New Naim headphone amp/DAC
May 28, 2013 at 8:13 AM Post #136 of 193
Quote:
All the Naim test files passed their BitPerfect tests using the BitPerfect player, except one of the 384 or 352 files, so I deleted them, because they are not relevant.

Why are they not relevant?

I have two.. affordable... USB cables. Both are cited to be USB 2.0, both show "High Speed" in the V1's settings.

The first one, which is 28awg and 0.5meters, can pass bitperfect tests up to 24/96.

The second one, which is 24awg and 1 meter, can pass bitperfect tests up to 24/192.

I'm very tempted to buy an "audio" USB cable...

May 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #137 of 193
For what it's worth, I have a 3 meter Chord USB cable and that passes all the bit perfect tests, fed by an Asus laptop running Windows 7.

Quote:

I have two.. affordable... USB cables. Both are cited to be USB 2.0, both show "High Speed" in the V1's settings.

The first one, which is 28awg and 0.5meters, can pass bitperfect tests up to 24/96.

The second one, which is 24awg and 1 meter, can pass bitperfect tests up to 24/192.

May 28, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #138 of 193
I'm going to try something a little higher up the USB cable chain. Might end up getting D-fi cables (stocked by the local Naim dealer).

How fast is that Asus laptop Paul? And what player are you using? I'm using a Sony with a i7-2620 (so not current gen) although I can't imagine that being "too slow".

My DAC has been playing for about 5 hours so far. It's definitely smoother, more natural sounding, and more resolving than my other sources (HTC One/Sansa Clip+). Seems less "coloured" than I remember it being at the dealer. Listening through JH16s.

May 28, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #139 of 193
Quote:
I'm going to try something a little higher up the USB cable chain. Might end up getting D-fi cables (stocked by the local Naim dealer).

How fast is that Asus laptop Paul? And what player are you using? I'm using a Sony with a i7-2620 (so not current gen) although I can't imagine that being "too slow".

My DAC has been playing for about 5 hours so far. It's definitely smoother, more natural sounding, and more resolving than my other sources (HTC One/Sansa Clip+). Seems less "coloured" than I remember it being at the dealer. Listening through JH16s.

It's an i7 Q720  @ 1.6Ghz and I'm running JRiver 18 as a player, with Fidelizer running (which shuts down some processes to improve performance).

May 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #141 of 193
Quote:
Switched to JRiver 18 and ran fidelizer, no difference. Have done a system restart too. I wonder if it's really the cables...

I presume that you mean the bit-perfect tests still failed? It shouldn't be your processor that's affecting the results as I think it's a higher specification than the one I'm running.

Did-you re-run Fidelizer after the restart? It isn't persistent, you have to re-run it after every re-boot. I wouldn't swear that it was even running when I ran the tests, though.

Plus you, need to read the DAC-V1 manual carefully to get the set-up right to pass the bit-perfect tests; you especially must set the JRiver volume to maximum.

If that's all ok, it may be down to the cables, especially as you originally got different results from those cables that you have...

That would be an interesting result for those that claim that cables make no difference (especially if carrying computer data) and that 'bits are bits'. You'd send the Sound Science forum into meltdown, which would be fun 
size]

May 29, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #143 of 193
Quote:

I presume that you mean the bit-perfect tests still failed? It shouldn't be your processor that's affecting the results as I think it's a higher specification than the one I'm running.

Did-you re-run Fidelizer after the restart? It isn't persistent, you have to re-run it after every re-boot. I wouldn't swear that it was even running when I ran the tests, though.

Plus you, need to read the DAC-V1 manual carefully to get the set-up right to pass the bit-perfect tests; you especially must set the JRiver volume to maximum.

If that's all ok, it may be down to the cables, especially as you originally got different results from those cables that you have...

That would be an interesting result for those that claim that cables make no difference (especially if carrying computer data) and that 'bits are bits'. You'd send the Sound Science forum into meltdown, which would be fun 
size]

Fixed it. A wireworld ultraviolet didn't help - what did is using a usb port on the laptop itself (my laptop is a Vaio Z and it has a "docking station" which I thought was enumerating a new set of usb ports, but apparently was just a hub. 

May 29, 2013 at 10:11 PM Post #144 of 193
Quote:

I deleted the 352 and 384 test files, because I don't have any music at that resolution, nor do I ever anticipate owning music at that resolution. Being bitperfect at that resolution would never concern me. Hence, those test files aren't relevant to me. I don't have the patience to find out why one or two of the files failed. I have no idea whether the files would have passed with Audirvana.

May 30, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #146 of 193
Okay, that's a possibility. Although I am using the preferred USB port on my Mac (potentially better sounding). Which to me, outweighs any worry about being bitperfect at 24/352 or 24/384. But I appreciate the suggestion.

May 31, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #147 of 193
Quote:
Okay, that's a possibility. Although I am using the preferred USB port on my Mac (potentially better sounding). Which to me, outweighs any worry about being bitperfect at 24/352 or 24/384. But I appreciate the suggestion.

Ah. Well, I suggest this because it fixed the bitperfect tests for me.

I have heard that the usb port makes a difference, and I wold be inclined to trust a port which reports "bitperfect" at all test levels.

If you have time to spare :D

Jun 4, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #149 of 193
Just took delivery of my DAC-V1 today.
First impressions are positive, with it running nicely into a Naim NAP140.
I tried it briefly with my HE-4's (which can reduce a lesser amp to tears) and it still had a little headroom left at high listening volume.
Will compare properly with my Bel Canto DAC1.5 / Lake People G109 combo once it has had some time to burn in.

Jun 5, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #150 of 193
Quote:
Just took delivery of my DAC-V1 today.
First impressions are positive, with it running nicely into a Naim NAP140.
I tried it briefly with my HE-4's (which can reduce a lesser amp to tears) and it still had a little headroom left at high listening volume.
Will compare properly with my Bel Canto DAC1.5 / Lake People G109 combo once it has had some time to burn in.

Hope you enjoy it, and please post further impressions once it has burned in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back