New Nano or ipod for me?
Sep 16, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #61 of 97
I just got the new nano. Loving it so far. Sounds good with my K81DJ. I can't tell much difference from my friends 1st gen nano though.

The earbuds are actually decent. Bass is there. Soundstage is there, but not the greatest. Definitely an improvement over the lifeless first gen buds. Listened to them out of my pcdp.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #62 of 97
Nice to see some members getting them. The key question is, how do they sound!!!???
wink.gif

Id love the 5th gen, but it just doesn't suit my portibility requirements. Most reviews iv seen on the new 2nd gen, seem to think it sounds more or less like the first gen.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #63 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby
But don't tell me that they are the same, they are not. Take a look at what some others are experiencing in this thread about half way down, as just one example.

http://newaudiosociety.com/cgi-bin/y...num=1105648581

When you decompress ALAC you get *exactly* the same waveform that you get if you rip a CD to WAV. If you want to believe they are not the same, fine. I just want to stress to all other readers that it is totally unsubstantiated.

You could do CD-->WAV-->ALAC-->WAV-->CD and get an identical CD, bit per bit. But to you it will sound different. I let others come to their own conclusions.

Cheers to you and happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #64 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
Last I looked, they were around $150 US. So Monkey could get another and take his wife out to dinner a couple of times on the money saved. That oughta help smooth things over.

Actually, this has changed, big-time for H120s. Digitaloutlet, the initial seller of H120s and H140s on eBay, has apparently sold out, driving the price up quite a bit. H140s are difficult to find now, at least for a reasonable price. Makes the 5G refurb look all the better, if you're buyin'.

Sep 16, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #65 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob ♫
Actually, this has changed, big-time for H120s. Digitaloutlet, the initial seller of H120s and H140s on eBay, has apparently sold out, driving the price up quite a bit. H140s are difficult to find now, at least for a reasonable price. Makes the 5G refurb look all the better, if you're buyin'.

Word. Last month I bought a 120 for $118 shipped from Digitaloutlet, but it was defective and they gave me the option to fix it or return my money, I just got the refund.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #66 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by honda
I own both. 5G has a clearer sound and a bit more bass. I just got a new 8gb Nano though. I don't recommend getting 5G if you use listen to lots of lossless and uncompressed files like I do. My 3G would freeze sometimes when trying to load the large files. 5G would play a few seconds of a large file and then skip once, and a second later, automatically goes to the next song. Not enough buffer or something wrong with the filling of buffer I guess. To resolve this, I got the 8gb Nano, 4gb not being enough for me. Problem solved. The Nano does not exhibit this behavior. I also noticed a bit more bass extension with low impedance earphones (under 35ohms), but there is less headroom to work with for higher impedance phones. I listen to ER-4S at about 85% volume on the 5G but at 95% on the Nano. Eagerly awaiting the new shuffle though...

Wow, I am surprised to hear that 5G iPods were still skipping with lossless! My 3g does it enough to annoy the hell out of me but I thought that was resolved. My new nano plays lossless perfectly. I am glad I got a nano instead of the 30gb ipod!

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #67 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard
The odds of anyone successfully being able to tell the difference between lossless and wav in a real ABX test (double blind, volume matched, etc.) are about zero, unless there is a serious flaw in your decoder. The odds of being able to tell the difference in any other sort of test are much higher.

I honestly could hear the difference between itunes 320aac and lossless in my ipods with my e500s. BUT I also am surprised on how good the itunes aac sounds out of the ipod. It's not that huge of a difference from the itunes lossless. It makes sense that when you use the software made SPECIFICALLY for the player it will make it sound real good.

Sep 16, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #68 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman
When you decompress ALAC you get *exactly* the same waveform that you get if you rip a CD to WAV. If you want to believe they are not the same, fine. I just want to stress to all other readers that it is totally unsubstantiated.

You could do CD-->WAV-->ALAC-->WAV-->CD and get an identical CD, bit per bit. But to you it will sound different. I let others come to their own conclusions.

Cheers to you and happy listening.
smily_headphones1.gif

This is 100% correct. I'm sure there are plenty over at Hydrogen Audio who have looked into this, I know a physicist who is an audio enthusiast who works at the NRC Audio Physics Lab here in Ottawa (one of the world's most sophisticated speaker testing facilities) and he once did a test of various algorithms, mp3, ogg, FLAC, ALAC, APE and the waveform for WAVE and the lossless were identical. So, besides bit for bit reproduction which was already a given, the waveform output was the same. I'm not sure if he published but I saw this with my own eyes...so that is enough for me. Beyond of course the fact that my ears can't tell the difference and my gear is certainly up to the task, as are my ears.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:02 AM Post #69 of 97
Back on track (again): I ordered the 60GB refurb for $229. Too good a deal to pass up. I'll revisit the Nano at another time. Probably after I sell my 3G and some other stuff. I'm looking forward to the photo feature more than I thought.

Sep 16, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #70 of 97
Photo function puts the "photo fun" in "photo function." Such fun includes this picture of me and my brothers.

pic.jpg

Get the ZVW! I like m3h ZVM because there's the whole plug-and-play aspect. I don't need iTunes and my comp doesn't freeze when checking for updates to My Library. That is t3h convenience to t3h m@x0r!

Sep 16, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #71 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchjordan
Nice to see some members getting them. The key question is, how do they sound!!!???
wink.gif

Id love the 5th gen, but it just doesn't suit my portibility requirements. Most reviews iv seen on the new 2nd gen, seem to think it sounds more or less like the first gen.

i want to know too and not just comparing with ipods. i hope somebody can compare the new ipod/nano to other brands, ie i-audio and i-river

Sep 16, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #72 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by joneeboi
Photo function puts the "photo fun" in "photo function." Such fun includes this picture of me and my brothers.

Get the ZVW! I like m3h ZVM because there's the whole plug-and-play aspect. I don't need iTunes and my comp doesn't freeze when checking for updates to My Library. That is t3h convenience to t3h m@x0r!

eek.gif
eek.gif
My eyes are burning.

If iTunes is the only thing keeping you from an iPod (and there are many other reasons a different DAP might be preffered), then don't worry about it. There are multiple other ways of managing your iPod, including drag-and-drop if you install Rockbox. Mediamonkey, Yamipod, and Ephpod are also popular ways of managing your iPod not using iTunes.

Sep 16, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #74 of 97
I have intelligently removed the pic from my quote. Hopefully it can be contained... things like this tend to spread if they're not treated with care. Hazmat suits must be used at all times!

Sep 16, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #75 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by bonethugz
i want to know too and not just comparing with ipods. i hope somebody can compare the new ipod/nano to other brands, ie i-audio and i-river

tried new iPod Nano and 5.5G iPod today.
iAudio x5 > iPod Nano > 5.5G iPod thru Headphone jack

iAudio x5 is FAR more superior in soundquality. it makes the sound of nano crappy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back