New Miles Davis Trumpet (not Tribute) earphones
Nov 7, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #301 of 538

Quote:
Indeed, the reviews are all over the board and most likely due to the unusual fit and tip selection.  Once properly fitted, they are quite good.

Once properly fitted (using Sensaphonics Seal test; rechecked seal 3 times), the bass is still too boomy (and muddy at times), the mids missing details and clarity is there when you can hear the mids (they easily get covered up by the highs and lows), and highs remain edgy. 

I know fit makes a huge difference, but what are the chances that Tyll (from innerfidelity), and ClieOS (I think it was either him or |Joker|) both got bad fits? 

Nov 7, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #302 of 538
Matter of personal opinion - there are glowing reviews out there as well (for example, see Steve Guttenberg's review http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20085869-47/bowers-wilkins-c5-earbud-is-a-winner/).  Ultimately it's the user's call.  I find no SQ deficiency.  The loop system though is yet to be tested over a longer period...  So, after all day of listening to the C5 - the loop system is a bit of a pain, literally...  Thus, the Trumpets are definitely more comfortable although definitely a "desk" IEM due to its looks, hefty mic/buttons, etc.

Nov 8, 2011 at 9:29 AM Post #303 of 538
I picked these up at a Best Buy last Friday after trying them at an airport on Thursday.  Wow.  I'm not an audiophile - although do love to read the detailed commentary on this site - but have been really impressed with these.  Really comfortable and love the sound stage.

A nice touch with these (besides the great packaging) is the CD that comes with it.  I'm enjoying "Sketches of Spain" quite a bit (and more than I expected).

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #304 of 538
Matter of personal opinion - there are glowing reviews out there as well (for example, see Steve Guttenberg's review http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20085869-47/bowers-wilkins-c5-earbud-is-a-winner/).  Ultimately it's the user's call.  I find no SQ deficiency.  The loop system though is yet to be tested over a longer period...  So, after all day of listening to the C5 - the loop system is a bit of a pain, literally...  Thus, the Trumpets are definitely more comfortable although definitely a "desk" IEM due to its looks, hefty mic/buttons, etc.

Cnet's reviews are generally not taken very seriously here for good reasons. User preference is a great factor, but when rating the IEM in  pure performance it seems to do poorly. One of the worst benchmark performances I've seen at this price.

Nov 8, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #306 of 538
Meh,for that kind of signature the Beyer DTX 101 has better buid with a much lower price. Mainstream brands generally are poor when it comes to price to performance this includes BOSE, Monster, Klipsch (newer models), B&W, etc. 

Nov 8, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #308 of 538
They're better, but I'll rate B&W in the same vein as Klipsch in headphones/in-ears. No point in the matter though. Benchmarks aren't biased nor do they fall into placebo or emotions. These don't do so great....I can easily hear them, but honestly won't bother. I've heard the P5s, they're okay overpriced though. 

Nov 9, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #309 of 538
I don't think so, but regardless, if you haven't heard them then you don't know their SQ.  I listened to them with a variety of music and they do sound very good and right up there with the best universals.  SQ wise they do not give up anything to the Monster but are very sensitive to tip selection.  The comfort and size are another story.

Nov 15, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #310 of 538
I also had issues finding the right tips for my ears, to me it seems my left ear is bigger than my right since I always get a perfect fit in my right, but not in my left (air pocket exposed). What I decided to do was to use the iBeats tips (standard size I believe) and they fit me perfectly.

With most of the "Supertips" that the Trumpets came with the bass was too overwhelming and warm, when I want the treble to be the biggest factor, which the iBeats one give me.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #312 of 538
Quote:
Maybe this is somewhere in this thread....but does anyone know if any of the Comply tips are compatible with Trumpets?

Refer to my post a from a while back
smile.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #313 of 538

Quote:
Maybe this is somewhere in this thread....but does anyone know if any of the Comply tips are compatible with Trumpets?

iBeats by Dr Dre comply tips should fit as the originals fit my Trumpets perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back