New member, and want to share a deal
Aug 27, 2010 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pm0unt

New Head-Fier
First, let me say that I've been cruising this forum for a few days now searching for info on a good set of headphones, and I've been really impressed with the quality of review and discussion here. 

I'm new to the headphone world, and not really an audiophile per se, though I'm not new to quality stereo equipment.  Unfortunately, my beloved Klipsch Cornwalls are at home in upstate NY, and I'm languishing in Afghanistan and in desperate need of a quality listening experience.  To temporarily slake my thirst I picked up a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 IIs at the Norwegian PX recently, and am fairly impressed with their sound, though they're a bit bass heavy for much of my listening.  That's OK, though, because they make working out a real pleasure when I'm rocking some Metallica or Zeppelin in the gym.

So, I started my search because a buddy picked up a pair of AKG 702s, and though they're not close to broken in, I was impressed by their openness, something I didn't even know headphones could do.  Unfortunately, they're expensive, especially when you buy an amp to go with them.  And they are also very loud - for other people.  We live in some close quarters over here, so that just wasn't going to do.  I decided to see what I could find though, and came across goodcans.com, where I learned about Ultrasones, and became intrigued by the idea of a closed can design with an open sound and wide soundstage.  Well, let's just hope they live up to the hype, because I pulled the trigger on a pair of PROline 750s on eBay for $169, brand new.  I was thinking pretty seriously about the HFi 780, but when I saw the 750s I just couldn't resist.  With luck I won't need an amp to push them, though I know they'll sound better if I do invest in one.  We'll see, maybe next month.

At any rate, there are three more 750s available in the auction (Buy It Now) and I figured someone on head-fi might just be thinking of trying a pair and a great price is the only excuse they need, so if you want em, go get em, cause I don't think they'll last long. 

Here's the link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ultrasone-PRO-750-Closed-Back-Headphones-PRO750-NEW-/330465732279?pt=DJ_Gear_Lighting&hash=item4cf14ae6b7

Happy listening.

Aug 28, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 14
I guess I don't know how to respond to that.  Although, I will say that for as many forums as I'm a member of, this is the first time I've ever joined one and failed to get a 'welcome to the club, watch out for the flamers' post.  Or is that what yours was?  Have I misjudged this community? 

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 14
Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

That's not a bad price at all for the 750s. Thanks for sharing. I ended up paying a bit more when I sprung for a pair. Just a little warning the Ultrasone sound signature is rather polarizing. There are some people that really enjoy it and some who absolutely hate it. Let us know what you think of them when you get them.

Aug 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
I guess I don't know how to respond to that.  Although, I will say that for as many forums as I'm a member of, this is the first time I've ever joined one and failed to get a 'welcome to the club, watch out for the flamers' post.  Or is that what yours was?  Have I misjudged this community? 

Sorry about that, my sarcasm wents over the board sometimes. Glad to have you, enjoy your stay here.

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #8 of 14
It's a good price.

They really do need an amp, though, so be prepared for a disappointing experience without one.  I'm not trying to be discouraging, but you should be prepared for reality.

Also, if you find that they are much too harsh and cold, the Kees mod really is easy, and it really does work.  I could hardly listen to my 750s when they were stock, but they get a TON of head time now that their properly modded.  I hope you enjoy them, and welcome to Head-Fi.

Aug 29, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #9 of 14
Just for that, your headphones will be OK but not what they can sound like until you have the amp. Then your source will need upgrading, and what about your cables?

Now, welcome to our forums and I don't care about your wallet. Nobody cared for mine, they coaxed me to trick out my portable rig, buy a tube amp, RS-1 & K701, try several digital players, roll tubes compulsively, made me realize all my labor to rip my cds to 128k was time wasted, has me lusting for one ortho to replace the K701 and dare I dream of a quality stat rig.

And you want a welcome? Jump in, the water is ffffffine.

Welcome aboard.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 14

Happy Camper may not be as happy as his name indicates :p

Quote:
Just for that, your headphones will be OK but not what they can sound like until you have the amp. Then your source will need upgrading, and what about your cables?

Now, welcome to our forums and I don't care about your wallet. Nobody cared for mine, they coaxed me to trick out my portable rig, buy a tube amp, RS-1 & K701, try several digital players, roll tubes compulsively, made me realize all my labor to rip my cds to 128k was time wasted, has me lusting for one ortho to replace the K701 and dare I dream of a quality stat rig.

And you want a welcome? Jump in, the water is ffffffine.

Welcome aboard.

Aug 29, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Well, thanks for the truly proper welcome Happy Camper :wink:  The wallet will suffer, for sure, but I'm in Afghanistan, so screw it. 

Joel, I read about the Kees mod, and I'm already scrounging for materials just in case.  We'll see what happens when they get here and I burn them in a bit.

I've been looking at the cmoy amps by biosciencegeek, and they would fit right in my budget (just don't tell my wife hehe.)  Is that amp suitable?  Remember, I'm not after the supreme critical listening experience, I just want to be able to enjoy my music.  I've lived with a Harman Kardon integrated receiver for my Klipsch for years with no complaints, though I've been known to speak fondly of the Mac 4100 that used to push them, so I'm not that hard to please.  If the BSG amp will work I'll go ahead and order it now, no waiting.  Otherwise, are there any suggestions for an amp to match for around $150 or less? 

***edit***  So there's only one BSG amp left, and I guess the auctions are intermittent?  Should I pull the trigger or what?  Jeez, this place is getting to me already lol

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
Well, thanks for the truly proper welcome Happy Camper :wink:  The wallet will suffer, for sure, but I'm in Afghanistan, so screw it. 

Joel, I read about the Kees mod, and I'm already scrounging for materials just in case.  We'll see what happens when they get here and I burn them in a bit.

I've been looking at the cmoy amps by biosciencegeek, and they would fit right in my budget (just don't tell my wife hehe.)  Is that amp suitable?  Remember, I'm not after the supreme critical listening experience, I just want to be able to enjoy my music.  I've lived with a Harman Kardon integrated receiver for my Klipsch for years with no complaints, though I've been known to speak fondly of the Mac 4100 that used to push them, so I'm not that hard to please.  If the BSG amp will work I'll go ahead and order it now, no waiting.  Otherwise, are there any suggestions for an amp to match for around $150 or less? 

***edit***  So there's only one BSG amp left, and I guess the auctions are intermittent?  Should I pull the trigger or what?  Jeez, this place is getting to me already lol

They aren't HARD to amp, it's just that they demand more juice than a portable player can dish out.  Mine sound pretty good out of my Hotaudio DAC, which is more than I can say for most of my headphones. 

If you do decide to do the Kees mod, the secret seems to be using a VERY thin layer in there--probably thinner than you expect.  The furniture pads are easy.  In mine, I used a super-thin gauzelike layer, and that did enough.  Before that I had a slightly thicker layer, and it really killed the sound.  I don't know if anyone here actually wants to know where I got the thin layer, but I used the inside cover of an unused disposable nursing pad.  Anything as thin as gauze, etc. should be enough to kill a bit of that energy but not get in the way of the air.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:17 PM Post #13 of 14
Joel, thanks again.  I probably can't find a nursing pad here, but something will turn up if it's necessary.  I'll also note that the brightness of my buddy's 702s didn't bother me, and they were right out of the box.  I might have a little hearing damage from too much time on the range :wink:

Also, I plan on using the Ultrasones hooked into my PC, which supplies a lot more power than than my iPhone, and that I'm not looking for cans to blow my head off.  The Senns can do that when I feel like hehe.

I guess I'll probably just delay the amp purchase until I feel like it's necessary, unless I can expect a significant increase in quality with an inexpensive amp.

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Yeah, set up an audio acct. that can help fund you. If you are going to be tight on funds but want mid-fi, always go used and pass it by us fargin iceholes if ya really gotta..... Take a watch or two for the single guys with spare cash. Better yet, get someone else interested in the hobby that has extra cash. That way you get seconds.

Be safe and may your footpaths keep you out of harms' way. Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back