New MacBook Air!!!!
Jan 5, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #61 of 65
My brother got the 13" for Xmas. Application load times are impressive. PS CS5 pops up like greased lightening! It's the slow CPU doing actual processing that made me think twice. Otherwise, a very sweet machine. 

Jan 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #62 of 65

Quote:

I dont know about the MBA, but that is a reported downside of all SSDs. A better question might be whether Apple would deliberately release a product which is going to generate complaints from power users (OK, MBA power users ..) within 6 months. I suspect that your salesman friend just made himself a very nice commission.

I checked today and it is true, the Trim function for SSD hard drives on MBA is not supported under OSX.

When they fix this I will buy one. I doubt there are a lot of power users using the MBA  as their primary machine.

Regards

Macrog

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #63 of 65

Picked one up yesterday with a Magic Mouse. Too bad it has a stuck pixel around the middle. Sounds pretty good as a transport!

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #64 of 65

darklord1515 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Its just going to come down to what the end user needs. Personally I love my 15" MBP, and carry it to all my classes. I see a growing number of people getting the notebooks, one because of size and two because of cost. Obviously Apple isn't marketing to the low cost computer user. I would rather have a revised version of the ipad to surf the net in front of the tv. I do like the OP comment on hooking it up to a usb dac >amp>headphones. It would be a pretty sweet little system for the casual user. I cant believe they didn't add 3G to it, seems like a no brainer. I cant wait to check them out in the stores. I cant believe its .65" thick.

It's helpful to me, Thanks for your analysis!

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #65 of 65

Quote:
Quote:

I dont know about the MBA, but that is a reported downside of all SSDs. A better question might be whether Apple would deliberately release a product which is going to generate complaints from power users (OK, MBA power users ..) within 6 months. I suspect that your salesman friend just made himself a very nice commission.

I checked today and it is true, the Trim function for SSD hard drives on MBA is not supported under OSX.

When they fix this I will buy one. I doubt there are a lot of power users using the MBA  as their primary machine.

Regards

Macrog

The SSD that Apple chose for the MBA has support for garbage collection in its firmware. The fact that OSX does not support TRIM is therefore a non-issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back