New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Sep 22, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #1,486 of 1,514

Quote:

Also interested to see if any Stax lovers here listen to their Staxes on vinyl - the price of some really good vinyl setups can go up to the better half of a million.

I do:))
the problem is not the price of the record player but to set up an analog system and keeping your discs and fingers clean.
I have different systems. A Revox 795 (tangential tonearm!) / ARega Planar 3 with modified platter ... And my third system is getting into shape an Technics sp 10 with STAX UA7 and UA9 using a STAX CP-Y.

Regards Georg

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:56 PM Post #1,487 of 1,514

[size=medium]
For those interested: I started a discussion on modeling of SR009's acoustic performance: http://www.head-fi.org/t/572968/modeling-headphone-s-acoustic-performance#post_7774290 . It also has some measurement results... I thought this should be in its own thread as it's borderline derail for this impression's thread...
[/size]

Sep 23, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #1,488 of 1,514

Quote:
I do:))
the problem is not the price of the record player but to set up an analog system and keeping your discs and fingers clean.
I have different systems. A Revox 795 (tangential tonearm!) / ARega Planar 3 with modified platter ... And my third system is getting into shape an Technics sp 10 with STAX UA7 and UA9 using a STAX CP-Y.

Regards Georg

Do you hear anything different with a tangential arm?

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #1,489 of 1,514
Dear Edstrelow,

it's really fun to use. You can't break your pickup (with the revox arm!) because if you touch the arm it is going up.
I think you really get a mor e relaxed sound at the inner part of the record compared to the RB 300.

I think the point is that you "read" the record the way it is "written".

BUT tangential tonearms are very expensive and many of them don't work really perfect.

The Revox is quite okay for everyday listening but I would not say it is High End like BERGMANN AUDIO arms!!!

Regards Georg

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #1,490 of 1,514
I have  used B&O tangential trackers for some years and see no need to change.  Several years ago I was able to compare the 4000 against a Linn Sondek/SME and found the B&O better. However the last B&O's cut some corners.  It's good to see someone is still making state-of-the art tangential trackers.  However I generally don't buy components that cost more than my car.

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #1,491 of 1,514
Hi,

I always preferred tangential trackers over radial trackers.  Still have a B&O 4002 and MCC20CL (one of the best Moving Magnet [if you can call it that] cartridges at the time IMO -  outstanding on voice) and a matched pair of Pioneer PL1000As, modified for remote control.    I was most taken with the Revox (already had owned a A77MkIII, A700, B77, B226) but never quite got to buying one. 

I might be showing showing my age but IMO no one including B&O ever made a more elegant turntable than the 4002, pity the coating on the control pad wears off.  Those late B&Os had that (unique to turntables?) eddy current motor for the turntable which was intriguing.

The Pioneer's linear tracker is a very nice piece of engineering but I had to rewire the audio cables through the chassis the originals were very disappointing.  I used the Pioneers for A-B testing cartridges - I really hated cartridges, never found one that I was totally happy with - even before they went wrong.
angry_face.gif
  That is why I like digital, no suspensions to fail in my sub-tropical climate.

Regards,
Bob

Nov 27, 2011 at 3:34 AM Post #1,492 of 1,514
What is this new electrostatic amplifier being built by a reliable famous amplifier builder you're speaking of????? Maybe I will have to cancel my order of the BHSE after all
eek.gif
Quote:
I used my 727a kindly modded by spritzer to power the SR009 and SR Omega and (sometime te O2 mkI.)

I know that it probably will not do justice to them but HE90 is also powered by a kind of energizer.   the R10
Qualia seems to be benefit here because they were driven by balanced beta22.

I have been waiting for some time for the Aristaeus, BHSE and new 300B balancing act.  I hope to get the 300B
BA soon and that should be the most appropriate way to drive those phone.  I also heard some good news that
another reliable famous amplifier builder will build new electrostatic amplifier which may be better than the BHSE and will
probably comes out as soon as July.  It will use 4 300B tubes as power, 2  6SN7's as drivers or 1 6SN7 + 1 6SL7 as driver
(more flexibility and ? better SQ)  , 5AR4 and 6AL5 as rectifier.  I strongly hope that this will be good , hope to be better
than the BHSE although I doubted that.   But It will comes in July , that's a very good news indeed/
I don't have ultrsone 8 or 9 or 10, those are my wishlists but I never dare to pull the trigger until their aftersale service is better

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #1,494 of 1,514
What is this new electrostatic amplifier being built by a reliable famous amplifier builder you're speaking of?????
   Yes, it is indeed the Electra by Eddiecurrent.com.   I was informed during the contact with Craig during the purchase of Balancing Act.
    It is still in prototype for the standard version.    His prototype can achieve 1800 V voltage swing which should be more than enough to
drive any Stax headphones.
    It is supposed to come out around February but please don't cancel the BHSE because there is some uncertainty.  The BHSE
is more proven.  Although the Electra seems very promising .

Nov 28, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #1,495 of 1,514
Eddie Current Electra vs BHSE vs WES vs Cavalli Liquid Lightning

Which one is the best?

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:12 AM Post #1,496 of 1,514

Quote:
What is the voltage swing of the BHSE and what does that stuff mean anyway?
PS: I won't cancel my BHSE order and I might as well e-mail Justin about where it's at completion wise.

Originally Posted by kiertijai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What is this new electrostatic amplifier being built by a reliable famous amplifier builder you're speaking of?????
   Yes, it is indeed the Electra by Eddiecurrent.com.   I was informed during the contact with Craig during the purchase of Balancing Act.
    It is still in prototype for the standard version.   I think the sound is similar to Craig's Balancing Act : warmer, fast, resolute, dynamic,
extended high and low.  He changes his design so that now it can achieve 1800 V voltage swing which should be more than enough to
drive any Stax headphones.
    It is supposed to come out around February but please don't cancel the BHSE because there is some uncertainty.  The BHSE
is more proven.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:55 AM Post #1,497 of 1,514
Quote:
Eddie Current Electra vs BHSE vs WES vs Cavalli Liquid Lightning

Which one is the best?

I think each will have its vocal supporters, and they all offer slightly different intangibles.  We need someone to bite the bullet, get all three -- perhaps somebody who is considering the Antelope Zodiac Gold and a Liquid Fire for an office rig
wink_face.gif
 -- and give us a full report. 

Apr 1, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #1,500 of 1,514
Listening to Ben Harper's Fight For Your Mind, very very nice ! Last I heard this was probably some years back and with a dynamic headphone or my Omega 2. Never heard as much detail in the recording as today, but at the time it's so natural, not shoved into my ears.

If there's one complain to make with the 009 is that it just won't let you enjoy average recordings but it doesn't mean you can't listen to any rock recording. I wish every producer / artist / mixer would take a stance to not butcher a recording for the sake of being louder. This recording dates back to 1995, I guess things went downhill by the end of that decade (see http://dr.loudness-war.info/ ).

Think I may stay up a bit longer and sample through The Will to Live :wink:.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back