New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Jan 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 193

Julian H

Head-Fier
I know Naim are not big on here but this looks like a cracking new product for those fans of products from Salisbury, England.

http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/dac-v1

Cheers, Julian

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #3 of 193
That looks like it could be a great all-in-one solution. I couldn't find the price for it on their website though (never a good sign), and then searching the internets for a dealer in California or online also turned up nothing. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #5 of 193
I heard it will be under $2k. If it's like their streamers/servers/DAC, they've likely come up with a better mouse trap for the computer usb connection. Looks like they've paid some real attention to the included headphone out for a change as well.
bigsmile_face.gif
 Proof will be in a listen but it's nice to see a product well tuned to this market from them.

Jan 10, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 193
Hi

The DIN is for connecting to Naim poweramps. It could be used with an adaptor cable as suggested but it would not be balanced, just single ended.

The more I look at this product, the more I want it for my study. I doubt it would be as good as a Headline though, which uses external dedicated power supply.

Cheers, Julian

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 193
The DIN is Naims preferred connector. It is an alternative to RCA or XLR. 

In pre-historic times DIN was the industry standard. There are several types of DIN connectors, and Naim uses it to connect audio signals, ground and even power between their components. 

Naim claims DIN is better due to its flexibility and the fact that it has a strand for common ground bla bla. 

Quote:
Whats the deal with this 4 pin "DIN" output jack? Does an adapter branch that out into two balanced 3 pin XLR cables?

Jan 10, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #9 of 193
http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2013-naim-looks-to-desktop-audio-with-dac-v1-preampdac-and-nap-100-power-amplifier

I have owned a Naim integrated, a Naim headphone amp and a aim DAC - all which I found to be good stuff. This little person looks promising - I am curious about the headphone specs....

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 193
It is not just the common ground that Naim prefer the DIN connection for. It's also to do with the electrical properties of the pins over and above those on RCA's. What that is, I am not sure. What I can say from certainty is that their kit does sound better when used with the DIN connection over the phono, where they make both available.

Also, Naim provide most of the cables to connect their gear in the box. These cables are of excellent a quality IMO, which saves me from worrying about sourcing cables elsewhere.

Cheers, Julian

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #11 of 193
Quote:
It is not just the common ground that Naim prefer the DIN connection for. It's also to do with the electrical properties of the pins over and above those on RCA's. What that is, I am not sure. What I can say from certainty is that their kit does sound better when used with the DIN connection over the phono, where they make both available.

Also, Naim provide most of the cables to connect their gear in the box. These cables are of excellent a quality IMO, which saves me from worrying about sourcing cables elsewhere.

Cheers, Julian

You can always choose not to care about cable upgrades, but even with DIN cables, there are aftermarket options. Chord have DIN, I also tried cables from AR Sound, which I prefered to stock Naim. 

Jan 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 193
Hi

I have not tried the AR alternatives but I have heard many in the Chord range of interconnects and have still preferred the stock leads. I actually prefer the stock leads to Naims own HiLine interconnect too.

Cheers, Julian

Jan 11, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #13 of 193
There is some further detail posted on the Naim forum; part way down this page 
http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayForumTopic/content/22826037082747394/page/6

Highlights;
  1. USB interface is licensed from Audiophilleo
  2. DAC section is similar to ND5XS and SuperUniti
  3. Headphone amp circuit is new, Class A, "and will do justice to very good headphones"

This all sounds very promising...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back