New MacBook Air!!!!
Oct 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #31 of 65

Quote:
most comments I've read so far indicate they have solved the overheating problem from the previous air. most comment that it gets warm but not overly so as older macbook pros..and that the fan is quite silent. 

The fans do spin up to around 4000rpm (and are noticable) if temps get to 70C or above.I think the fans spin up less on the 11" version as the processor only uses 10w as opposed to 17w for the 13" versions

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #32 of 65
Just got back from the Apple store...no MBA in hand, but WOW! The game seems to be changing guys. I played on a 13" 1.83ghz, 2gig RAM machine and it took pretty much everything I threw at it....HD video playback, photo/video editing, whatever. It's almost obnoxiously gorgeous, certainly more svelte than a MBP, which I used to think looked light and skinny. No comparison. If you need/want the weight savings, here's your computer. The 13" screen is fabulous. The 11" literally looks too close in size to my iPad, so I'd prefer the 13" for my usage. Basically the way it performed, I'm having trouble seeing the point of speccing the processor to 2.13 or even RAM to 4 gigs. Got some thinking to do about that though...

Whoever asked about lightroom/aperture, I have no idea...however the screen was very nice for viewing photos. Light editing seems to be no problem, although it won't replace your desktop for serious work (if for screen size alone).

@Erik, this would seem a perfect upgrade to your MacBook. It's very fast indeed!

Lastly, this is the future of notebooks!
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #33 of 65
Oh, the 13" is wonderful. I had the same impression you did. I might get one, but am thinking of holding off until they drop the i3 into the MBA. That's one of my small rules - I like a serious CPU upgrade when I buy a new machine. Last time, I went from a G4 to a Core2Duo. I'll wait until I can get the new family in the MBA.

Oct 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #34 of 65

Quote:
The fans do spin up to around 4000rpm (and are noticable) if temps get to 70C or above.I think the fans spin up less on the 11" version as the processor only uses 10w as opposed to 17w for the 13" versions

Yeah. My macbook pro gets hot really easily when I stream stuff, or play games, so I downloaded SMC Fan Control so I can always keep an eye on the temperatures and change the fan speeds. My fan wont spin up to 4000 rpm until it gets past 80*C, but I manually change it to around 4,000 when it gets past 70*C. I usually try to keep my laptop operating below 60*C.

Nov 1, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #35 of 65
thanks for the update chimera-se.
yeah all the feedback i am getting are encouraging with the new MBA. I've seen some video game plays on you tube where I just did not expect MBA to pull it off to be honest..
though right now I am leaning towards another macbook pro (15" i7), as I think the CPU and GPU upgrade makes it a safer bet for the long term. plus I'm used to the anti glare 15" screen, which 13" screens do not have an option. for, 
but then again, the size and weight (let alone the looks) of the MBA is so damn attractive...just cant hit the 'buy' tab on apple site...
angry_face.gif

will sleep on it a few more days and then order..

@uncle eric
I think you might be waiting a while for a new MBA version. 
though rumor has it that MBP are likely to have the new intel chip 'Sandy Bridge' coming around Q1 in 2011. probably only in 15" & 17" MBP..might also see the 13"MBP's go the way side, replaced by the MBA's..

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #36 of 65
Yes, LevA, I'm in a similar situation as I need a laptop replacement. The MBP is a real possibility for me too. Like all things I have to mull it over for a few days....if I still feel this way next week, I'll probably buy one or the other. My advice: If you don't want a MBA, do NOT go look at one in person! You'll probably end up walking out with one! They are impressive.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #37 of 65
LevA, I know a MBA update is a ways off, but I'm not too desperate for a new laptop. The MBA is more lust than necessity. The white MacBook is still perfectly capable and I've upgraded it to a 320GB drive. When a new proc goes into the MBA or maybe the 13" MBP, I'll upgrade. Besides, the iPad makes a sexy portable.

Also, I'm wondering if the white MacBooks are on the way out. It doesn't fit with their other products and the 11" MBA should be a lot more attractive at the same price.

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:34 PM Post #38 of 65
I'm not so sure the white MacBook is going anywhere. My reasoning is based on the fact that it's probably the best student computer you can buy; at least some colleges are still giving them out to incoming freshmen, I think.

Well, my patience is running thin! 3 local Apple stores are out of my chosen MBA
frown.gif
So, we'll see if they get some more in tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will work for what I need and I'm a bit of an Apple person to begin with, so I just can't get the form factor out of my mind! Shallow, I know, but it's just so pretty! I'll call again tomorrow with fingers crossed!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #39 of 65
Does anyone know anything about the Macbook Air's DAC or sound quality?  How does it compare to the MBP?  (how's the MBP, btw?)

Dec 28, 2010 at 5:28 AM Post #40 of 65
Maybe I can take a listen this weekend.  I just brought a 13" MBA back from my holiday visit to the states.  I bought it on the last day of my trip home.  Sort of impulse, but I like the way it fits into my life.  I have a 15" MBP that was only doing desktop duty at home.  So I have replaced that with a Mac Mini.  It's kinda crazy to have 3 Macs in the house right now, but I plan to sell the MBP soon.  I don't actually carry my wallet anymore.  I just leave it in Cupertino so the boys can simplify the process for me.

Dec 28, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #41 of 65

Quote:
Maybe I can take a listen this weekend.  I just brought a 13" MBA back from my holiday visit to the states.  I bought it on the last day of my trip home.  Sort of impulse, but I like the way it fits into my life.  I have a 15" MBP that was only doing desktop duty at home.  So I have replaced that with a Mac Mini.  It's kinda crazy to have 3 Macs in the house right now, but I plan to sell the MBP soon.  I don't actually carry my wallet anymore.  I just leave it in Cupertino so the boys can simplify the process for me.

Is it a 13" Air Ultimate?  What are your thoughts on the 13" Air vs the 15" MBP (assuming you have the latest 2010 model of the MBP?)  

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #42 of 65
Actually, I opted for the 128 GB with 2 GB or RAM.  There was really no need to spring for anything beyond stock.  I'll still do the bulk of my work on the desktop at home.  The MBP was from last year.  It wasn't the latest greatest version.

As far as comparisons go, it's hard to match them up.  But I can say that I have not been wanting for performance since I've started using the MacBook Air.  Keep in mind that I'm only really using it for simple cloud based stuff like email, web browsing and some writing.  But so far, I definitely do not miss lugging around my MBP.  Actually, the whole reason I got this machine was because too often, I found myself opting to leave the MBP home due to its weight.  I never have that concern with my MBA.  As a matter of fact, I carry it with me to work every day along with a D-SLR and have no problems with weight whatsoever.

Poor iPad, though.  It has been relegated to home duties.  The keyboard and tethering options of the MBA make it too useful and convenient.

Dec 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #43 of 65

Quote:
Quote:

Is it a 13" Air Ultimate?  What are your thoughts on the 13" Air vs the 15" MBP (assuming you have the latest 2010 model of the MBP?)  

I can chime in here i think as I had a 2008 MBP 17", my brother has a 15" 2010 MBP, and I now have a 13" Air thats upgraded. 

The 13" air is in my opinion every bit the power of the 2008 MBP 17" but boots faster (go flash!). 

It has significantly more battery life than the 17" ( I typically get 5-6 hours of head-fi without anything else going on; watching movies or itunes runs the battery down faster).

Obviously it is much more portable.

Vs. the few times I've used the 15" my brother has, I would say I don't find the Air lacking anything. The air is a bit more portable but I would not make a decision between them solely on that factor. 

His MBP has flash also so the boot time difference is actually not much. I could very honestly take either or and be a happy camper. 

If you have a big CD based library I would get the MBP 15"

If not then its more of a preference, as he does a lot more work (CAD/Rhino/Illustrator) on his laptop than I do, I think the MBP is a better choice for him. I would assume its a bit faster in those types of heavy programs though in my own experience of photoshop/illustrator the Air keeps up with most current computers just fine. (Bar I have a Mac Pro sitting on my desk that I am not sure what to throw at it to stress it)

If you are in my situation that you have a "work" computer on your desk at home and need something portable that is still plenty powerful for most things (short of fast protein folding/modeling) I would recommend the Air. 

If you are looking for a 1 comp deal then I would say the MBP may be a better choice for work and play. 

Hope this helps,
Dave

Dec 29, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #44 of 65

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the Macbook Air's DAC or sound quality?  How does it compare to the MBP?  (how's the MBP, btw?)

Haven't tried the MBA's hp out (as I don't have one) but I can vouch for the MBP DAC.  It's surprisingly good.  Listening casually to my music through yuin PK1's is pretty nice.  Certainly won't replace whatever your main system is, but it'll do in a pinch.  That's about the extent of my computer audio life, so I can't comment on hooking up a proper amp to it.

Quote:
Actually, I opted for the 128 GB with 2 GB or RAM.  There was really no need to spring for anything beyond stock.  I'll still do the bulk of my work on the desktop at home.  The MBP was from last year.  It wasn't the latest greatest version.

As far as comparisons go, it's hard to match them up.  But I can say that I have not been wanting for performance since I've started using the MacBook Air.  Keep in mind that I'm only really using it for simple cloud based stuff like email, web browsing and some writing.  But so far, I definitely do not miss lugging around my MBP.  Actually, the whole reason I got this machine was because too often, I found myself opting to leave the MBP home due to its weight.  I never have that concern with my MBA.  As a matter of fact, I carry it with me to work every day along with a D-SLR and have no problems with weight whatsoever.

Poor iPad, though.  It has been relegated to home duties.  The keyboard and tethering options of the MBA make it too useful and convenient.

Do you do any picture editing on your Air? I was curious if it can run Aperture or Lightroom...  I have a feeling if I bought a MBA, I would just get rid of my iPad; too much overlap.  Unless I just kept it for books and magazines.

Quote:
If you are in my situation that you have a "work" computer on your desk at home and need something portable that is still plenty powerful for most things (short of fast protein folding/modeling) I would recommend the Air. 

If you are looking for a 1 comp deal then I would say the MBP may be a better choice for work and play. 

x2.  If you need an all in one solution, the MBA might not be it.  At least it's not for me.

Dec 29, 2010 at 2:56 AM Post #45 of 65

I have the maxed-out MacBook Air 13".  Coming from a late-2008 17" MacBook Pro (the last of the non-unibody MBPs), I don't find the Air lacking at all.  That big MBP was upgraded to 6GB of RAM (that's the max that particular model can accept), and a 500GB 7200 rpm drive replaced the stock 320GB one.  So far, the little Air has proven snappier in pretty much all respects (for what I use them for).

I'm able to use Lightroom 3 and Photoshop CS4, with no loss of performance (versus the older, bigger MBP) that I can sense.  I find the Air actually plays video with fewer hiccups than the MBP (but the MBP does have more pixels to push, at 1920x1200).  And where the Air (with its flash storage) just crushes my big MBP is using DEVONthink Pro Office.  I keep my rather large DPO databases on the internal flash drive, and loading the databases and searching through them is far faster on the Air than the old MBP.

The 13" Air's screen is nice, bright, and has good contrast.  It doesn't have the vibrant colors of my wide-gamut large external display, and is much more sensitive to viewing angle changes than the MBP's screen.  Still, given how thin the display is, I can't believe how capable it is.

I don't miss the backlit keyboard (though you might), as I always turn my MBP's off anyway (in a dark room or office, I don't want anything other than the screen glowing).

The battery life is fantastic, given how capable the new Air is, and how compact it is.

The instant-on nature of the Air (coming out of sleep or suspend) is a game-changer for me.  The light weight and long battery life are also big game-changers for me.  If you travel a lot, the MacBook Air is pretty much a no-brainer.

My biggest gripe about it?  No built-in 3G/4G.  I'd have gladly paid $25/month for a 2GB/month plan (as with the iPad).  I do have a Verizon MiFi, but it'd be so much easier to just flip the Air open and be connected when I'm on the go.

Overall, the new Air is a stunning computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back