New Miles Davis Trumpet (not Tribute) earphones
Aug 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #421 of 538
Finally heard them today, have to say I'm quite disappointed. Whilst the mids had great presence and detail, the bass and sub bass seemed very recessed. Highs were shrill and overly harsh....I'm kind of shocked...seemed the balance overall was really poor. Not so neutral and reference as it claims to be. I doubt miles would like them....

Aug 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #422 of 538
Well you are being rather vague about it don't you think? Things I would like to know are:

1. What kind of a sample did you hear and where; Did you try a store sample, bought your own, or borrow a friend's set?

2. Did you try it with your own music and/or your own player?

3. How familiar were you with the music?

4. Did you try it with the tips that best fit your ear canals?

And last but not least...

5. How certain are you that the unit was fully broken-in with a minimum of 150+ hours play time?

You see if this was a quickie 5 minute listen with a unit that was new out of the box, with the wrong tips, and with a source
player and/or music that was completely unfamiliar to you, can see why your opinion as valid as it may be to you, will carry
far less weight to those of us reading it?

I don't mean to sound condescending. That's not the intent trust me. I happen to disagree with your assessment of these
fine IEMs but if you're gonna disagree with me, I would prefer to see some substance accompany your opinion.

Best,

Oz

Aug 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #423 of 538
Quote:
Finally heard them today, have to say I'm quite disappointed. Whilst the mids had great presence and detail, the bass and sub bass seemed very recessed. Highs were shrill and overly harsh....I'm kind of shocked...seemed the balance overall was really poor. Not so neutral and reference as it claims to be. I doubt miles would like them....

i could be wrong here but to me, it would seem like a classic case of loose fit. granted, i do find the highs (slightly) harsh/grainy but only compared to top cans but they were driven directly offa DAPs as well. if anything, they dont lack in bass unless one is comparing to something like IE8, then yes they are definitely not as bassy. otherwise, they are great bass response with quality.

then again, we all hear differently so i hope u can return them.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #424 of 538
Well, I compared the ie800 and the trumpets in a store. I,m not going to buy any headphones until I've tried them. I had my own CDs - Brothers in Arms, The Koln Concert and Porgy and Bess. I've listened to these albums for over 25 years. I had the right eartips put on which in my case is large. I had a good seal....and I listened back and forth between each iem for about 80m. I had every intention of buying the trumpets because the reviews are good and I'm a miles fanatic and have been for decades.

The shop owner assured me all test headphones are burned in over 100h but I have no way to be sure about that. All cans were connected to a head amp...audio technica...not sure what model....didn't see the source CD player. I intentionally chose the warm ie800 to compare them to the more neutral signature of the trumpets...as I had read they were in the reviews....I have shure se535s which are quite warm sounding, and I'm wanting a more neutral, reference sounding iem for other types of music....

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #425 of 538
Quote:

i could be wrong here but to me, it would seem like a classic case of loose fit. granted, i do find the highs (slightly) harsh/grainy but only compared to top cans but they were driven directly offa DAPs as well. if anything, they dont lack in bass unless one is comparing to something like IE8, then yes they are definitely not as bassy. otherwise, they are great bass response with quality.

then again, we all hear differently so i hope u can return them.

If Syan25 just "finally heard them today" don't you think it's a little premature to recommend he go return them after what seems like a cursory listen? I don't know guys (and gals) but I am not one to make a final decision upon a single session. So much could change after ample break-in and of course exhaustive ear-tip experimentation. We still don't know what source material was used. These EIM are detailed and won't dress up the fact you may be in fact listening to a rough recording. So beware to point the finger the wrong way. A little patience is necessary with these and they will come around.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #426 of 538
I hope to be wrong about the trumpets, because I had been looking forward to hearing them for awhile.

Aug 6, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #427 of 538
So these are yours then? You don't really specify whether you've just bought a pair or not. But if yours to keep just put in the time (at least 100 hours at moderate volume) and try different ear tips. I think you will be impressed.

Aug 6, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #428 of 538
@vinylrules...fwiw i absolutely agree with your view on quickie impressions at either stores or meets can be highly erroneous which is why i only make my conclusions upon a reasonable listening period & even then, i make sure i listen in the later evenings when i find my ears are more "attuned" to critical listening.

does the trumpets have its faults? YES definitely. i find the bass isnt as extend or defined, missing ultimate resolution & YES they can be grainy as well....buts thats just off a DAP, no external amps, no replacement cable & using only mp3 even as low as 256kbps. 

that said, even after a long listening session with the HD800/T1 driven by a dedicated amp + a decent DAC + a more than decent USB-SPDIF converter, i can easily get into listening with the trumpets when i need the easy portability & not lament the loss of musicality. thin bass is certainly not something what my ears are telling me.

however everyone listens different. whats bassy for one can be totally the opposite for another. @Syan25....i hope u dont feel u have to defend your views & experiences for i totally respect & accept what u hear. im just intrigued as all to how someone else can hear the exact opposite of my personal experience with the trumpets. 

thats why we have discussion to see if theres something we all can gain from this hobby.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #430 of 538
Quote:
@Syan25....i hope u dont feel u have to defend your views & experiences for i totally respect & accept what u hear. im just intrigued as all to how someone else can hear the exact opposite of my personal experience with the trumpets. 

thats why we have discussion to see if theres something we all can gain from this hobby.

Absolutely. And I hope I wasn't taken the wrong way. Syan25 is certainly entitled to his opinion is just that I thought he was coming down too hard upon only having listened to the set briefly or so it seemed. If he would have clearly prefaced his comments as "his first impression" then I would have not commented at all. He just seemed so dissapointed and ready to throw in the towel I decided to jump in and let him know they get much better.

But hey look, after ample break-in I am cool is he still finds them a problem. Like you said scottiebabie, we all listen differently and have our own ideas of what constitutes great sound.

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #431 of 538
Good for you. Personally I think they will get much better. To speed up the process just assign a source (CD-player, iPod) and let the music rip at moderate levels non-stop for like three of four days straight and watch what happens. Stuff a pillow on them though to not annoy your friends, neighbors and pets! LOL

Aug 7, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #432 of 538
Considering getting these, are the Amazon price of 159$ worth it?

Aug 7, 2013 at 5:48 PM Post #433 of 538
I think so. Absolutely. I think they are very distinctive and probably not going to be around forever so you might as well get one now before they become collectibles.

Aug 11, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #435 of 538
They parts are metal. As far as a direct sound comparison between the HiFiMAN RE-400 and the Monster Miles Davis Trumpets, that's a great question and I can be of help with as I own both. I will listen to both tonight and let you know in the morning.

However since yesterday I have been listening to the NEW $399 HiFiMAN RE-600 SONGBIRD!!!! 
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back