New Nano or ipod for me?
Sep 12, 2006 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

The Monkey

Monkey See, Monkey DAC
A really sick dud
I "need" to update my 3G ipod. Thinking either the 8GB Nano or one of the ipods. I don't care that much about the video. SQ and durability are much more important to me. But I wouldn't mind putting some photos of my son on it. Advise me wise ones!

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 97
lol, I don't know...

One thing I'm wondering is whether buying the ipod now is dumb because the "real" video ipod is around the corner. But I guess that's always the case.

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 97
Well, if video isn't a factor to you then I don't know why that would matter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by sethsez
Well, if video isn't a factor to you then I don't know why that would matter.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, good point. But maybe by then it will matter. Oy, technology...
rolleyes.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 97
Since 'who knows' is probably the correct answer, I'll pretend I have some insight and say ...

Get the nano. Wait for the "true" video iPod likely in January. You'll even save money on a case as it shouldn't be necessary. Of course there's that shuffle too.
wink.gif

Sep 12, 2006 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 97
If SQ is the most important don't get an iPod
tongue.gif
You are used to iTunes so iPod is probably the only way to go. I had a 3G for a few months. Couldn't stand the quality.

I would get the nano since it has no harddrive. That's more durability right there. BUT could you deal with the loss of space?

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #10 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
If SQ is the most important don't get an iPod
tongue.gif
You are used to iTunes so iPod is probably the only way to go. I had a 3G for a few months. Couldn't stand the quality.

I'm pretty much married to itunes and my mac, but I do have a H120 to use with my Microstack.
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Quote:

I would get the nano since it has no harddrive. That's more durability right there. BUT could you deal with the loss of space?

It's a good question. I think the answer is no. Mainly because I don't want to put up with the hassle of deciding what to leave off the Nano. Plus, I guess if I want pics, they'll be hard to see on that little screen.

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 97
fyi the "new" ipod video is nothing really different than the "old" ipod video. you get a brighter screen and they somehow reworked how it deals with video to get longer video playback since the music playback length is the same (this would indicate that the battery is physically the same). all the new functions can be done to the "old" with the new firmware update.

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0ssumjenkins
fyi the "new" ipod video is nothing really different than the "old" ipod video. you get a brighter screen and they somehow reworked how it deals with video to get longer video playback since the music playback length is the same (this would indicate that the battery is physically the same). all the new functions can be done to the "old" with the new firmware update.

Actually, the new iPod Videos have a new CPU (or at least that's what I've read, who knows with all the misinformation being thrown around during the show).

Sep 12, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by ouchia
anyone know how many lossless files you can fit on an 8g or 4g ipod nano? i'd appreciate it, thanks...

you save like 55-60% compared to wav witl lossless "compression", so do the math
tongue.gif

say 280-300MB/cd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back