New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jan 4, 2011 at 6:15 AM Post #46 of 1,514

Quote:
For reference, you can use discogs.com to check out all the albums from artists (and similar artists). They also have a very good used marketplace.

Nice! I wasn't able to sample the songs though. Was using Safari on mac, maybe should try Firefox...

Quote:
arnaud,

I enjoy your impression of the new Stax.  Have you tried the HD800 in a balanced configuration?  They sounds much better balanced.  Every aspect of sound improved after I run them with balanced amplification.  SE is very good but not great.

Ironically, I have owned to balanced cables the whole time I had the HD800 with me but never managed to listen in balanced mode, even if only in a store! The original plan was to get a balanced amplifier but I got burned with Rudistor and went cold feet on a Balancing Act pre-order... I eventually gave up on the whole thing...

Now, I am sure the imaging in particular must be improved in balanced mode. However, I would be surprised if it also cleans up that slightly grainy / splashy treble (relative to the 007A and now to the C32) and make it as precise / fine sounding as the best electro-stats. I checked your profile but could not identify the balanced amplifier you're running your HD800 with? I do know there are much better amps than my BCL for the HD800, even considering SE only. For instance, the Luxman P1-U was clearly a step up the ladder (and did lots of good things about that treble issue actually).

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #47 of 1,514
Where do I sign up to get one?  I can't wait.  How might they compare to the Stax 4070s? 

Jan 4, 2011 at 8:59 AM Post #48 of 1,514
I sure wish we could have more space to list the equipment we have under our Signature.  Three lines is really not enough anymore. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #49 of 1,514
Just a word of advice and a memory of what happened when the first Sennheiser HD800s came to America.  Does anyone remember the delays and the unsatisfied customers waiting for the arrival of the HD800s?  I hope such problems will not happen the the new Stax C32 Prototypes when they are finalized for shipment.  It might be wise to hold off on their purchase until they get it absolutely right.  There are bound to be some initial kinks. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #50 of 1,514
Dear Arnaud,
   In your opinion what is the better amplifier that you expect to drive the C32 to their full potential : Stax SRM727a, Aristaeus, Woo WES,
Blue Hawaii or Singlepower ES1/ES2  or other headphone amplifier ?  or T2?  or the new Stax headphone amplifier?

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #51 of 1,514

Quote:
Dear Arnaud,
   In your opinion what is the better amplifier that you expect to drive the C32 to their full potential : Stax SRM727a, Aristaeus, Woo WES,
Blue Hawaii or Singlepower ES1/ES2  or other headphone amplifier ?  or T2?  or the new Stax headphone amplifier?

Maybe, ES1. In max version (10 000 $ cost). I'm vote for him.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #52 of 1,514
How can we find the single power ES1?  I just posted a blog to find how to order the ES1 and was informed
that the compny is MIA.   If we cannot find that in the WTB thread in Head-fi, what is the best available option?

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #53 of 1,514
Youd prefer the SR-X over the BH?!?  Perhaps, if this is indeed a colored phone like DavidMahler heard, this would work... but if the c32 is anywhere close to the level of neutrality others are claiming, I'd definitely go BH

Quote:

Quote:
Dear Arnaud,

Maybe, ES1. In max version (10 000 $ cost). I'm vote for him.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #54 of 1,514
Thanks for the interesting and detailed account of the sound of the new flagship phones.  I currently run O2s via a BHSE amp.  I find it interesting that most listeners consider the O2s to be on the warmer side of neutral.  To me, the biggest negative with these phones (as compared to good speakers, not so much other phones) is that they are a bit too lean and "dry" sounding, and almost sibilant, even with decent tube gear on the front end.  I would actually prefer a warmer sound, not something leaner.  This becomes an even bigger issue with the thin, unpleasant sound of most new popular releases (fortunately, classical releases and jazz still sound decent).

Still, I would love to hear the new phones in my system.  I don't know how one gets to audition phones these days, as few dealers carry anything decent.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #55 of 1,514
Is the sound signature of the C32 more to the colored side like the HE90 (Aristaeus will be a good choice here) or more to  the neutriality
side like the O2 (Blue Hawaii will be a better choice is this scenario).  The single power ES1 willl work for both scenario but is very difficult
to get one.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #56 of 1,514

Quote:
Is the sound signature of the C32 more to the colored side like the HE90 (Aristaeus will be a good choice here) or more to  the neutriality
side like the O2 (Blue Hawaii will be a better choice is this scenario).  The single power ES1 willl work for both scenario but is very difficult
to get one.

My understanding is that the HE-90 is neutral while the O2 is colored.  I heard the O2 and it's certainly not neutral.  It's a dark headphone regardless of any amp issues it may have.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #57 of 1,514

Quote:
Thanks for the interesting and detailed account of the sound of the new flagship phones.  I currently run O2s via a BHSE amp.  I find it interesting that most listeners consider the O2s to be on the warmer side of neutral.  To me, the biggest negative with these phones (as compared to good speakers, not so much other phones) is that they are a bit too lean and "dry" sounding, and almost sibilant, even with decent tube gear on the front end.  I would actually prefer a warmer sound, not something leaner.  This becomes an even bigger issue with the thin, unpleasant sound of most new popular releases (fortunately, classical releases and jazz still sound decent).

Still, I would love to hear the new phones in my system.  I don't know how one gets to audition phones these days, as few dealers carry anything decent.

Is your O2 the MK1 or 2?  The MK2 would be bassier for you. Have you heard the O2 on other amps.  Do you prefer the BHSE?

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #58 of 1,514
Quote:
arnaud,

I enjoy your impression of the new Stax.  Have you tried the HD800 in a balanced configuration?  They sounds much better balanced.  Every aspect of sound improved after I run them with balanced amplification.  SE is very good but not great.

Ironically, I have owned to balanced cables the whole time I had the HD800 with me but never managed to listen in balanced mode, even if only in a store! The original plan was to get a balanced amplifier but I got burned with Rudistor and went cold feet on a Balancing Act pre-order... I eventually gave up on the whole thing...

Now, I am sure the imaging in particular must be improved in balanced mode. However, I would be surprised if it also cleans up that slightly grainy / splashy treble (relative to the 007A and now to the C32) and make it as precise / fine sounding as the best electro-stats. I checked your profile but could not identify the balanced amplifier you're running your HD800 with? I do know there are much better amps than my BCL for the HD800, even considering SE only. For instance, the Luxman P1-U was clearly a step up the ladder (and did lots of good things about that treble issue actually).

I'm using a balanced Headamp Gilmore Reference (equivalent to Headamp GSX at the moment) and the HD800 really shines.  Still I prefer the HE90, R10, and Qualia over it, but the margin is getting very slim.  I cleaned up the harsh treble by upgraded to Apuresound cable in SE, but the balanced amplification really enhance the impact & bass note, and widen the stage as well as making the image more precise.  Seperation of instrutment is also better.  I highly recommended it.  However, I doubt that it will ever be as good as the C32.  The C32 is probably playing in the HE90 & R10's level if not slightly above.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #59 of 1,514

Quote:
Quote:

Is your O2 the MK1 or 2?  The MK2 would be bassier for you. Have you heard the O2 on other amps.  Do you prefer the BHSE?

David - I actually find the bass on the Mk1 to be deeper and more controlled vs the Mk2.  I purchased both and then sold off the Mk2's.  Having said that, I still prefer what I perceive to be the greater transparency of the HE90's and spend most of my timing listening with it via the WES.  I'm hoping to receive a BHSE soon, so maybe that will result in a different conclusion, but the HE90's are dialed in exceptionally well with the WES (and the tubes selected candidly which I found to be the best match for the HE90's).  Looking forward to hearing the c32 on both amps for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back