New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #496 of 1,112
  Hi guys, does anyone know how the SMSL stack (m8,va2, p1) compares with the sound blaster creative x7? Also, has anyone tried smsl after sale support or warranty as i have seen some people claiming that the after sale support is appalling. 

I have the SMSL stack and having used many Soundblaster products down the years, I would say the SMSL would blow its sorry arse out of the water.  The SMSL lacks support for surround sound though, so if that is important to you I would look for something else.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #501 of 1,112
Hi,
Is this the correct SMSL M8 to get from amazon?

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-Optical-Coaxial-Asynchronous-decoder/dp/B00PS0WLX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1456241074&sr=8-1&keywords=smsl+m8

I noticed there are a couple of different ones being sold on there but this one is sold by pericross.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #502 of 1,112
Feb 23, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #503 of 1,112

yes. thats the one. usually Pericross takes reasonable offers on eBay. I got my P1 from him for way less than usual retail. Shenzhen audio is also a reliable seller. I got my M8 from them on a flash sale for $118 dollars shipped. You'll never go wrong with Amazon sellers. Returns are always seamless. 

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #504 of 1,112
yes. thats the one. usually Pericross takes reasonable offers on eBay. I got my P1 from him for way less than usual retail. Shenzhen audio is also a reliable seller. I got my M8 from them on a flash sale for $118 dollars shipped. You'll never go wrong with Amazon sellers. Returns are always seamless. 

That must have been the best deal during life time.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #505 of 1,112
That must have been the best deal during life time.

Oh hell yah! I got my whole stack (P1, VA2 and M8) for only $303 which sounds like a $1000 and more. I got lucky with my stack. Shenzhen audio had a sale on my M8, Pericross gave me a great deal on my P1 and Amazon mistakenly gave me a black VA2 (they sent me a silver one for 50% off). 

Feb 23, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #506 of 1,112
  Oh hell yah! I got my whole stack (P1, VA2 and M8) for only $303 which sounds like a $1000 and more. I got lucky with my stack. Shenzhen audio had a sale on my M8, Pericross gave me a great deal on my P1 and Amazon mistakenly gave me a black VA2 (they sent me a silver one for 50% off). 

You were really lucky.

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #507 of 1,112
Does anyone have an idea how this compares to a Peachtree DAC ITx?  It uses an older ESS 9023 chip.  I'm just curious if anyone's heard both and had thoughts.

I like the Peachtree and I'm using it with an Asgard 2 which I like as well.  I don't know I don't have a huge issue with either product and I especially like the controls on the Peachtree DAC.  I'm just kind of curious about trying some new gear.  I'd prefer something slightly warmer or more musical sounding.

Feb 24, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #508 of 1,112
  Does anyone have an idea how this compares to a Peachtree DAC ITx?  It uses an older ESS 9023 chip.  I'm just curious if anyone's heard both and had thoughts.

I like the Peachtree and I'm using it with an Asgard 2 which I like as well.  I don't know I don't have a huge issue with either product and I especially like the controls on the Peachtree DAC.  I'm just kind of curious about trying some new gear.  I'd prefer something slightly warmer or more musical sounding.

Don't know about the Peachtree, but have SMSL M2 and Shanling DR.2.1, both using ESS 9023. I don't think you'll get much different sound sig with M8. If you want warmer and more musical sounding DAC, you should check something with WM8740 (like SMSL Sanskrit6), or with PCM1793. 

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #509 of 1,112

I came from a dacitx and a asgard 2. I didn't do a comparison. But the m8 is more detailed and neutral.

Feb 25, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #510 of 1,112
I got a lemon...it creates a audible hum when playing low frequency.

Tried everything, including:
optical input, different computers(different OS too), different USB ports, different power plugs, different computer volume(which should always be set to max anyways), different filter, and even different headphones. Nothing worked. Hopefully Massdrop will offer a refund. 

The question is:
Is it worth buying another unit? Does it actually offer 124snr it claims? If it doesn't, the AK Jr. I have provides solid 1.9vRm output with 114snr(not spec wise, but from RMAA), which is pretty hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back