New model Cowon - Plenue D2
Dec 25, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #736 of 952
anyone else finding the PD2 terrible at keeping the time? after a few weeks of use the clock on mine is easily off by 15 or more minutes. there doesn't seem to be an option for turning off the clock display either. don't care for clock functionality on a DAP but if it's gonna insist on showing me the time... ^^;

It's been "updating" the database for 7 hours now. Not working.
any chance there are firmware update files or system files of another device on the card? i've had the PD2 trip over those a few times, getting stuck on the update screen as you describe. note that system files may be hidden.

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:38 AM Post #737 of 952
After formatting a brand new card several times, I'm pretty sure there aren't any files on there.

I'm currently, and very happily, using my FiiO X5 II, with that very card, and no issues whatsoever. Super fast boot, fast database update (manually done after adding the second card) and the exact same great sound over my headphones.

The only thing that will make me keep the Cowon trash, is the size and battery life, but they'll have to replace that piece of junk and update the damned software... Ridiculous, to pay so much for such a terrible piece of software.

Dec 25, 2019 at 10:07 AM Post #738 of 952
yeah, not gonna argue with that, the x5ii does just about everything better. i rate its SQ higher, too.

does the PD2 hang even with a blank card?

Dec 25, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #739 of 952
After formatting a brand new card several times, I'm pretty sure there aren't any files on there.

I'm currently, and very happily, using my FiiO X5 II, with that very card, and no issues whatsoever. Super fast boot, fast database update (manually done after adding the second card) and the exact same great sound over my headphones.

The only thing that will make me keep the Cowon trash, is the size and battery life, but they'll have to replace that piece of junk and update the damned software... Ridiculous, to pay so much for such a terrible piece of software.
Is it hanging up without a card in it? Can you load files onto the internal 64gb card and does it still get hung up for a long period of time? Is the firmware the most recent one?

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:39 PM Post #744 of 952
Can you load music from iTunes onto the D2 including Apple lossless? Thanks

There is a Mac App called "Dapper" that claims to be able to sync playlists from iTunes to the Cowon Plenue D (and since the D2 runs the same software I assume it'd run the same). You could make a playlist that is your entire library and it would copy that supposedly.

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #745 of 952
Can anyone hear confirm if there is any limit on playlists? Is there a limit to the number of playlists you can have or the number of songs that can be in a given playlist?

Thank you!
I’m not sure. I think there is a limit to playlists, like 10. I think I hit it, but I don’t have my player on me. I think there is a limit on songs on a playlist. I think it’s 1000. I went over a thousand on one playlist and it freaked out all my playlists. It could have been an arbitrary glitch that coincided with me adding too many songs, but I don’t know. I’ve got a few with 800 on there now.
Sorry if that wasn’t very helpful...

Dec 30, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #746 of 952
I’m not sure. I think there is a limit to playlists, like 10. I think I hit it, but I don’t have my player on me. I think there is a limit on songs on a playlist. I think it’s 1000. I went over a thousand on one playlist and it freaked out all my playlists. It could have been an arbitrary glitch that coincided with me adding too many songs, but I don’t know. I’ve got a few with 800 on there now.
Sorry if that wasn’t very helpful...
That was extremely helpful. Thank you!

Jan 2, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #748 of 952
ok, let me backtrack a bit and first ask what you mean when you say that "the single ended output seems wired balanced"? it seems like a contradictory statement. or are you just saying that it "sounds" balanced?

as for those 6db, balanced output is typically 6db louder. i'm not sure if that's necessarily true for all players, but it certainly holds for the PD2. if you compare output volumes from the 3.5mm output and the 2.5mm output at the same numerical volume setting, you'll find that the 2.5mm output is notably louder. that difference persists even if i connect to the 3.5mm output with a balanced cable. this to me strongly suggests that the 3.5mm output is a regular single-ended (non-balanced) output. if you think otherwise then i'm curious to learn why.

@counterclockwise,

To answer to your questions, I stated 'the single ended output seems wired balanced' as ALL 3.5 mm Balanced I plug into the PD2 work with no issues whatsoever & since I'm not about to open my unit up to check, this is more than likely the case, hence the word 'seems'.
As more often than not, as standard, nearly all other 3.5 mm connections do not work with 3.5 mm Balanced as most aren't wired for it.

I have used a lot of DAPs & head amps with balanced outputs & more often than not, especially on head amps, I notice a decrease in volume rather than increase on balanced connections & on any balanced DAPs, the sound levels are either the same or if they have independant volume control, either different or the same, depending on what was set before.

Honestly, I find no difference in sound level or volume output from either the 3.5 mm or 2.5 mm & have tested this many times with different head gear so not sure why you think there is a difference in volume or level.
I also listen at lower volumes (Average 40 dB on PD 2 / Average 20 dB on PD) than most people so I am curious how many dB you usually listen at.
So short of using a dedicated dB meter, I stick to whatever sound level I am comfortable with.
As a final note, I am not a fan for 2.5 mm sockets or plugs.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:22 AM Post #749 of 952
Interesting device but why is the SD-card storage so limited?
Internal flash is not necessary, I want to use a 1TB microSD card because swapping them is awkward.
Which player can this if the Plenue D2 won't do this? (please do not mention Sony as they are clumsy in their support and design of the NW-A* players)

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #750 of 952
Interesting device but why is the SD-card storage so limited?
Internal flash is not necessary, I want to use a 1TB microSD card because swapping them is awkward.
Which player can this if the Plenue D2 won't do this? (please do not mention Sony as they are clumsy in their support and design of the NW-A* players)
I agree with you fully. Great player but need more storage. I went for a Fiio M11. 2 card slots and great sound. Don't get the M11 pro since it only has one slot.
-Mat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back