New Naim headphone amp/DAC
Dec 7, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #181 of 193
  Not familiar with the Fostex but if they are easy to drive with more than average bass they should be a good match for the Naim.

BTW - How do you rate the DAC section of the V1 and compared to what?

They seem to be very easy to drive and are quite efficient (cf. HD-650s), and have excellent bass. I was brought up on Linn Saras and Isobariks, and latterly Shahinian Arcs, all of which produce proper bass if you drive them correctly, i.e. lots of punch, but no bloat.

Regarding the DAC, I'm very happy with it, compared to my LP12/Lingo/Ekos/Dynavector DV17 and Densen B400. The V1 is smooth and dynamic and definitely has the Naim trademark sense of rhythm, to the point that I'm not sure the Densen is worth keeping; and the B400 does rhythm very well. It was the first CD player I heard that didn't sound appalling after the LP12. But that was a while ago, and DAC technology moves on.

The V1 stomps all over my Arcam DV88, and original CypherLabs Algorythm Solo (which in turn stomps all over my old iPod with Wolfson DAC). And all of the many other digital sources I've ever heard but don't own, including the Naim CDX-2 (which was one of the better ones, but not as good as the Densen).

If you haven't yet checked out Jude's recent Winter 2013 guide, he described the DAC section of the V1 as "awesome", and he seems to have heard or owned just about everything that gets discussed around here.

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #182 of 193
Thanks for the detailed response.

I'd like to give it a try in my current setup. What's holding me back is price and redundancy.

I already have an integrated amp (XS2) with a preamp section and HP output, an ES9018 based DAC and a dedicated HP amp.

I wish Naim would come out with a stripped down version of the V1 at a lesser cost.

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #183 of 193
Just heard the V1 and was blown away by its mastery of subtlety and finesse, combined with punchy, dramatic presentation. That's a fine line to walk and, from what I heard, it does it artfully. 

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a competitor DAC that's worthy of a listen because it's a true peer of the V1 in terms of both sound quality and cost? 

Dec 14, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #184 of 193
  Just heard the V1 and was blown away by its mastery of subtlety and finesse, combined with punchy, dramatic presentation. That's a fine line to walk and, from what I heard, it does it artfully. 

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a competitor DAC that's worthy of a listen because it's a true peer of the V1 in terms of both sound quality and cost? 

Better than Naim stand-alone DAC?

Dec 14, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #185 of 193
Agreed. Wish NAIM would release something around the $1K mark or someone would make something that pairs very well with NAIM for less money. $2400 for the V1 without DSD/DXD capability...just can't do it.

Dec 29, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #187 of 193
Hello guys

I just got my Naim DAC V1 and I love its performance

But when I processed BitPerfect test, the DAC can't pass the test if the sample rate higher than 96 kHz....

I've already tried another USB port but still had the same result.

Should I try another USB cable?

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thx~!

Jan 1, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #188 of 193
  Hello guys

I just got my Naim DAC V1 and I love its performance

But when I processed BitPerfect test, the DAC can't pass the test if the sample rate higher than 96 kHz....

I've already tried another USB port but still had the same result.

Should I try another USB cable?

Does anyone else have the same problem?

Thx~!

Happy New Year, Guys!

By the way, no one have the same problem with me?

Jan 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #189 of 193
I'm considering this DAC for my LCD-X. I'm currently running a Peachtree dac-it x and HifiMan EF6. The duo performs very well with my HE-500's but I was to the point of wanting to send my LCD-X back. I went to a dealer today and listened to the DAV-V1 and it completely opened them up. I can return the aforementioned duo, but Jude's comments about the DAC and the fact that it seemed to run out of juice with the LCD-2s gives me pause. The LCD-X are much lower impedance, but typically means they need more current. Other early considerations are the soloist and the meridian prime unit, which Jude seemed to favor with the LCD-X. My luck with a blind pairing hasn't been so good. Has anyone else had experience with this DAC and the LCD-X?

May 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #190 of 193
I have sent Julian and Paul PMs so not to clog up this thread. I am very interested in learning more about Naim offerings for Headphones. Thanks for the information and feedback that has been offered thus far in this thread. There isn't a lot on Head-Fi about Naim's products, and I'll be reading through the Naim forums as well.

Jun 3, 2014 at 11:51 AM Post #191 of 193
From the various reviews and impressions, it would seem the V1's headamp pairs better with high impedance headphones. So, unless your low impedance cans are relatively more sensitive, then it would seem the amp will not love low impedance cans.

Jun 4, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #192 of 193
  From the various reviews and impressions, it would seem the V1's headamp pairs better with high impedance headphones. So, unless your low impedance cans are relatively more sensitive, then it would seem the amp will not love low impedance cans.

I'll need to do some further research on this site concerning matching impedance of headphones with output of amps. I am confused about this.

I have seen a lot of mention about high impedance cans needing 'stronger' amps to drive them well (HE-6's in particular). Common Sense (which doesn't seem to be the final word) would state that if a set of headphones have low impedance, then they can be driven by most amps. I'll need to find a thread that explains this principle.

Here is the specs on the Fostex TH900's.

Specifications

Type:    Dynamic
Driver:    50mm dia Nd magnet
Impedance:    25 ohm
Sensitivity:    100dB / mW
Maximum Input:    1,800 mW
Reproduction Frequency:    5 – 45k Hz

Feb 3, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #193 of 193
My question is directed to those who opened up their/a Naim DAC-V1 to repair, change, upgrade, alter, refresh, modify, update any parts or components.
If you did not do either, please ignore this post. If you did:

1. Which parts or component(s) did you change/replace/upgrade?
2. What did you discover in the sound character in your opinion?

Please don't say "Why would you / Its already perfect!" But if you must: I auditioned it with a Utopia, loved it (except found the lows unconvincing below 100 Hz).
I don't want to use software and fiddle with eq's. I want just the hardware to be natively ready to go, regardless of the system that it's connected to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back