New Naim headphone amp/DAC
May 4, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #121 of 193
Quote:
I bought the Naim V1 dac today after a demo at the dealer with my system and cables. On the Counting Crows album (august and everything after) i found some songs showed some sibilance in the vocals. Does the Naim V1 have that tendency?

No, it doesn't.

If you'd like to post which tracks you found sibiliance on I'll try them from Spotify to see if I get the same result.

May 4, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #122 of 193
Quote:
I bought the Naim V1 dac today after a demo at the dealer with my system and cables. On the Counting Crows album (august and everything after) i found some songs showed some sibilance in the vocals. Does the Naim V1 have that tendency?
I should note that the dac was not completly burned in.
Also note that i use Van Damme LOFC speakercable at home.

Tested on:
Chord prodac > Naim V1 > Chord Cobra 3 > Naimxs > Van Den Hull CS122 > Dynaudio X12

I was sure when i had the demo about my disission to buy the dac, but now i have serious doubts

I just tried one track from that album; it's very sibilant, to the point of being unpleasant to listen to.

I haven't noticed it on anything in my collection though, so I think it's the recording that's at fault.

May 5, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #123 of 193
The reason that i ask this question is because i had sibilance problems with my setup in the past (absolutely not with my current regadac). So i hope that its only that recording and that eveything goes well. A track that is also somewhat sibilant on certain systems (Eddie Vedder - Hard Sun) sounded awesome on the V1. I just hope that i made a good choice.

May 10, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #126 of 193
I hope so, because i dont like the way it sounds now.

edit: I did a comparison with the Rega Vs my new V1 DAC:

The rega is more alive with a tendecy to focus on the upper frequencies. The naim is more balanced, but also a bit boring. neither are sharp sounding. 

In the midrange the naim is more expressive. and the rega more shutin

The bass of the rega is no match for the naim, both good, but different

I hope further burn in will improve the detail in the high frequencies of the naim, because now i find it nothing special, and that is ashame

May 10, 2013 at 12:53 PM Post #127 of 193
Quote:
I hope so, because i dont like the way it sounds now.

edit: I did a comparison with the Rega Vs my new V1 DAC:

The rega is more alive with a tendecy to focus on the upper frequencies. The naim is more balanced, but also a bit boring. neither are sharp sounding. 

In the midrange the naim is more expressive. and the rega more shutin

The bass of the rega is no match for the naim, both good, but different

I hope further burn in will improve the detail in the high frequencies of the naim, because now i find it nothing special, and that is ashame

It really ought to sound the same as when you had the demo; mine sounds identical.

Unless of course there is some significant difference between what you heard on demo and what you have at home...

On your point about treble, both the Rega and the V1 have the reputation of being somewhat dark sounding. I can't say that I find the V1 lacking in treble detail, but I do detest bright hi-fi that pushes arguably false detail at you.

May 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #130 of 193
Something like that. The dac was also fuctioning as a preamp and sended the signal to the preamp of my naitxs. Until i changed the settings in the dac so that the volume is locked.

The detail of the naim v1 is wonderfull, unlike anything else i heard. 

May 18, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #133 of 193
Quote:
How much power does this put out? 
I don't think it's published.

V1 has an oversize transformer for a headphone DAC/Amp
It's actually relatively modest for Naim equipment; their pre-amps such as the DAC-V1 tend to scale well with bigger power supplies, but the DAC-V1 is limited to the one that is built-in.

May 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #134 of 193
Quote:
It's actually relatively modest for Naim equipment; their pre-amps such as the DAC-V1 tend to scale well with bigger power supplies, but the DAC-V1 is limited to the one that is built-in.

One thing that impresses me the most with the higher-end Naim DAC is the soundstage and the smoothness of the treble that it gives to headphones like Beyer T1.
There is no way that DAC-V1 can replicate that kind of performance but for £1250, how close it gets to the bigger brother?

May 25, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #135 of 193
Hi,
Quote:
How much power does this put out? 

Looks like pukka Naim Kit on the inside! Nicely made on the outside too.

Tried it last weekend at hom (but did not open it up).

No patch on me CDS into the big rig, sorry Naim (but then, I tried the Naim DAC and prefer the sound from me CDS).

But not bad at all next to my iFi DAC and iCAN Headamp on 'cans, missing the iCAN 3D sound though. Still, nice, clean, one box. I can see it go far.

Cheerio Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back