New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #62 of 193
The 650s sounded ridiculously good for a relatively inexpensive headphone, the only issue now is I'm wondering how good LCD-2 or 3s or Fostex 900s would sound... 

Would love to hear anyone's opinions on how the Naim synergizes with the TH900. The TH900 is a pretty easy to drive headphone and a low 30 ohm impedance, so not sure if the DAC-V1 will work well enough on it or not.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #63 of 193
Quote:
Would love to hear anyone's opinions on how the Naim synergizes with the TH900. The TH900 is a pretty easy to drive headphone and a low 30 ohm impedance, so not sure if the DAC-V1 will work well enough on it or not.

There shouldn't be any impedance mismatch issues as the DAC-V1 is designed to work from upwards of 16 ohms (according to Naim's support knowledge base; I would link to it but it seems to be down for maintenance at the moment). They didn't state the actual output impedance of the V1 though.

I have a Fostex retailer nearby but they don't sell Naim, so once I have my unit and it's burned in I'll request a demo and take it with me. That won't be for around a month, though. I plan to hear the LCDs and HiFiMans before that as I know of a Naim dealer that carries both.

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #65 of 193
My DAC-V1 arrived today and is now up and running. It's quite easy to set-up provided that you follow the instructions.

Note to any new owners; it does need to warm-up and burn-in. It sounds terrible from cold, very closed-in. This is consistent with what other owners have posted on the subject. Even an hour makes a dramatic difference to performance.

Apr 10, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #67 of 193
Quote:
How does it sound in terms of bass and treble? And how does it compare to the NaimDac /ND5XS?

Bass is tight and punchy, treble smooth and extended. Overall, 'smooth and dynamic' sum it up.

I've avoided listening to the DAC; that plus a Headline would have been my alternative to the V1, but it's double the price. I also haven't listened to the ND5 XS. 

Edit; I should have added that the V1 does not sound at all digital...

Apr 10, 2013 at 3:16 PM Post #69 of 193
Quote:
I have a rega now witch i do not like so much, how does it compare to the V1?

I am planning to use the dac with my Naitxs and Dynaudi X12 speakers.

Sorry, but I don't know as I haven't heard the Rega. The dealer that I bought the V1 from felt that it was better than the Rega DAC though; they sell both.

If it helps, the V1 definitely has Naim's usual virtues, i.e. it lets you connect with the music rather than thinking about the hi-fi. I'm using it with HD-650s, which some people find slow, but they don't sound like that with the V1.

Apr 13, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #73 of 193
I just got mine yesterday... My dealer's demo... 25 hours on it at the most... I'm truly impressed. I use it only as a DAC into my Mapletree Ear+ Super II but I tried it as a hp amp and it has the true Naim sound. It still need to break in but I think this is a major breakthrough for Naim. A pre, a hp amp and a DAC of this quality for this price coming from Naim is a statement IMO. I definitely not an expert but I think this is good value for money, at least for my money :xf_eek:)
Yip

Apr 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #75 of 193
Grado RS1i and Audio Technica W1000x. The mix is perfect with V1 connected to the Mapletree Super II. Maybe a lil too dynamic for my taste when the RS1i is connected directly into the V1. But its still early, I'll let it burn in. I also added BitPerfect to iTunes and its great. Only thing, I cant run it in "integer" mode. I checked: I'm running OSx10.8 and the V1 is on the list of the ones BitPerfect recognizes ( I sure hope so because Naim promotes it on the data base). I wonder why I can't....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back