New Nano or ipod for me?
Sep 19, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #91 of 97
Dusk ....8gb nano all the way. I use mine unamped with my e500s and am in heaven with the sound. Have no plans whatsoever for an amp, I'm that happy with it.

When the new ipods come out you'll want them anyway so just get the nano and you won't need the shuffle for the gym because the nano is small enough for it. Especially unamped.

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:21 AM Post #92 of 97
From iLounge's new ipod review:

24.jpg

"As it stands, the choice between today's full-sized 30GB iPod and new 8GB iPod nano is, in our view, a draw: if you're trying to decide between them, it should be fairly easy: if small size and audio run time are your key considerations, go with the nano, otherwise, pick the higher-capacity, video and game-ready 5G. That said, new iPod owners will be thrilled with either 5G model's performance for the dollar - especially the capacious, long-running 80GB; unless a bigger screen is a requisite, existing iPod owners will find these models exceptionally tempting."

Sep 19, 2006 at 3:23 AM Post #93 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by dusk
I am also debating between the 5.5g and 2G nano. (I got a 5.5g for my birthday and haven't opened it yet).

Currently, I have a pint mini3fied amp (from AKZip), and plan on buying a line out dock as well as rockboxing (for FLAC) whichever ipod I decide upon. (I did some research and wasn't able to confirm if rockbox even does video).

I'm also trying to find some good IEM's to match this setup. (Looking into the er-4s, but open to suggestions on this too.).

I'm leaning more towards the Nano with plans to re-evaluate in January when the "true" video ipods come out.

I plan on using it amped during my commute to school, and will probably just end up getting a shuffle for running and the gym.

Thoughts?

If you're gonna amp, there's no point in having the smaller DAP, right?

Sep 22, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #94 of 97
To Gorman, Nice Cans and others who have been telling me I am hearing things with respect to my comments about WAV sounding better than Apple Lossless.

YOU ARE RIGHT! They do sound the same.

Since I posted what I thought I heard, I have been educated on ABX testing to a small degree and did some more tests with itunes and the 3 cuts I had used to determine that wav was better sounding to me. With itunes and running from my soundcard to my headphone amp and cans, I was able to do tests by positioniing the time cursor to the same spot and listening over and over and back and forth between the WAV and ALAC.

No difference!

My sincere apologies to any and all who I may have offended with my comments and thanks for the posts. I am now a firm believer in the placebo effect.

cheers
Bixby

Sep 23, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #95 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by bixby
My sincere apologies to any and all who I may have offended with my comments and thanks for the posts. I am now a firm believer in the placebo effect.

No offense at all, I was actually more worried about you convincing other people of something that, basically, could cut in half their storace space... for no good reason!
wink.gif

In any case, major kudos to you for coming here and telling us this. It requires guts to admit one's error. Cheers!
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #96 of 97
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard
Constantly change? It takes me weeks to listen to everything on a 4gb nano.

I think you're missing something here, or perhaps your musical habits are different. When I'm loading the player, I don't know what I'm going to want to hear. I like (no, I LOVE) having a sudden musical craving for something out of my CD collection that I haven't heard or even thought of for years... and hey hey, guess what? It's on my iPod already. I've got 23GB of music and I want every last byte with me at all times. Until they come out with a 30GB Nano that's not the player for me.

Sep 24, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #97 of 97
Went with the nano (black8g) based on its flash hdd, size, and anodized case. I'll be using it about 50/50 amped/unamped... it was a hard decision but I think I'll be happy with it. Now all I need to wait for is rockbox support.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back