New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Apr 20, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #91 of 193
Quote:
Paul and Julian...thanks for your comments, by the way. Once in a while I turn up the volume to see how the DAC is sounding. Only time will tell. By the way, do you guys have any idea why the 16 bit test samples ended up with the message "no test audio found" while I did the BitPerfect analysis?

I've had a look at the OS-X set-up guide, and while I'm a PC user I think that the instructions mean that only the 24-bit test files will play as bit-perfect; as per page 3 of the guide, where it shows the Audio Midi setup.

I'll try the test on the PC to see what result I get, as my PC is also set to 44.1/24 bit as per Naim's suggestion.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #92 of 193
Thanks Paul. I wonder why they include the 16 bit files? Also, setting the computer to 44.1/24 seems inconsequential, because Audirvana is just going to change it on the fly anyway, to what's needed.

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #93 of 193
The reason for my earlier comment by the way was this note in the manual (under section 5.3.1);

"Ensure that the audio sample rate and bit depth
specified in the Windows Sound Control Panel or OS 
X Audio MIDI Setup application matches the sample 
rate and bit depth of the BitPerfect test file to be 
used. See Sections 2.1.2, 2.1.3 or 2.2.2."

Having said that, both the 16 and 24-bit files fail the test on my PC... it's probably me being dozy, but it is after midnight so that's not altogether surprising! 
size]

Apr 20, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #94 of 193
Quote:
Also, setting the computer to 44.1/24 seems inconsequential, because Audirvana is just going to change it on the fly anyway, to what's needed.

I believe this is the same for Jriver, which is what I'm using. At least for sample rate, not sure about bit depth.

You can also force Jriver to re-sample based on the source sample rate and/or bit depth, e.g. force 44.1k to 88.2/176.4/etc.

Apr 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #95 of 193
Quote:
The reason for my earlier comment by the way was this note in the manual (under section 5.3.1);

"Ensure that the audio sample rate and bit depth
specified in the Windows Sound Control Panel or OS 
X Audio MIDI Setup application matches the sample 
rate and bit depth of the BitPerfect test file to be 
used. See Sections 2.1.2, 2.1.3 or 2.2.2."

Having said that, both the 16 and 24-bit files fail the test on my PC... it's probably me being dozy, but it is after midnight so that's not altogether surprising! 
size]

hmmm...they also say further down from that:

NOTE: If iTunes or Window Media Player are used for audio 
playback they must be quit and restarted every time the 
sample rate or bit depth is changed.
NOTE: "If alternatives to Windows Media Player or iTunes 
are used for audio playback, the Windows Sound Control 
Panel or OS X Audio MIDI Setup application bit depth and 
sample rate settings may not be relevant."

So does that mean during the test that these settings aren't relevant if using a third party player?

It's confusing. And be very careful with the volume on your amp. While playing around with all of this, I might not have selected Bit Perfect on the DAC menu immediately, when the test file played, and I got a high pitched squeal from my left speaker. Not very loud, but you always worry about your tweeter, etc, and I had to turn the volume on my Nait integrated to zero, just to be careful. (The DAC's outputs are muted when the test is selected, so I don't think the sound coming through was during the test).

So, I hope the fact that 24 bit test files passed the test means that Audirvana is bit perfect for me, across the board, when I use it with my DAC. Is it safe to assume that it is bit perfect when 16 bit music is played?

Apr 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM Post #96 of 193
Quote:
hmmm...they also say further down from that:

"If alternatives to Windows Media Player or iTunes 
are used for audio playback, the Windows Sound Control 
Panel or OS X Audio MIDI Setup application bit depth and 
sample rate settings may not be relevant."

So does that mean during the test that these settings aren't relevant if using a third party player?

[snip]

So, I hope the fact that 24 bit test files passed the test means that Audirvana is bit perfect for me, across the board, when I use it with my DAC. Is it safe to assume that it is bit perfect when 16 bit music is played?

I figured out what my PC problem was; I had both volume levelling on, and headphone cross-feed enabled. I switched both off, and then all sample rate and bit depth tests passed.

So, we can conclude that if the set up is correct the player overrides the Windows settings, and assuming that Naim's above statement is correct the same could happen with OS-X.

I did have a quick read of the Audirvana set up guide, and couldn't spot anything that affects bit depth so I can't even guess why you're not getting bit perfect results for the 16-bit files.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #97 of 193
Hi Guys,
One week now with the V1. Close to 100 hours on it. It ran almost continuously during the day.Tried it with my RS1i, PS500 and W1000x. Tried it as a Dac only into my Mapletree Super II and as a HP amp. I heard it open as a HP amp, the sound changed from thin to full. The best HP for it, IMO, is the PS500 which has somewhat recessed highs and fuller bass than the RS1i. The sound I get with the V1/P500 combo is very detailled, nice balance, v good bass, full and rythmic, all the notes are clear even when played on the doublebass. This is my best pairing as of now with the V1 as a HP amp.

On the other hand, the V1 with the RS1i through the USB gives me pretty much the Naim sound. Same character as my SU/250/Allaes system.

But my "coup de coeur" is when I plug the V1 into the Mapletree using it as a Dac only ( V1's pre on fixed volume ). With the RS1i, I get a full tube sound with all the details that the Dac and the RS1i provide. The best of both worlds. Very different from my previous Dac which was a Moon 100d ( the V1 cost 3x the Moon but the Moon is a Dac only while the V1 is also a pre and an HP amp ).
So my opinion as of now is that the V1 is worth the investment. I'm very satisfied with what I get in return. But I think I"ll mainly use it as a Dac only into the Mapletree Super II HP amp. Next step is to try it through the 250 just to hear what it can do with the big guys.

Apr 21, 2013 at 8:55 AM Post #98 of 193
Paul, I went through the Setup Mode Menu and Settings Menu instructions in the manual, and don't see anything about volume levelling or headphone cross-feed, so I assume you are referring to preferences in your player, Jriver. I have Audirvana setup exactly as specified by Naim, so it's weird why it says no test files were found when Naim's 16 bit test files were used.

Apr 21, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #99 of 193
Does anyone know if the DAC-V1 really supports integer mode? Integer seems to be lit green on my "desktop transport" when using Audirvana, but when using the BitPerfect player it says "NO" to integer mode in the preferences and the Integer Mode checkbox is greyed out. 

All the Naim test files passed their BitPerfect tests using the BitPerfect player, except one of the 384 or 352 files, so I deleted them, because they are not relevant.

Anyone know where the firmware update file for the DAC can be found? Naim says go to "http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/dac-v1", but that just takes you back to the general DAC-V1 page. I'm sure the DAC is probably up to date, but I just wanted to check it out.

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:09 AM Post #101 of 193
Quote:
Does anyone know if the DAC-V1 really supports integer mode? Integer seems to be lit green on my "desktop transport" when using Audirvana, but when using the BitPerfect player it says "NO" to integer mode in the preferences and the Integer Mode checkbox is greyed out. 

All the Naim test files passed their BitPerfect tests using the BitPerfect player, except one of the 384 or 352 files, so I deleted them, because they are not relevant.

Anyone know where the firmware update file for the DAC can be found? Naim says go to "http://www.naimaudio.com/hifi-products/pdt-type/dac-v1", but that just takes you back to the general DAC-V1 page. I'm sure the DAC is probably up to date, but I just wanted to check it out.

Interesting that you got different results with BitPerfect than Audirvana...

Ref. firmware, if anywhere I'd expect it to be under the 'Manuals and Downloads' tab, but I can't see it there. Have Naim said that there is a firmware update?

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #102 of 193
Quote:
Next step is to try it through the 250 just to hear what it can do with the big guys.

Glad to hear that you're enjoying the V1. It should work really well with the 250; I heard that combination (indirectly as there was also a 282/Hi-Cap connected), and it sounded very good. I love the 250; I've had mine for 25 years, since when it was Naim's flagship power amp.

Apr 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #103 of 193
Quote:

Interesting that you got different results with BitPerfect than Audirvana...

Ref. firmware, if anywhere I'd expect it to be under the 'Manuals and Downloads' tab, but I can't see it there. Have Naim said that there is a firmware update?

No. I just wanted to run the Firmware Update process and see that it works okay, which would further confirm that everything is bitperfect — the manual says that "DAC-V1 and audio playback application should be confirmed BitPerfect at 24bit/44.1kHz" to do the firmware update.

I just want to get the most out of this DAC. I want it to sound it's best.

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #104 of 193
I tested Beyerdynamic T1 with Beyer Amp A1 & Naim DAC (not the V1, the older, more expensive sibling), and the combination sounds heavenly, celestial. The amount of air in between the instruments is just massive, soundstage is incredible! 

Apr 21, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #105 of 193

Users who are viewing this thread

Back