New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Feb 3, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #961 of 1,112
I bought it from massdrop in January 2017. I installed the drivers as instructed but still getting error when playing DSD256 "sample rate not supported by device". I'm guessing they sent me the older model?

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #962 of 1,112
SOLVED!!!

Symptom - m8 plugged in to linux system, boot up. System thinks it's sending sound to the device but you hear nothing.

The fix - open a terminal window,

type in alsamixer to start the alsamixer application

make sure each column has "00" under it and not "MM" if not press the "m" key to toggle this so everything reads "00"

Now select the correct "sound card" by pressing F6 - cursor down to the m8 device listing.

Under each interface column (mine shows IAP Interface and IAP Interface 1) make sure it shows "00" and if not press the "m" key to toggle out of "MM" which by the way stands for mute.

For some reason if you boot up with the M8 plugged in - you can enter this state. Not all the time but some times (when you most want to listen to music).

Happy listening.

Jerry

Feb 4, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #963 of 1,112
  SOLVED!!!

Symptom - m8 plugged in to linux system, boot up. System thinks it's sending sound to the device but you hear nothing.

Glad you got it solved. I'm quite happy with the M8 so far. And with the VA2 too. Didn't even expect them to be so quiet with the SE846 but it's a totally dead flat silence, zero hiss. Going to check with the CA Andromeda next week, they are even more sensitive.

This is a neat stack. I think they could be priced a bit lower, but still at the current prices there aren't all that many good alternatives.

Hopefully the units are durable too. That's my only concern.

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #964 of 1,112
I guess it's an anomaly in the xmos driver.

I bought my complete stack for $370 with the help of a Chinese friend who purchased it there, and had it sent here. So eventually the price will come down.

J

Feb 18, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #966 of 1,112
I bought it from massdrop in January 2017. I installed the drivers as instructed but still getting error when playing DSD256 "sample rate not supported by device". I'm guessing they sent me the older model?
Hi! Were you able to play dsd256 materials on your M8 already? Or are you still considering having received an outdated unit from Massdrop?

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #967 of 1,112
Looking for a sub 200 DAC for my laptop, and the only real options seem to be ifi nano idsd or smsl m6. I could stretch by budget to 250, the price of m8, but I really wonder if it's worthy. Gonna use it with headphones only, and people say that M6 has a better hp output than the M8. Any opinion for which DAC should I go with, based on these DAC's audition?

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #969 of 1,112
  Looking for a sub 200 DAC for my laptop, and the only real options seem to be ifi nano idsd or smsl m6. I could stretch by budget to 250, the price of m8, but I really wonder if it's worthy. Gonna use it with headphones only, and people say that M6 has a better hp output than the M8. Any opinion for which DAC should I go with, based on these DAC's audition?

The M8 doesn't have an amp section as it is only a DAC with RCA outputs.

Feb 22, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #970 of 1,112

You can get M8 from Massdrop for less than $200. However, as mentioned in the previous post, M8 does not have amp in it, and it needs an external power supply that makes it a less ideal mate for a laptop intended for mobility.

Feb 22, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #971 of 1,112

M8 has no built in  amp, DAC only,  never heard the M6, read it is nice, but the iDSD Nano LE can be had for $129, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0DVG58/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=94LOVIEPPGP9&coliid=I1A4RYUNNEDQO6

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #972 of 1,112

You can get M8 from Massdrop for less than $200. However, as mentioned in the previous post, M8 does not have amp in it, and it needs an external power supply that makes it a less ideal mate for a laptop intended for mobility.

Thanks, I've already ordered the iDSD. If I'm not satisfied with it, at least I know that I have to to throw in 1k+ for the start, to even have the chance to be satisfied with the SQ.

Feb 23, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #973 of 1,112

M8 has no built in  amp, DAC only,  never heard the M6, read it is nice, but the iDSD Nano LE can be had for $129, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0DVG58/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=94LOVIEPPGP9&coliid=I1A4RYUNNEDQO6

Thanks, but it does not ship to Europe, and it would be +24% VAT at least. Price in Europe is Eur 200, gotta live with it. And I'm talking about the non LE variant.

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #975 of 1,112

Thanks, but it does not ship to Europe, and it would be +24% VAT at least. Price in Europe is Eur 200, gotta live with it. And I'm talking about the non LE variant.

The M8 is worth it tho, but you do need the amp too so it's just not a very transportable option.

By the way, for Europeans, I'm thinking of flipping my VA2+M8+P1 stack.... works fine and is under warranty, but I have some unfrugal gluttony for the Sony TA-ZH1ES and well, one makes the other redundant. So if you're in the EU and want this stack, that's a way to get it cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back