New M8 DAC from SMSL (9018/XMOS)
Jan 12, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #946 of 1,112
  Thanks WWMHF,

I have installed the xmos driver that shows as USB Audio 2.0 Stereo Driver v3.20.0

Is this the latest version?

My dac isn't even recognized. That is when I call up the "Sound" page on control panel it only lists the "realtek High Definition Audio" built in card and nothing else. (Other dacs work based on the CM6631 Cmedia receiver.)

Suggestions appreciated.

Have you tried connecting it via coaxial? I used it via USB for quite some time but recently changed to coaxial and the only thing listed now is indeed Realtek HD Audio.

Jan 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #947 of 1,112
Haven't tried coax yet. USB is receiving. But I have it with my friend who is trying on his computers to make sure my computers aren't the issue.

Again this is a brand new driver for a brand new series evidently, so older units may work fine. This one isn't. We'll get to the bottom of this by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for the help though I will ask him to try the coax input.

Jerry

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:06 PM Post #948 of 1,112
Thanks WWMHF,

My dac isn't even recognized. That is when I call up the "Sound" page on control panel it only lists the "realtek High Definition Audio" built in card and nothing else. (Other dacs work based on the CM6631 Cmedia receiver.)

Suggestions appreciated.

J

I'm facing a similar problem. I've just arrived home from vacations and my M8 isn't been recognized by my Intel NUC. It worked flawlessly for an year and a half.

I changed USB ports, cables, and nothing worked. When I tried to reinstall the driver it shows an error "connect device to install...", But it's connected.

Any idea?

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #950 of 1,112
I've had similar problems with the M8, and the iDSD, what worked for me is to disconnect DAC, completely uninstall driver, then reinstall like you normally would.

Thank you but now I think the problem is in the M8. I've just tried to install the M8 on another PC and it didn't recognize either.

I'm unable to test the coaxial and optical inputs.

Is there a chance to repair it without sending the DAC to China?

Jan 17, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #951 of 1,112
Update - OK on a separate Linux machine all works with standard PCM files. I am not going to try DSD on a linux machine because I think this is what must have screwed up a configuration file somewhere for alsa, pulse, or something. But sample rates switch through clementine so long as I specify - alsa and  hw:1 (you have to find out what number your dac is by running alsamixer from a terminal window and hitting f6).

Windows - you need to install the latest xmos driver for dacs built after 12/16. In windows all works. I haven't yet tried DSD.

What a pain. I will probably have to re-install linux mint to get it working again. I can't figure out how I broke it. But broke it I did!

J

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #953 of 1,112
I noticed with driver v3.2 with the Windows 10 anniversary update I have to disable secure boot in my UEFi(bios) for my SMSL M8 to work. The new v3.34 driver is for the newer SMSL m8 made in December or after.

Thank you but it was already disabled.
I just installed win10 and the problem persist. DAC not recognized.

I don't have a usb-spdif interface but I used a hdmi audio extractor and connected to M8 via coaxial. It worked. But I lost audio in my TV/monitor, so it isnt the solution i need for.

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:08 AM Post #954 of 1,112
Right now, the M8 is on massdrop for 180... basically the same price as an idsd nano... I likely wont buy another dac in my future, which one should I go for assuming that it will mostly be plugged into the desktop.

I am worried about the problems mentioned in this thread, as I want the dac to last me more than just a year....

Feb 3, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #956 of 1,112
  Right now, the M8 is on massdrop for 180... basically the same price as an idsd nano... I likely wont buy another dac in my future, which one should I go for assuming that it will mostly be plugged into the desktop.

I am worried about the problems mentioned in this thread, as I want the dac to last me more than just a year....

If I were you, I will go with M8, especially the new version, for a desktop set. It has the potential to sound better with a better power supply and better music source. 

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #957 of 1,112
Just got my package with M8 from massdrop. Not sure if I received the newest model or not. It does have "screensaver on/off" function. I installed the drivers from http://www.xmos.com/support/usb-audio-driver-support

DSDx64 and DSDx128 works in foobar, but DSDx256 doesn't. Is there anything I can do about it? Install some newer drivers or firmware? Or was I just unlucky and received the older model that has to be sent to China in order to play DSDx256?

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #959 of 1,112
  You need to uninstall all xmos drivers.
Go here : http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?classid=94&p=2
download the "newest version" of the driver and install all of that.

By "newest version" you mean the file from 13th December that has "newest version" in its filename? Cause there's also a "newer" driver just called M8 from 23th December.

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #960 of 1,112
I am assuming you bought yours after 2017 started in which case it is a post December production unit.

"
M8(DSD256) Driver((Used for the newest version of M8 produced on or after Dec. 2016)"​

Would  be the link you want.​

Regards,​

Jerry​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back