NEW Monolith M570 Over Ear Open Back Planar Headphone
Aug 28, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #121 of 246
The consensus does seem to be that these are the next best value stepping down from the Sundara, but it seems it's best done via the Takstar implementation with Sendy pads.

So a T50RP/HE-4XX killer, more than anything else.

Down the road, my next cheapie tryout might be a T60RP, if I can find a good deal. Hard to resist those hidden steals, or at least you hope they are. :ksc75smile:

Aug 29, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #123 of 246
I mean if you're looking for something like that, a T50RP or T60RP Argon mod might be the ticket.

Otherwise, just look to improve the bass response of the Sundara with pad rolling.

I am pretty happy with the Sundara as is.
The only EQ'ing I do are with my tube amp to add a bit of bass. I don't bother with pad rolling or modding, except on my Fostex TH-610's. With those I did a Lawton driver mod.
If I don't like a stock headphone, I just move on.

Aug 30, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #124 of 246
Just got a return authorization. They will be going back Monday. Today I was comparing them with the Sundara's and I just thought "What's the use?"

They were not horrible and they were not outstanding.

You didn't burn them in as suggested. Your loss.

Sundara cost 2x , maybe you should return them instead if they sound the same to you.

Aug 30, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #125 of 246
You didn't burn them in as suggested. Your loss.

Sundara cost 2x , maybe you should return them instead if they sound the same to you.

They are what they are. Enjoy your headphones.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #126 of 246
I find these are really dependent on the material. It's not even really genre, it will handle two tracks of the same genre differently. It also seems to struggle more with busier tracks as far as keeping composure. Sometimes the mids sound great, other times they seem lacking. The bass will have solid impact on one track and feel weak on another. The highs always sound great.

As far as other uses I was listening to a couple podcasts with these and the voices sounded great, no hollow sound like I was hearing when I first got them. I've also been playing Ghost of Tsushima with them and they sounded pretty good there too. Sword clangs and arrows flying by sound clear and visceral. The biggest drawback in gaming is the narrower soundstage from what I'm used to, and it could use a little more bass impact.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #127 of 246
I find these are really dependent on the material. It's not even really genre, it will handle two tracks of the same genre differently. It also seems to struggle more with busier tracks as far as keeping composure. Sometimes the mids sound great, other times they seem lacking. The bass will be have solid impact on one track and feel weak on another. The highs always sound great.

As far as other uses I was listening to a couple podcasts with these and the voices sounded great, no hollow sound like I was hearing when I first got them. I've also been playing Ghost of Tsushima with them and they sounded pretty good there too. Sword clangs and arrows flying by sound clear and visceral. The biggest drawback in gaming is the narrower soundstage from what I'm used to, and it could use a little more bass impact.
What are you comparing them to, soundstage-wise?

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:55 PM Post #128 of 246
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #130 of 246
Are recessed mids a factor there?

If you're asking if the X2 have recessed mids I would say no. If you're asking if the M570 has noticeably recessed mids while gaming I would say maybe a little but nothing that would impact the experience. Your mileage may vary.

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #131 of 246
Been listening to my pair for a few weeks now. These are great HP's at the sale price. Just got my Sendy pads. Plan to listen for a while then do the change so I can evaluate. They 100% have changed during burn in. I was never a believer on burn in, but I have now seen first hand two cans sound change before my ears. Everyone has different tastes and audio gear so opinions will always vary. So far these are the best deal sound wise next to the HD58X. The HD58X started this audio craze. I hate the clamp on those, but they sound great on most music. Unlike the 570's that are very revealing of a tracks quality. They can go from extremely impressive to just average from track to track. This seems to be a trait for all planar drivers I have owned. This include the Sundara, Aeon Flows, and Arya. Dynamic drivers seem to be more forgiving and have more sub bass. The bass kicks fast and decay is fast making sub bass less noticeable with a planar. I like both driver types and enjoy the differences.

Summary: For the cost on sale these are not going back. Yet to hear any planar this good for this low of a price. Never tried the HE-4XX. I am looking forward to trying the Avia pads.Until then these are the best $200 I have spent so far in this hobby.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #132 of 246
^ How do these compare to the Sundara for you? I was real impressed with these headphones from the start [ first set of Planars] but there were some flaws that seem to have gone away with usage. The difference in clarity between these and the 600 ohm dt 880s I had for a bit is huge. I assume most of what I like about them is probably inherent to all planar headphones [ so clear I can listen at quiet volume and it still seems big or with loud volume and not hurt my ears] like wise the few things I don't like are probably found in all planar magnetic headphones I assume?

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #133 of 246
My Sundara's had channel imbalance out of the box. I still liked the sound even with vocals towards my shoulder vs center stage. That had a great tonality. I think off memory they had better bass. I read about possible QC issues with Hifiman and rolled the dice. Instead of getting an exchange I chose to get a refund. Didn't want a set of cans I was waiting for them to have issues. Maybe I just got unlucky, but plenty of comments about drivers going out made me question their longevity. Sound is all personal taste, but I think I would give them an edge over the 570's. Maybe if they ever get their QC under control I will buy a pair again. I will say I am still happy with my 570 purchase. For their sale price they are hard to beat. After burn in they sound great to me and one could use them as their only headphone and be happy. I change up my headphone depending on mood. It also allows me to not get bored with a pair. If I don't listen for a while and then put on a pair I get to feel like they are new again.

Sep 9, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #134 of 246
These were one of the earlier cans in my journey, and I still occasionally go back to them. In spite of the complaints of ringing at certain frequencies, I've never had any issues, and find them quite enjoyable. Of all the new line of Monolith (I also had the M1070), I think the M570 is the highest quality build, I love the dark wood look, and they're just a nice overall listen. Do they compare with TOTL? No, but for the price I have no regrets.

Sep 12, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #135 of 246
These were one of the earlier cans in my journey, and I still occasionally go back to them. In spite of the complaints of ringing at certain frequencies, I've never had any issues, and find them quite enjoyable. Of all the new line of Monolith (I also had the M1070), I think the M570 is the highest quality build, I love the dark wood look, and they're just a nice overall listen. Do they compare with TOTL? No, but for the price I have no regrets.
100% agree. They hold their own and seem well built. Zero buyer remorse and even contemplated getting a second pair. I have not had any sound issues. Evidently there is ringing if you do a frequency sweep. Don't listen to sweeps just music and have no need to try and find an issue. Highly recommend them. Obviously all personal taste when it comes to sound signatures and what type of music you listen too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back