New MacBook Air!!!!
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #16 of 65

Quote:
I know, I just don't get that.  Is it a space issue?  Or a no one really cares except us crazies issue?

No, there's a lot of people who care about that.  And if it is a space issue they could have used another mini jack for a coax output.  I'm a Mac guy as much as I am PC, because I use it for my work.  I would want the ability to use a laptop as a transport though, and it just seems a backwards step for them.  Maybe they figure people are using USB audio devices now anyway?

If they really wanted to please everyone they could put an optical or coax output on the iPod, but sadly I don't think that will ever happen.  It wouldn't cost them much to do if they could make the space for it, but then it would cut into their Apple TV sales which means it will never happen.  And we all know Jobsieboy doesn't care about pleasing his customers -- lack of Flash on iPad and iPod is evidence of that.

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #17 of 65
trying to find some reviews but no luck on hands on experience...
though seems like the critics are out in force, complaining about the  3 year old intel core duo 2 chip....tomorows design meets yesterdays technology.. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #18 of 65
Tempting
wink.gif

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #19 of 65
I wish they could squeeze a bit more battery life out of the MBAs. The standby numbers are great, but the actual use seems like it could be a lot better, but I guess space is a (the) limiting factor.

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #20 of 65
for the 13 inch it says up to 7 hrs..If I can get 5 hrs with normal use, count me happy..not getting anywhere near that with my old macbook pro atm..

Oct 22, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #21 of 65
Forgive me on this question as I'm a consumer geek but not a techno-geek. It it the CPU in the current Air laptops that keep it from attaining the iPad's battery life? I'm going to get an Air, but probably in the next month or so.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #22 of 65
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #23 of 65
anyone checked them out yet??
I'm still in between the new 13" 2.1Ghz 4RAM Air vs 15" Macbook pro i5/i7...

my main concern with the air is photo editing software speeds such as aperture. lightroom. though as long as its reasonably fast I am more than happy  to sacrifice some speed for portability of the air..

anyway, found a video on pro vs air comparison with Photoshop CS5..seems like the low spec. air is a well match against the pro. though I don't have any experience with the CS5 so not sure if its heavy on CPU as aperture and other programs. or if any of the tests on the video are really indicative of what you will most lilkely to use for photo editing. anyone familiar please give me tips how CS5 is against aperture..
heres the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtslwxL_Leg

Oct 26, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #24 of 65

I've been living with the iPad for a few months as my "take with me wherever..." setup and I've come to two conclusions: I love the light weight, and sometimes I really want a keyboard and trackpad. I think I'll go check out the MBA this weekend. I think the 13" screen will feel gigantic compared to the iPad, too.

Just get the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Weighs nothing and I take one everywhere with my iPad.

You won't miss the trackpad since you can use gestures. Gestures plus keyboard rocks - I find it very intuitive and I can type and navigate much faster than I can on a laptop.

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 65
Well benchmarks are beginning to appear. I thought this was useful:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2010/10/macbookair_benchmarks-late-2010/

I purchased Geekbench so I could run it on my MBP Intel Core Duo, 2.93 Ghz, 4GB RAM laptop. It has a 40GB SSD from OWC. Not much storage I know, but my friend with the same machine with a 250 GB 7200 RPM hard drive didn't score much less than my SSD'd MBP. My SSD MBP got a 4060 score as compared to the 2695 of the MBA 13" Air. I was liking the MBA 11", but it got a 2026 score seems like a lot of compromise even compared to the 13" MBA, especially since I have an iPad. Check out the iPad score. No wonder someone said the 11" MBA looks good if you treat it as a really fast iPad.

I'm am not knocking the Airs. I want one. I just have to figure out what I want to compromise on. Size vs. speed. Frankly for most of the stuff I do on the go the 11" seemed fast. It is all "win win" if you can figure out what you need. Apple has given us great choices!

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #26 of 65

Just get the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. Weighs nothing and I take one everywhere with my iPad.

You won't miss the trackpad since you can use gestures. Gestures plus keyboard rocks - I find it very intuitive and I can type and navigate much faster than I can on a laptop.

I'll consider that. Sometimes I commute by bike to work so I try to keep the weight down as much as possible...hence the iPad vs. a laptop. I can see how gestures can be good along with a keyboard though. I've actually touched a regular computer screen out of habit before! Hard to explain if people are around, haha.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #28 of 65
Didn't the first macbook air have overheating problems? I know when I stream a lot or do something more demanding of the computer, my 13" MBP gets really really hot. I wonder if the new macbook air will have those problems.

Oct 27, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #29 of 65

Quote:
Didn't the first macbook air have overheating problems? I know when I stream a lot or do something more demanding of the computer, my 13" MBP gets really really hot. I wonder if the new macbook air will have those problems.

most comments I've read so far indicate they have solved the overheating problem from the previous air. most comment that it gets warm but not overly so as older macbook pros..and that the fan is quite silent. 

Oct 27, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #30 of 65
I am in the process of trying to sell my 2008 15" MBP and will likely get a 13" Air to replace it. Considering I only use my laptop for surfing, music, typing and the occasional video watching the Air is perfect for what I need. Not to mention it is loads easier to tote around compared to my MBP.

The speed really doesn't bother me that much. The C2D is a capable processor and the nvidia graphics are just as fast if not faster than the ATI graphics in my current MBP. The SSD gives the thing a nice boost in snappiness and since I very rarely edit any photos on my laptop it is not a big concern to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back