New Miles Davis Trumpet (not Tribute) earphones
Aug 28, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #136 of 538
I still have the MTPC and I think that the trumpets are better. I have an Ipod 7g 160gb with only ALAC files and I have a fiio e7. In terms of bass- the trumpets have more quantity yet I'm not sure if they are more accurate than the coppers. the treble is much softer(in a good way)- much more detail. Mids are probably the same. However where the trumpets really shine is their instrument separation, placement and soundstage- in those areas they truly are better than the coppers- much wider and that makes the details come out more and makes the lsitening experiance so much better. the design of these, i feel are much nicer than the tributes- they have so much more detail and its a change to have such light earphones than the turbines. the packaging was beautiful as always, but I feel they went cheap and used the same "tributes' case and I originally thought they would come with that magnifying glass(that is no big deal). the tips are pretty good an improvement over the original "supertips". I use the foam ones- they are much more comfortable they are getting closer to the level of complys but not yet. I want complys i just want to make sure that the t-500 size fits. over all they are well worth the $280 i plunked down and i'm enjoying every second of it.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #137 of 538
Oh yeah!  Where's the magnifying glass!  That sucks.

Jury is still out for me.  They are a very different sound from the Turbine series and most dynamic drivers.  There is an inherent micro-driver sound to them.  A bit thin which lends itself to perceived detail which may be illusory wrt actual resolution and absolutely great sub bass.  I don't know what it is, perhaps the enclosure or how micro-drivers work but the sub bass in these is pretty darned nice and no enhanced mid bass or bleed.  I'm going to do quite a bit of listening between the Trumpets, Tributes and the CC51 for better understanding of where they fit in.  

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #138 of 538
you are right only a little bit does it sound a bit hollow, but when i listen to some heavy guitar like the band "red" it sorta "slows down" and brings out the detail of such heavy and fast guitar movement almost like a BA driver. This is what really impresses me- the MTPC isnt able to do it with such clarity. I even heard some songs where I didnt even know there is a second guitar playing in the background and it placed it so well in the soundstage.

Aug 28, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #139 of 538

Quote:
you are right only a little bit does it sound a bit hollow, but when i listen to some heavy guitar like the band "red" it sorta "slows down" and brings out the detail of such heavy and fast guitar movement almost like a BA driver. This is what really impresses me- the MTPC isnt able to do it with such clarity. I even heard some songs where I didnt even know there is a second guitar playing in the background and it placed it so well in the soundstage.

Yeah I was going to use a BA reference in that it has the qualities like a BA such as speed and separation but not quite to that extreme and the imaging isn't quite that excellent but approaches BA qualities in some areas.  It's an interesting signature and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it.  Plus I've only used one set of tips so far so that might change.  I do think too that the FR is not flat and might be enhanced for actual Trumpets and brass instruments.  I seem to hear that 'enhancement' affecting other instruments or sounds crossing into that spectrum.  I can't say more till I figure it out.  When you hear a trumpet or horn it really sounds like the star of the show.

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #140 of 538
Thanks man! So far so good. I am also alternating running them with amplification such as the FIIO E5 and Grado RA-1 battery and they're reacting well to it. They need loads more burn-in so I will keep you posted. Cheers!

Aug 31, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #141 of 538
Really excited to read a MTPC versus Monster Trumpets Review 

popcorn.gif

Sep 3, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #142 of 538
Just picked these up had them running for about 10 hours.
I am not a EIM buff.. I have a set Klipsch 4si to compare them too. Right now all i can say about them is they sound wonderful. Very clean and crisp. Still trying out different tips to get that perfect fit.

Sep 3, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #143 of 538

Quote:
Just picked these up had them running for about 10 hours.
I am not a EIM buff.. I have a set Klipsch 4si to compare them too. Right now all i can say about them is they sound wonderful. Very clean and crisp. Still trying out different tips to get that perfect fit.

Congrats! I've had mine for about a week and I am thrilled. The only reason I haven't posted my final impressions is because I must admit I haven't been breaking them in as much as I should have so they're definitely NOT broken-in as of yet. Once I you can be assured I will.

Incidentally what is your main source, iPod or...???

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #145 of 538

Quote:
Still awaiting an in-depth review of these... 
blink.gif

Yeah me too! LOL  No seriously I have not been very good at amassing the hours on my Trumpets well because they sound so good already and I wasn't worried (but I will the moment I feel I have gotten there) but also because there has been a major transformation with another EIM that I received at the same time that has me thrilled - mostly - because things did not begin well at all with them. In fact I thought they had been a waste of money (they are really affordable compared to the Miles Davis Trumpets) but a week later and WHAM! Total transformation and they are continuing to improve! So I have been busy experiencing this transformation which took my ears away from the already promising MD Trumpet.

So folks this is further prove that gains are to be enjoyed if one is patient and disciplined when applying burn-in time. I admit not all products benefit to the same extend to this process, but with most, it's irrefutable.

So at least for my more in-depth review of the Trumpet I hope you can bear with me. I will need more time. Hopefully others on this thread are more prepared than I to share their final thoughts.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #146 of 538
I'm still much too new to the audiophile world. I'd like to know, what is the likelihood of fake Miles Davis Trumpets being released right around the same time as the real ones?

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #147 of 538

Quote:
I'm still much too new to the audiophile world. I'd like to know, what is the likelihood of fake Miles Davis Trumpets being released right around the same time as the real ones?

I didn't know this was a prevalent problem in headphone world. Is it? Well to be sure you're not buying a fake I' would stick to a national electronics retail store chain or buy them direct from Monster Cable itself if you're that worried about it. FYI I bought my set at my local Best Buy store and paid $299 which is $50 cheaper than full retail so I was a happy camper. But why do you ask? Are you considering a set for yourself or you asking in general terms? Or have you heard this is a specific problem with Monster Cable products? I think I've heard about fake Monster Turbines now that you're juggling my memory.

Sep 5, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #148 of 538
Unfortunately, there are a tremendously large number of fake Monster earphones out there, and the reason I'm asking is merely out of curiosity.

Sep 6, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #149 of 538
Ok some more pics by request! Enjoy!

Sep 6, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #150 of 538
By the way the Grado RA-1 is driving them *beautifully* and sometime this week (tomorrow?) I shall be driving them off a portable iBasso D-Zero I ordered last week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back