New Miles Davis Trumpet (not Tribute) earphones
Sep 8, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #181 of 538
Seems I'll be rejoicing with Miles Davis today. 
wink.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #182 of 538
Nice!! Make sure you burn them in quick so we can enjoy another review and drool all over the place :)

I own the Monster Coppers and don't know if i should sell these to finance the Trumpets. I really enjoy the MTPC's signature but they are too heavy for my ears. The trumpets seem much easier to wear....if they have comparable audio quality i will definitely pull the trigger!

Sep 8, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #183 of 538
Well, I have bad news.  After 2+ weeks running them the lower mid/upper bass veil and treble etch seems to be lifting.  These are starting to sound pretty darned good for a balanced, fun sounding phone.  Everything is starting to come together w/o sounding disjointed or unnatural.  The mids used to be almost as dry as the FX700 but no longer.  Not as rich and lush as the MD tributes but somewhere in the middle w/ the FX700.  I'll report back in a few days to make sure it's not a one day wonder.  Finally I can listen to them w/o wanting to take them out.  

If you have a bright source you may want to look elsewhere.  If the Sony EX series has perfect bass for you look elsewhere.  

Sep 8, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #184 of 538

Quote:
Bad news? Just being ironic, right? Because you may keep them.

Yes, Irony.  Not sure I'll keep them as they would get almost zero ear time between the ES5 and UERM.  I would at the right price as a collector to pair w/ the Tributes or for use w/ a smartphone.  If I was an iPhone user and needed a mic w/ controls and had no ToTL customs then they would be a real consideration.

Sep 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #185 of 538
Finally! I can share my own initial impressions of the Trumpets.

Build: Upon first impression, the earpieces are incredibly tiny! I certainly overlooked their size, the images really don't do it justice. As with most Monster in-ears, I'm concerned for quite a few reasons. For one, longevity. Anyone and everyone who has ever owned a Monster in-ear knows why longevity is a primary concern. There are always exceptions of course, some more/less fortunate than others. Needless to say, the wire, while sturdy, is literally pasta strand thin and questionably concerning. Then there's the driver itself, which is said to be placed within the nozzle, onto which the tip is placed. While this may have it's sonic advantages, what concerns me at this point in time is it's vulnerability to wear and tear, being that it's ever closer to ones ear, and the outside environment, when not in use.

Isolation: No complaints. I can't say it's the absolute best I've heard (the CK10 reserves that right), but it's certainly above average. Only during the quiter parts of the track can I hear myself, if I were to snap my fingers relatively close to my ears. Otherwise, for the most part, there's really no room for complaint. 

Fit/Comfort: Here's where the double edge sword comes into play. While comfort is top-notch, the fit is what concerns me. The included tips just don't work for me, period. Even the largest of the included tips fit rather loosely in my ears, leaving air pockets exposed. What's even more problematic, however, is the fact that the Trumpets bore size is LARGE, which in turn means that tip choices are quite limited. Even the HiFiMan bi-flanges required a relative amount of stretch before they can be appropriately fit onto the Trumpets, albeit they worked out best in my case. Unfortunately, even then, except for the included tips, the bore width of any other tips I had on hand just wasn't large enough to leave the entire Trumpets bore width exposed. If anything, at the very least, I'd have loved to see a new set of Monster tri-flanges with a larger bore, to accommodate the Trumpets bore width. Nevertheless, I'll resort to the bi-flanges for my listening, as the included tips just don't cut it.  

SQ: At first I thought I'd break down the sonic impressions into their individual frequencies, and describe treble, mids, and bass as separate entities. However, I really don't see any need to, because, simply put, the Trumpets are tonally well balanced. The treble is by no means sparkly/bright, and sibilance is next to nonexistent. The mids are a tad forward, very intimate, full, and rich. On specific tracks, the Trumpets engaging mids reminded me of the SM3's. In fact, if I had to, I'd say the two are more similar than not in that regard. I'd go as far as to say the Trumpets are ever so slightly mid-centric. Vocals are rendered just oh so beautifully! Even with tracks where the vocals felt recessed with most of my other universals, the Trumpets seem to bring them ever so close to the listener. Then there is the bass, which of course MONSTER is no stranger to. While the Trumpets don't stray from the infamous MONSTER series mid-bass, midrange bleed is null. Nor do the Trumpets boast the same monstrous impact of it's predecessors. Instead, it aims at neutrality, and I personally much rather pefer it that way. I can't say whether the Trumpets are as nautral as the Coppers, since I've parted from the latter long since. However, of the high-end Monster line-up, the Trumpets achieve an excellent sense of neutrality.

Presentation: As has been mentioned, the Turbines are next to neutral in my book. The mids do carry thcikness, and warmth, but, to these ears, the overall signature is somewhere in between warm and dead neutral. The soundstage is pleasantly wide, though not excessively so. The Trumpets render good use of both width and depth, and imaging is on par with the rest of the signature, though nowhere near UM3X good.

Conclusion: These are only my INITIAL impressions, and are subject to change. However, I can say in all honesty, I prefer the Trumpets over the Tributes, and over the entire Turbine Pro line-up for that matter. The brilliant vocals, the added benefit of the control talk (which I've yet to test), the great blend of bass that boasts both quantity/quality, and the rather neutral presentation are all winners in my book. I really can't stress the mids; they're just beautiful! Fans of the Tributes should most certainly pay the Trumpets a visit IMO. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #186 of 538
Interesting.  Sounds like the tips you are using are toning down the treble and bringing forward the mids.  Hifiman biflanges right?  The big double mushroom I presume.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #187 of 538
Indeed, I was thinking the same my friend. But what can I do? All the included tips just don't work well in my case.

Sep 8, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #188 of 538

Quote:
Indeed, I was thinking the same my friend. But what can I do? All the included tips just don't work well in my case.

Not sure.  You did find the tips under the hidden compartment right?  Not really hidden, but the where the warranty info is.  I'm looking at their biggest tip and it's quite massive.  It looks bigger than the Hifiman bi flange in circumference.  Disregard, the Hifiman is just a hair bigger.  Forgot how big the bottom flange was.

Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #190 of 538

Quote:
Congrats! I've had mine for about a week and I am thrilled. The only reason I haven't posted my final impressions is because I must admit I haven't been breaking them in as much as I should have so they're definitely NOT broken-in as of yet. Once I you can be assured I will.

Incidentally what is your main source, iPod or...???

The source's i use are my Iphone 4 and my Macbook Pro.
I bet that Grado does wonders for them..

Sep 8, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #191 of 538
What a shame! Only the control talk music playback functions work on my HTC G2, but not the microphone or most call functions. However, it works flawlessly on my sisters iPhone 4, to no surprise of course. At the very least, I wish the mic had worked with my HTC, because I sure as hell am not switching my beloved G2. That's a no no.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #192 of 538
Is the nozzle larger on the Trumpets?  The Sony Hybrid tips fit well on the Turbines.

Sep 9, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #193 of 538
Just tried them on the Trumpets. No go. The Trumpets bore is much too large.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back