New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Sep 16, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #1,471 of 1,514
Quote:
Interesting.  The 6moons review is glowing on the BP.  I wonder if there's any point getting the 3.5 over the 1.  I'll need to do more research.  The used units are far more sanely priced than the Shunyata snake oil, though I haven't seen something close to a $300-400 used signature unit yet.  If the unit runs silently then that's a very temping buy over lab equipment.

Guess it's time to hunt around for a used BPT unit.  I was just about to pull the trigger on another unit, too :)

FYI, all 6moons reviews in general tend to glow regardless of the item being reviewed, especially if they're written by Srajan. I'd recommend paying no attention to Srajan's reviews.

I'd also recommend holding off on buying a power conditioner until the rest of your system is in place and totally & completely finalized. It's the last item in the system that anyone should buy for obvious reasons - it's the AC power "support" for an entire system and you should choose carefully & wisely depending on what kind of features you want and the other components in the system. And you really don't want to have to sell (or return) most power conditioners, because they tend to be really heavy. Research everything about them first - then decide, and once you know what you want, then you can look for a deal on one (like at Audiogon). Resist the urge to buy something prematurely - you could easily end up regretting it.

I don't own a power conditioner myself yet because I'm not quite at that ending stage where my audio equipment is finalized, but I will be soon.
smile.gif

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #1,472 of 1,514
Well, I'm trying to rein in my reflexive snarky response whenever I read a professional review :)  I'll keep my bs meter primed for that particular reviewer.

I ran across a pretty good deal on a prewired ferroresonant transformer, and I have my audio gear on a budget $10 Monster power strip I picked up on clearance a long time ago, so I figure that it'd be unwise to gamble on putting $10k+ worth of gear on something like that.  It's more expensive than getting a Sola transformer and wiring it myself, but the Sola looks like something I'd leave in my garage, and at least this potential transformer has a nice chassis, a little dampened, and prewired.  It's 1200VA and 10amps, so I figure that'd be plenty for a BHSE and DAC.

The issue I keep running across on the pro sites about ferroresonant transformers is the noise, consequently being unsuitable for a rack, and better placed near the breaker.  I'm wondering if 20-30 feet is enough to be far enough from the hum so that it's not noticable with headphones on.  Also, I'm trying to figure out if it's fine to just hook up some 30ft extension cords from the transformer across the room to my table (with the amp and DAC) (or even more convenient, a transformer -> extension cord -> 6 plug power strip).

It seems like a standard $150-200 CyberPower UPS is plenty for a computer, and there's no need to go transformer -> UPS due to redundancy.

Sorry for getting a bit off topic.  I was thinking about starting a thread like this, but this seemed like a good opportunity since most people on this thread probably have similar equipment, experiences, and concerns.  Anyway, would appreciate any insight into this.

I accept that there's probably no resale value on a 70lb+ transformer.  If it doesn't work out, I'd probably find someone to give it to.

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #1,473 of 1,514

Quote:
Interesting.  The 6moons review is glowing on the BP.  I wonder if there's any point getting the 3.5 over the 1.  I'll need to do more research.  The used units are far more sanely priced than the Shunyata snake oil, though I haven't seen something close to a $300-400 used signature unit yet.  If the unit runs silently then that's a very temping buy over lab equipment.

Guess it's time to hunt around for a used BPT unit.  I was just about to pull the trigger on another unit, too :)

Six moons loves B-P-T. I haven't compared mine directly against similar units from Furman, Equi=Tech, or Silver Circle, but I think Chris makes a very solid product, and I like how customizable everything is. Don't want to pay for a fancy front panel? You don't have to. You can get anything from basic Hubbell hospital grade outlets to $180/ea Furutech GTX. Several different wiring options are offered, or you could probably supply your own if you wanted to. Chris also makes no attempt to hide what goes in his boxes. I also don't think my $1200 BP-1 would be embarrassed by $5,000 Audience and RSA conditioners. To my ears it does sound better than the standard Auricap based Audience models, as well as the entry level RSA Haley.

The BP-1 is 7.5 Amp capable, and is more than enough for headphone setups or source equipment in a full system. It weighs 40lbs which is pretty reasonable. The 65lb BP-3.5 can dish out 20 amps, and power full systems. It also pretty much needs a 20A circuit.

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #1,474 of 1,514
Along with the new headphone system l'm eventually getting, l was considering the Furman it reference 16ei but decided against it because of it's size, weight and the need of different plugs, the main factor was it's size which is why l'll be going for the Kemp 6-way power strip plus, it's long and thin and can be positioned behind the audio and video equipment, l'm mainly getting it for surge protection, if it improves the sound and picture quality then that's a bonus. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #1,475 of 1,514
I ended up purchasing a Sola MCR VA1000 today.  Negotiated a steep discount from a Sola distributor for a new unit.  1000 VA is overkill for a headphone amp and D/A, so I don't expect any negative effects on the dynamics, which some people have theorized if the total load gets too close to the VA rating.  I've seen some guides mention keeping the total load on the transformer below 60% of the VA, though that number seems a bit conservative.  The unit was unfortunately several times more expensive than buying a used Sola CVT unit (which requires wiring), but on the bright side, this has a clean, new chassis, is already wired, and doesn't resemble something out of Mad Max, so the premium doesn't seem too bad, especially considering that it was far cheaper than even a used Shunyata, PS Audio Regenerator, etc.  I actually found an even cheaper UK CVT, but Sola has many happy owners on many audio forums, so I shelled out more for the brand name and reliable distributor (even though the datasheet specs are identical in all the functionally relevant categories).

It's a ferroresonant transformer so it's a very tried-and-true technology. Build quality is like a tank and Sola CVTs have great reviews among the pro crowd, so I expect this equipment should treat me well for a very long time.  I needed to purchase something like this eventually anyway to protect my audio gear, so I decided to just get the purchase out of the way before more expensive gear arrives.  If I actually notice a difference, I'll post a more thorough impressions in the power/cables forum, but for now, I'm just happy with the peace of mind of having industrial/hospital-grade protection for my gear.  On top of the great harmonic distortion and noise filtering inherent to ferroresonants, no undesirables are going to get past that transformer
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #1,476 of 1,514
one other choice for optimizing your power grid is to go 'all the way' and get a full system balanced isolation transformer. last year i installed an Equi=tech 10WQ wall panel system. it includes a high quality power distribution panel, and is fully UL approved when properly installed. mine is installed in the hallway outside my dedicated room. it weighs about 380 pounds total.

http://www.equitech.com/products/industrial/wall.html

it uses a 190 pound balanced isolation 'Q-type' transformer with a 10kvw rating to completely isolate your system's a/c power from the grid. it adds dynamics, lowers distortion, and lowers the noise floor in ways that stand alone boxes cannot. imagine every power supply in your system getting more linear power. obviously, it's not practical for everyone. OTOH in terms of cost, if you have a large system and you are trying to provide all your gear with ideal power this approach is actually cheaper and more elegant than a number of stand alone power conditioners that cannot approach it's performance.

there are other full system isolation transformers that can be even less costly; the Equi-tech is simply one way to go.

and don't confuse the small stand-alone Equi=tech power conditioners with this bad boy. they have little in common.

i use a double ground rod grounding system right outside the room, #10 gauge Romex home runs to each of 10 dedicated Furutech GTX-D Rhodeium duplex outlets, and Absolute Fidelity power cords.

it's like doing an upgrade to every piece of gear. i'm anticipating arrival of my 009's 'any moment' and BHSE 'who knows when' and know they will be fed the best possible power.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #1,477 of 1,514
My two cents on the SR-009:

Their brightness is positive.  It is not a brightness of fatigue.  They beat the SR-007 in everything except one area-   that warm whallop- the "signature"
of the SR-007.

I love that whallop- and the warmth draws me into the music in a very emotional way- so I plan to keep my SR-007.   Of course the SR-007 is easier on the ears than the SR-009- it is veiling/coloring the detail- in such a beautiful way.  But the SR-009 is at the point where it is revealing the most detail possible  with the least coloration while still being easier on the ears than the vast majority of audiophile headphones.  The SR-009 is nowhere near the most detailed headphone I have heard.  The Qualia is the first to come to mind that presents more- but that headphone to my ears is a clear example of non-positive brightness- serious ear pain.

I think Stax did an fantastic job weighing out every aspect of this phone- and particularly the balance of detail presentation while not crossing that dangerous border of ear fatigue.  If others feel it does cross that border- it is certainly by very little.

Sep 18, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #1,478 of 1,514
Quote:
Their brightness is positive.  It is not a brightness of fatigue.  They beat the SR-007 in everything except one area-   that warm whallop- the "signature"
of the SR-007.

Thank you for your observations :)  What amp are you pairing with the SR-007 to get the signature you reference?  Also, do you feel that signature only comes out with that particular amp?

I'm starting to feel pretty happy that I ordered 2 Stax jacks on the BHSE.  That way I can keep both the 009 and 007A plugged in!  The more observations that come out, the more it seems the 007 and 009 series excel at specific attributes, while still remaining complementary to one another.  I haven't read too many people say that they're going to sell their 007s right away, now that they have the 009.

I do occasionally miss the brightness of the Grados, and it would be nice to have the brightness back in a non-fatiguing way.  Sometimes I find myself turning the volume higher on the 007As than I should, to try to get that last bit of high-end clarity.  I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #1,479 of 1,514

Quote:
Thank you for your observations :)  What amp are you pairing with the SR-007 to get the signature you reference?  Also, do you feel that signature only comes out with that particular amp?

I'm starting to feel pretty happy that I ordered 2 Stax jacks on the BHSE.  That way I can keep both the 009 and 007A plugged in!  The more observations that come out, the more it seems the 007 and 009 series excel at specific attributes, while still remaining complementary to one another.  I haven't read too many people say that they're going to sell their 007s right away, now that they have the 009.

I do occasionally miss the brightness of the Grados, and it would be nice to have the brightness back in a non-fatiguing way.  Sometimes I find myself turning the volume higher on the 007As than I should, to try to get that last bit of high-end clarity.  I wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I have a BHSE.  I do have 2 DAC's- a tube DAC and a Solid state- and both sound beautiful- just different with the SR-009.  Ironically- I like the Tube DAC only with the SR-007.  I would think the SS DAC with less coloration would be better match for the more colored SR-007- but- in this case I like more coloration- it just pulls me in.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #1,480 of 1,514

Quote:

Hi Elysian,
l guess l'm taking a bit of a gamble because l had the SR-007mk1's but no longer have, l've used them along with some other audio items to help get the K-01, l'm getting the SR-009's and have the money to get them now if l wanted to, but there's no point until l receive the K-01 + BHSE.
                                                      Dave.

P.S. l've also ordered the BHSE with two Stax jacks.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #1,481 of 1,514
rsbrsvp: I'm not too surprised you prefer the tubes with the 007, given the reputation stats have for being a bit too detached.  For something like the 007, I think it's best to go as overboard as possible with as analog-sounding setup as possible.  That's why I disqualified the DACs which have a reputation for sounding airy (Debussy, Meitner, D-01/D-03).  Those DACs, I'd imagine, would pair better with the 009.  Just from having the GES, I am guessing what people mean by the O2s are starved for power, that the BHSE would help make the sound much fuller and rich, as it does sound a bit thin at times with some recordings, especially at low volume.  My biggest wish would be for the 007A to sound fuller, like the LCD-2 does (though this only applies to some recordings!).

David1961: You've got a pretty phenomenal chain going on there.  I've only read superlative things about the K-01.  Since you've lived with stats for awhile, I'd imagine there's not much point going back in until your BHSE has shipped.  I spent a few hours contemplating the HE90 jack, but decided I'd probably be happier with a 007A/009 pairing given the impressions I've read about the HE90.  I'm sure they're a superb pair of headphones, but the reviews about the signature just didn't excite, especially now that many sensible people have said the 009 is the king of details (with the possible exception of the Qualia and R10s).

I wonder how many other people got two Stax jacks.  It seems like at least half a dozen people signed up for the BHSE within a few weeks as Asr's thread picked up with the update from Justin.

Sep 19, 2011 at 5:48 AM Post #1,482 of 1,514
Chinsettawong has almost finished the DIY T2  and will test the amplifier soon.
One of the sockets are  the Stax and the other one is for HE90.
We hope to compare between the HE90, SR Omega, SR009 and O2mkI soon
and we will have several Thai head-fiers who are interested , test and share
their opinion .   I hope we can give you the impressions soon , should be less
than one month.
BTW I am now listening : Alison Krauss : Forget about it using the BA 300B (WE 300B
original + Brimar 6SN7 long bottle) Qualia  vs SR009 driven by modded 727A .  It's an A/B
comparison at the same time because I am  using the Lindemann 825S to Weiss
DAC202 : balanced output to BA300B(Analysis plus golden oval, furutech carbon fiber) and
unbalanced signal via the Stealth Indra to the Spritzer modded 727A .   From this , the Qualia
is better in term of soundstage, detail , resolution but the sweetness of the music goes to
the SR009, both of them are of faster pace than the SR Omega or HE90 in this setup.
The bass response seems to be more prominent with the Qualia.  However the difference may be due
to the balanced output via Analysis plus , carbon fiber termination vs the unbalanced output via
Stealth Indra.  BTW they all sound beautiful so I don't even try to switch the cables.

Sep 19, 2011 at 6:11 AM Post #1,483 of 1,514

Quote:
rsbrsvp: I'm not too surprised you prefer the tubes with the 007, given the reputation stats have for being a bit too detached.  For something like the 007, I think it's best to go as overboard as possible with as analog-sounding setup as possible.  That's why I disqualified the DACs which have a reputation for sounding airy (Debussy, Meitner, D-01/D-03).  Those DACs, I'd imagine, would pair better with the 009.  Just from having the GES, I am guessing what people mean by the O2s are starved for power, that the BHSE would help make the sound much fuller and rich, as it does sound a bit thin at times with some recordings, especially at low volume.  My biggest wish would be for the 007A to sound fuller, like the LCD-2 does (though this only applies to some recordings!).

David1961: You've got a pretty phenomenal chain going on there.  I've only read superlative things about the K-01.  Since you've lived with stats for awhile, I'd imagine there's not much point going back in until your BHSE has shipped.  I spent a few hours contemplating the HE90 jack, but decided I'd probably be happier with a 007A/009 pairing given the impressions I've read about the HE90.  I'm sure they're a superb pair of headphones, but the reviews about the signature just didn't excite, especially now that many sensible people have said the 009 is the king of details (with the possible exception of the Qualia and R10s).

I wonder how many other people got two Stax jacks.  It seems like at least half a dozen people signed up for the BHSE within a few weeks as Asr's thread picked up with the update from Justin.

If the SR-007 sounds thin at times to you- the SR-009 is to my ears much thinner-  less full= more detail/clarity.  That is how my ears hear it- but others who have both phones may want to comment.

Sep 19, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,484 of 1,514

Quote:
If the SR-007 sounds thin at times to you- the SR-009 is to my ears much thinner-  less full= more detail/clarity.  That is how my ears hear it- but others who have both phones may want to comment.

Quote:

lt never entered my head to get a HE90 jack with a Stax because not only are the HE90's hard to come by but are also very expensive, aswell as that, from what l've read they're not supposed to work as good via the BHSE, as l say this is only what l've read because l've never heard or seen the HE90 apart from pictures.

About the K-01, when l went to hear it, it was connected to the Esoteric A-100 + Tannoy Westminster Royal se, the CD Jack Lawson [ the audio dealer ] put on was Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe, and l know this has been said before but it was very life like, in fact if there'd have been curtains in front of the speaker system, l'd have sworn blind Jean Michel Jarre was there playing behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back