New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Mar 23, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #616 of 1,112
Anyone running M8 on MAC 10.11 El Capitan? I currently have a Modi 2, but the volume control in MAC doesn't work with that(Can only mute and unmute). Will El Capitan's volume control work with M8?

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #617 of 1,112
@rootscript 

Another thing that popped up in my mind was that the major reason I'm thinking of the Gustard X12 or the NFB-1DAC is that they have balanced XLR outputs. Wheres the NFB-11 or the M8 only has RCA. Can you comment on the emi/interfernce susceptibility in the real world for a desktop system? (The signal wires will be about 4-6feet in length.) Also, are there better sheilded RCA cables available that can rival XLR? 
And finally any advantage of having XLR, besides the obvious that I connect to a Powered monitor/pro Amp.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:56 PM Post #618 of 1,112
Mar 23, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #619 of 1,112
see http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

Unbalanced cables work great for connecting a guitar to an amp, for instance, but because they are not very good at suppressing noise from outside interference, unbalanced cables should have a maximum length of 15-20 feet (4-6 meters), especially when used in noisy environments and with signals that are low level to begin with, such as those from keyboards, guitars, MP3 devices and so on.

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #620 of 1,112
It 
  Anyone running M8 on MAC 10.11 El Capitan? I currently have a Modi 2, but the volume control in MAC doesn't work with that(Can only mute and unmute). Will El Capitan's volume control work with M8?

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.5, and the keyboard volume control isn't meant to work. However there have been times when it did.  I read somewhere that it might be due to drivers & that when you are running the DAC in 32bit mode it might work (so either force the DAC if your players allows you to always use 32bit mode, or try a 32bit music file).
It may be worth looking at aggregate devices in 'Audio Midi Setup' too (If i remember correctly).

Worth a try

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #622 of 1,112

I am selling my SMSL stack for $350. It Includes M8, P1 and VA2. The price also includes Paypal fees and shipping. Its basically 2 months old. I cannot speak for the other DACs you mentioned but M8 paired with P1 creates a very detailed and smooth music reproduction. Available reviews can attest to the quality of M8. 

I bought the same stack brand new and the W6 cables for a total of $324 (£229.50) from the Ebay seller pericross in September 2015.  I'm in the UK so maybe we fair better in the conversion process?  Anyway so long as mine keeps working, I have no plans on upgrading for a while....very happy and satisfied! :)

Mar 25, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #623 of 1,112
  @rootscript 

Another thing that popped up in my mind was that the major reason I'm thinking of the Gustard X12 or the NFB-1DAC is that they have balanced XLR outputs. Wheres the NFB-11 or the M8 only has RCA. Can you comment on the emi/interfernce susceptibility in the real world for a desktop system? (The signal wires will be about 4-6feet in length.) Also, are there better sheilded RCA cables available that can rival XLR? 
And finally any advantage of having XLR, besides the obvious that I connect to a Powered monitor/pro Amp.

Unbalanced outputs on the M8 was one of my main concerns prior to buying it, but I am happy to say my concerns were for nothing because the signal path is completely quiet.  I also have a well equipped music production home studio, and I am well aware of the problems that can happen with unbalanced connections.  Naturally you just have to apply good cable connection practice, e.g. keep audio cable lengths short and keep them well away from power cables where possible, or have them at 90° angles to each other to minimise noise from the power cables leaking into the audio ones etc.

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #625 of 1,112
Anyone have opinions on running the M8 off a unit like the ChargeTech Portable Power Outlet? I have one of these and was wondering if using an external powerbank would work and/or be an improvement?

https://chargetech.com/product/portable-power-outlet/

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #627 of 1,112
  Anyone have opinions on running the M8 off a unit like the ChargeTech Portable Power Outlet? I have one of these and was wondering if using an external powerbank would work and/or be an improvement?

https://chargetech.com/product/portable-power-outlet/

It might be a good power source if you can draw power directly from its battery; otherwise, noise generated from any switching circuit can have a negative impact to a hifi equipment. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #628 of 1,112
Contemplating on adding the P1 to my M8. Few questions to anybody already using M8 + P1:

1. Does adding P1 change the soundstage? Because it's not so wide and deep right now.
2. Does adding P1 change the tonal balance, or smoothen the treble? Right now, the bass is punchy, mids somewhat dry and recessed, and treble too hot.
3. Does adding P1 generally justify the price payed for it, or is the difference between and after, more on the "slightly" level?

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:01 AM Post #629 of 1,112
  Contemplating on adding the P1 to my M8. Few questions to anybody already using M8 + P1:

1. Does adding P1 change the soundstage? Because it's not so wide and deep right now.
2. Does adding P1 change the tonal balance, or smoothen the treble? Right now, the bass is punchy, mids somewhat dry and recessed, and treble too hot.
3. Does adding P1 generally justify the price payed for it, or is the difference between and after, more on the "slightly" level?

I read somewhere on Massdrop about a detailed impression of a guy comparing the M8 with and without LPS as well as some other DACs and matrix x-sabre. He states that the improvements are not dramatic, but there are slight differences in soundstage, adds some detail and refines lows. Nobody should expect a LPS to make drastic differences and certainly not tonal balance change. That would be much more dependent on your amp and cans. However, sabre chips do tend to add some sparkle/air and it varies among DACs, but IMO M8 has none of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back