New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Sep 15, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #166 of 193
I guess it should sound very neutral ? English sounding characteristic ?
wink.gif

Sep 27, 2013 at 3:12 AM Post #168 of 193
I just bought SuperNait2 integrated amplifier. They have upgraded the headphone amp to a whole new level compared to the old SuperNait I owned before. It drives my HD600 effortlessly. Sound characteristics now, after about 72 hours of burn in, are pretty clean and easygoing. I've been out of the headphone game so long that I can't make any detailed comparisons or review but it does its job very well. On the speaker side, SuperNait2 is easilly the best integrated amplifier I've ever heard. One of the key aspects to its sound is the punchiness and extreme grip and control over the music. This punchiness seems to be lacking slightly in the headphone out or then my HD600 are really getting old and need to be replaced soon.

Sep 27, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #169 of 193
  ...This punchiness seems to be lacking slightly in the headphone out or then my HD600 are really getting old and need to be replaced soon.

It's not your 600s. I've had a chance to listen to the new Naits extensively and while the amps are very nice the headphone out is somewhat of a disappointment. Clear and articulate (OK for TV and movies) but lacks punch (barely adequate for music).

Sep 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #170 of 193
  It's not your 600s. I've had a chance to listen to the new Naits extensively and while the amps are very nice the headphone out is somewhat of a disappointment. Clear and articulate (OK for TV and movies) but lacks punch (barely adequate for music).

Let's see what happens when I get more hours for the amp. The headphone out have got some positive reviews and there should be some real effort put in to it. HD600 is not known as the punchiest sounding headphone out there also. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #172 of 193
I haven't owned HD600s for quite a while but if memory serves me they need a lot of juice before they become punchy.

On paper I would tend to think something like the Shure 840s would work well with the Naim.

As far as run in period is concerned I haven't done any critical listening but I "may" have noticed a small improvement on the HP out. On the other hand the amp itself, as Naims are known to do, has gone through a few changes over three weeks and has finally settled down to a very nice sounding piece of gear.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #173 of 193
  The HD600 needs a decent headphone amp before you'll experience what it is really capable of. Rumours that it's not the punchiest sounding headphone out there have been greatly exaggerated.

Luckily I don't have to base my comment on rumours. I used to drive them through Lehmann BCL which is more than capable of running these things. I've also owned HD650 in the past which I used in several different systems so I know HD600 lacks in lower end compared to HD650. I actually changed from HD650 to HD600 over five years ago because I liked the slightly clearer presentation and the fact that there's less lower end in HD600. Of course it always comes to matching the headphone with the rest of the system. Now I bought SuperNait2 because of its capabilities with speakers. Upgraded headphone amplifier is a definite plus and one of the reasons I upgraded though. If HD600 isn't good match with it, I might experience with other headphones. Somehow I have this feeling that HD650 would be a better match for SuperNait2.

I'm actually listening to some Moderat through HD600 as we speak (or write). Some heavy bass lines here and now they definitely come out punchier than they did when I wrote my previous post. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #176 of 193
  I doubt it would be as good as a Headline though, which uses external dedicated power supply.
hDDnd7

I'm sure you're right, but as a Headline + HiCap costs nearly as much as the V1 and doesn't include a top quality DAC, it's hardly a fair comparison

Julian H has posted earlier in this thread that he prefers his Headline to the V1's headphone section

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #177 of 193
  I just bought SuperNait2 integrated amplifier. They have upgraded the headphone amp to a whole new level compared to the old SuperNait I owned before. It drives my HD600 effortlessly. Sound characteristics now, after about 72 hours of burn in, are pretty clean and easygoing. I've been out of the headphone game so long that I can't make any detailed comparisons or review but it does its job very well. On the speaker side, SuperNait2 is easilly the best integrated amplifier I've ever heard. One of the key aspects to its sound is the punchiness and extreme grip and control over the music. This punchiness seems to be lacking slightly in the headphone out or then my HD600 are really getting old and need to be replaced soon.

That is one hell of an amp. How does the Nait XS-2 compare to the SuperNait? Thinking of driving small speakers in my bedroom.

Dec 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM Post #178 of 193
I've owned a few Naims in the past and auditioned all the new Naits as well as the DAC V1/NAP100 combo. I ended up with the XS2. The SN2 has tighter bass, slightly better detail retrieval and is clearer all around. It's no doubt a nice piece of equipment but a lot more expensive than the XS2

The XS2 has a softer sound but still has enough drive and grunt to get the job done with rock, blues, electronica. It is possibly a bit more forgiving on lesser recordings.

The HP output is the same on both and is, in my opinion, rather disappointing. It is excellent for movies and TV. For music I prefer the warmth of my Violectric V200.

The Nait 5si uses a different HP output and is a good choice for anyone wanting to get a taste of Naim for a relatively small investment.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #179 of 193
I just got a pair of Fostex TH-900 and they sound terrific with the V1; they're both really musical sounding.

My previous V1 broke and has been replaced, and is not yet run-in, yet it still sounds good with the new headphones, so by next weekend should the combination should be sounding very special.

Dec 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #180 of 193
Not familiar with the Fostex but if they are easy to drive with more than average bass they should be a good match for the Naim.

BTW - How do you rate the DAC section of the V1 and compared to what?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back