New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Mar 28, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #631 of 1,112
  To my ears it has not changed either 1 OR 2 significantly. But the background hiss or hum have totally vanished. 

You can sometimes reduce this significantly by using wasapi or asio instead of DS if you are using USB. A lot of songs tend to have non black background and that's just the way it is. When you have serious problem with your power source interference. I guess that's when LPS comes into play.

Mar 28, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #633 of 1,112
Contemplating on adding the P1 to my M8. Few questions to anybody already using M8 + P1:

1. Does adding P1 change the soundstage? Because it's not so wide and deep right now.
2. Does adding P1 change the tonal balance, or smoothen the treble? Right now, the bass is punchy, mids somewhat dry and recessed, and treble too hot.
3. Does adding P1 generally justify the price payed for it, or is the difference between and after, more on the "slightly" level?

I couldn't hear a difference between the stock power supply and the P1.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #634 of 1,112
  I read somewhere on Massdrop about a detailed impression of a guy comparing the M8 with and without LPS as well as some other DACs and matrix x-sabre. He states that the improvements are not dramatic, but there are slight differences in soundstage, adds some detail and refines lows. Nobody should expect a LPS to make drastic differences and certainly not tonal balance change. That would be much more dependent on your amp and cans. However, sabre chips do tend to add some sparkle/air and it varies among DACs, but IMO M8 has none of that.

To my ears it has not changed either 1 OR 2 significantly. But the background hiss or hum have totally vanished. 

I couldn't hear a difference between the stock power supply and the P1.

Thanks a lot everybody. I have just connected M8 to my amp-floorstanders system and compared flac to CDs, that's where I heard quite a difference. Maybe are Marantz CD players (CS4398) tuned to sound more mellow and I got used to that sound. Anyway M8 sounded to me as I described in my questions.

Only today on AliExpress, if ordered through mobile app, P1 will be $114,79, incl shipment: 
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-NEW-SMSL-P1-Linear-Power-Supply-two-output-for-the-decoder-and-headphone-amp-use/32294484471.html

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #635 of 1,112
  Contemplating on adding the P1 to my M8. Few questions to anybody already using M8 + P1:

1. Does adding P1 change the soundstage? Because it's not so wide and deep right now.
2. Does adding P1 change the tonal balance, or smoothen the treble? Right now, the bass is punchy, mids somewhat dry and recessed, and treble too hot.
3. Does adding P1 generally justify the price payed for it, or is the difference between and after, more on the "slightly" level?

P1 itself definitely does not justify the price because one can easily make a much better one with that amount of money; however, it justifies the price if it improve the sound.

Then one I made by pooling some parts together definitely improves the sound of M8. I just need a little more time to package it in a nicer box.

Apr 4, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #644 of 1,112
I'm looking at PSU alternatives. $140 seems a lot to pay for the P1 given the original cost of the M8. Has anyone tried the HiFiMeDIY options including http://hifimediy.com/power-supplies/ready-made-power-supplies/0-to-32-adjustable-power-supply ($55) or even http://hifimediy.com/power-supplies/ready-made-power-supplies/PSM3plus-Power-supply-110V ($30). The latter is designed specifically for the Sabre DAC, is rated at only 8v, and is probably half way between the P1 and Walmart. I have also had it confirmed that it is linear so I see no reason why it shouldn't work.

Apr 5, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #645 of 1,112
  Is there any way to get the M8's display to dim or turn off while music is playing?

The reviewer on UK Amazon wrote that anyway, the oled display starts fading away after some time: 
http://www.amazon.co.uk/M8-Optical-Coaxial-Asynchronous-Decoder/dp/B00XVSX8Z2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459837979&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+m8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back