New member seeking advice on headphones
Oct 16, 2010 at 6:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DreaM

New Head-Fier
Okay well I have $400 to spend on headphones. It will be used for mostly metal, recording sessions and some gaming on the side. I know Grados are great for metal and rock but I honestly find them very uncomfortable. I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card in my computer and a home receiver if I must use one. Please let me hear some suggestions. Thank you for your time 
beyersmile.png

Oct 16, 2010 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 7
For recording sessions? Are you a musician? If you are going to use your headphones for tracking, then Gardos may not be too appropriate as they are mostly open type headphones. You need closed type headphones with little sound leakage for recording.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Well I already have a pair of ATH-M50s so I guess I could just use it for recording then. I still need a good pair to listen to my music though

Quote:
For recording sessions? Are you a musician? If you are going to use your headphones for tracking, then Gardos may not be too appropriate as they are mostly open type headphones. You need closed type headphones with little sound leakage for recording.

Quote:
Beyer DT250 80 ohm. Very neutral, excellent sound, min amping required. 

You sure I can't get better for $400? I'm also open to amp+headphone suggestions in the price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
You sure I can't get better for $400? I'm also open to amp+headphone suggestions in the price range
smily_headphones1.gif

Why spend $400 when a good phone can do it for half that?

IMO there's no anything I know of that as good as the DT250 for $400 anyway. Its underrated and underpriced - at least in the US. Costs $360 here in Aus, so over here, I can say there definitely nothing better for the extra $40. And I've heard most of them at Headphonic.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #6 of 7

Quote:
Why spend $400 when a good phone can do it for half that?

IMO there's no anything I know of that as good as the DT250 for $400 anyway. Its underrated and underpriced - at least in the US. Costs $360 here in Aus, so over here, I can say there definitely nothing better for the extra $40. And I've heard most of them at Headphonic.

I agree. The DT250-80 would suit your needs very well. Its not recommended nearly enough here for some reason.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #7 of 7
Thank you very much for all the help. I'll leave the thread open for a few more days before I jump on the DT-250. Btw is the DT-880 better than the DT-250? Because I'm able to get it kind of cheap from a friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back