New member needs CD player suggestions
Nov 16, 2009 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

glawton

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone
I've just begun my search for better audio gear and decided to start with a new CD player. I have a fairly large collection of cds - mostly garden variety but a few SACDs. I'd like to start off by picking up a player but I can't afford more than around 800.00 right now. I'd like suggestions about what I should be thinking about and what models I might consider.
I've been collecting vinyl and cds for 40+ years but have never owned gear that was much more than adequate. So what I see around here is pretty intimidating. I'm a novice and have no idea of what to make of what I see as I cruise around here. So give it to me slow and easy.
And thanks!
Geoff

Nov 16, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 14
It's a little beyond your budget, but I've heard some pretty nice things about Sony's newest CD player, the SCD-XA5400ES. The MSRP is $1500, but you can get a new unit for a few hundred less if you look around. I haven't actually heard it, mind you, but the reviews I've seen have been very positive.

Nov 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #4 of 14
Highly recommended. Do a Google search on it for reviews. Replaced by the SA8003, but the 8001 is better. You might find a new or refurbished one left over, otherwise one comes up every now and then at Audiogon for about $600.

Nov 16, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #8 of 14
The Denon DCD-1500AE is a great CD player that also does SACD. The Rega Apollo is good, although the build quality is rather lackluster.

Nov 16, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Highly recommended. Do a Google search on it for reviews. Replaced by the SA8003, but the 8001 is better. You might find a new or refurbished one left over, otherwise one comes up every now and then at Audiogon for about $600.

I agree. The 8001 is a great player for the price. A nice bonus is the quality of the built in amp/headphone out.

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 14
Nov 19, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #12 of 14
I would recommend a good used DAC. Any halfway decent cd player will serve as a transport if the DAc is itself good. My impression is that digital DAC technology continues to advance and going the DAC route alows you to upgrade every few years without breaking the bank.

I persoanlly have been happy with Musical Fidelity and am using their XDAC V3 withan outboard power supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back