New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jan 3, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #32 of 1,514
This is a nice review, thanks...arnuad....I think you have already create another tidal wave to the STAX lover's on C32 sound comparison's....a lot of people are going to be hurt ( on their wallet! hee...heee!) including mine soon....need to start another saving account to serve this!!!

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #33 of 1,514

Thanks arnaud for the impressions. I'm not sure I dig for the look of the C32, especially the headband, but I'm pretty sure they will sound fantastic. Hopefully they can keep the price at the south of $4k. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #34 of 1,514
Thanks all for the comments!
Quote:
How did you find the fit? I found the SR007 fit incredibly odd, the headband seemed to slip too far down the back of the head and there were gaps between the fronts of the pads and the face. It wasn't that it was uncomfortable per se... just a little off-putting and unusual.

The C32 looks to have a more traditional fork assembly and a normal stax headband assembly - has this made the fit better with those pads?

Personally, I have no problem with the fit of the 007A so it was easy to adjust to the C32. I tried to show it in the pictures: their ear pads seem to be about the same shape and size in the C32 except they don't rotate. I actually like that better because I don't see much a point to be able to rotate the pads (we all have a jaw as far as I know...).

The one thing that seems different with the new design is the foam may be softer so I think there is less chance of a gap like you mention. 

While I am at it, I forgot to mention that I had to remove my glasses to get best bass, just like the 007A. So, you still need to make sure the fit is good with the C32...

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe STAX will suprise everyone and price this and its new tube amplifier as a 2000 dollar combo? 

... Just kidding :) Nice impressions though! If only I could afford it.

Yeah, right. What would be nice is a new statement amplifier from them though. I don't think they'll ever do another T2, but neither of their current top amps are really suited to the C32.

From discussion with a Stax representative at the Tokyo Fall headphone festival, there was a plan for releasing a new flagship amplifier to match the C32. However, he said it would come later on. My personal guess is no earlier than xmas 2011. Also, Stax might be using the 50th anniversary of the company for the naming of these new products.

Quote:
After reading this aritcal, will definitely get a C32 once it is released.

Saving up money....Probably have to pay over $6000 lol.

Stax said in 300-500kJPY range. Personal guess again: 400-450kJPY.
Quote:
I notice the C32 has a pinwheel-esque arrangement, like you'd find in the original SR-Omega. Do you have any experience with this headphone, arnaud? In some of the pictures the pinwheel looks odd, I'm not sure what I am seeing, is the mesh frame rounded off sooner than the "007A"?

PS I like that Emilianna track as well. Love in the Time of Science is still my preferred album though

I wish I had experience with the original Omega, but I don't, never even seen it in person... Sorry about that! I could not understand what you meant about the mesh frame. If you mean that open area of the frame seems larger in C32 than 007A, then definitely so.

Quote:
Thanks for the great review. Would you say it is more comfortable than the current O2  ( 007a)  as far as how it feels on the ears?
I owned the current Omega 2s for 7 years and never got used to them.
The ear opening was too small and there was insufficient padding and it
always felt like it was something hard pressing my ears down.

I did like the you-are-there sound though.
Thanks again.

I do feel it is more comfortable than the current O2 as mentioned at the beginning. But it's quite similar fit, so if you don't like the O2, you may still have issues with this one.

Quote:
Natural an neutral aside, which do you think was most exciting/engaging to listen to, the C32 or the HD 800?

I did not compare the HD800 to the C32 directly, but below is a comparison between the HD800 (driven by Lehmann BCL) and the Omega 2 (driven by 727A). Original post is here: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/223263/the-stax-thread-new/13200#post_6613053

Quote:
But this time, I realized how much Stax got it right... While the HD800 was sounding really excellent through the p1u, the Stax Omega was simply so much more natural / realistic / pleasant / attractive when fed by the SRM-727a amp. In particular, the 3D layer is so much more precise as well as total lack of graininess of the highs. The cymbals shimmer through the Omega 2 is no match for the HD800 when fed by the p1u, I was shocked.

At the end of the day, I actually placed an order for the SR-007a / SRM-727a setup, I am now joining club Stax after so many years of being a hardcore dynamic headphone guy, what a shock! For sure, I am keeping my HD800 and Lehman amplifier though. The Stax combo works best with Jazz / Classical / "soft" music but I am pretty sure I will want to listen to my HD800 at times I want punch over delicacy. As for my Edition 9, it may be time to go...

I have since sold both my HD800 and Edition 9 headphones, I am Stax junkie now... Suffice to say, I can't imagine preferring the HD800 to C32, anytime of the day, anyday... 

Quote:
Thanks for the review.  Comparisons are always the most informative ways of defining such products.

I have previously felt that the 007A has its weaknesses.  There are both lower bass and mid treble peaks although these are less pronounced with the Spritzer spring mod.  I have also been somewhat unhappy with the soundstage of the 007A http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476891/does-anyone-else-think-the-stax-007-has-a-constricted-soundstage and a number of people agreed with me on that score.  Part of that problem came about  I thought  because of  the size and shape of the chamber behind the drivers of the 007A.  I was able to simulate both the somewhat boomy bass and the restricted soundstage of the 007A in a Lambda, by the simply matter of creating a similar chamber in the back of the Lambda case, using tape.  I can't tell for sure from looking at the pictures  but it looks like the overhanging lip of the 007A has been done away with and the driver looks closer to the outside grill.  Both are factors that I would consider significant in improving the sound of this general type of headphone configuration.

If these new phones sound better even with the Stax 727A that may be  good news, because that amp has not been too highly regarded here compared to the older 717.  Possibly the new phones are easier to drive.  Of  course the test will be when it comes to the TOL amps like the BHSE and T2.

Thank you for linking back to that thread, it was and still is an excellent read! I think you make very good points and could very well be right about the influence of the O2 chamber on its sound signature. Spritzer mentioned the Stax earspeakers are dipole type transducers, but it does not prevent it from being significantly affected by the geometry / reflections of the rear chamber. And most likely, a partly covered back may yield a closed-in sound and possibly nasal colorations, although this is nowhere near as bad as many closed headphone designs.

In this thread you link, some proper vocabulary is used and I absolutely share the impressions of many: while the O2 does sound a bit closed in (what I meant by narrow soundstage), it's imaging (i.e. the accurate / pinpoint localization of instruments in the space) is as good as I have heard from headphone. I personally have no issue with the slight "closed in" / in your head feeling of the Omega 2 as I value depth of sound field / localization / room ambience more than wide soundstage. However, the C32 is clearly better than 007A at portraying a large soundstage, while being just as good if not better than 007A at imaging.

Quote:
Based on photos alone, I find the Omega 2 to be more attractive, but I understand that the C32 are still pre-production.

Is there any month planned for the release of these?  I spoke to a few people who have had the pleasure of hearing it and have been told that it surpasses or equals the HE-90 (Orpheus) in a similar signature.

It's very exciting, but I really hope that Stax keeps the price lower than higher since more people will be able to own one.

See above comment for the price. Fujiya Avic staff (very friendly by the way as they let me monopolize their headphone rig for over an hour and a half!!) could not tell me anything about the price or release date. However, they are expecting it in the spring. That means as early as March! But could also be toward April May...

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #35 of 1,514
I feel for the guy/gal who have been saving for ages to buy the 007A and just purchased them a week ago. Ouch...especially after hearing this positive impression on the C32.

Should be seeing some used 007A's popping up for sale real soon.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #36 of 1,514

The dollar dropped to under 82 yen today. Bummer!  Three years ago it was over 120!  Future doesn't look positive. You Europeans are going to have to pick up the slack if there's going to be a market for these. 

Aside from the cost, looks real intesting. Reminds me  of the original Omega, which I've  heard briefly and thought superior to the O2.

Jan 4, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #37 of 1,514
At last! Thank you for the review!
I like that you find the new staxes faster and with more kick/impact (a thing that really misses me with 727II and not at all with the KGSS) than 007mk2. But I love the neutral/warm sound of my 007mk2 and I don't want to trade it's musicality for neutrality.
And the thing that worried me most: when I read about headphones that are "not forgiving" often it means they have problems with reproduction of the higher frequencies which are the real problem of the redbook (not DSD/SACD or analog) recordings and sound unnatural and harsh with some headphones/speakers. What do you mean when you say "not forgiving"?

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:00 AM Post #38 of 1,514
Great review and photos, thanks for that 
smile.gif

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:05 AM Post #39 of 1,514

Quote:

The dollar dropped to under 82 yen today. Bummer!  Three years ago it was over 120!  Future doesn't look positive. You Europeans are going to have to pick up the slack if there's going to be a market for these. 

Aside from the cost, looks real intesting. Reminds me  of the original Omega, which I've  heard briefly and thought superior to the O2.

You ain't seen anything yet.  Our leadership in its wisdom just added 20% to our monetary supply.  Time to trade my wallet in for a wheelbarrow.  So $8k+ for these would be hard to swallow.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #40 of 1,514

Quote:
I feel for the guy/gal who have been saving for ages to buy the 007A and just purchased them a week ago. Ouch...especially after hearing this positive impression on the C32.

I have been told by Stax this is a new product, not a replacement for the 007A. It also will most likely be double its cost. Although some will have the funding for C32, many will stay happy with the more affordable Omega 2. I imagine though that Omega 2 owners who plan on upgrading will be selling their existing gear to help alleviate the burden on the wallet, so you may be right about the Omega 2 festa in FS forum :wink:.

Quote:

Yes indeed, I can't imagine this costing much less than 6kUSD in the current exchange rate. That's getting pretty insane for a headphone!! Optimistically, Stax will have found a way to reduce manufacturing cost for the new diaphragm and also understand that Japan may not be their biggest market in the current economy and price the headphone accordingly. Ahhh, the power of wishful thinking!

Quote:
At last! Thank you for the review!
I like that you find the new staxes faster and with more kick/impact (a thing that really misses me with 727II and not at all with the KGSS) than 007mk2. But I love the neutral/warm sound of my 007mk2 and I don't want to trade it's musicality for neutrality.
And the thing that worried me most: when I read about headphones that are "not forgiving" often it means they have problems with reproduction of the higher frequencies which are the real problem of the redbook (not DSD/SACD or analog) recordings and sound unnatural and harsh with some headphones/speakers. What do you mean when you say "not forgiving"?

On this part, I have stated on purpose that one would need to listen to the headphone with a better source. I am not familiar at all with the Marantz SA7003. But from what I heard yesterday, I could imagine having a bit of listening fatigue if you were to have many poor quality recordings and happen to listen loud or for long time in a raw.
Basically, the C32 is clearly brighter sounding than the 007A (I should say more neutral sounding and remember, this is with the 727A). So may not do as good a job at hiding the glaring treble of some older CDs for instance. Having said that, I have an issue with upper frequency energy in the K2HD version of "We Get Requests" (listened sample 6) when using the 007A, but the C32 magically sounds brighter yet also smoother! Actually, the 007A sounds grainy (or metallic, not sure how to describe this coloration. But something unpleasant) in comparison. 

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #41 of 1,514
I forgot to thank you for the recommendation, I did not realize I was missing 1 recording from her! I have placed the order :wink:

Quote:
PS I like that Emilianna track as well. Love in the Time of Science is still my preferred album though

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #42 of 1,514

Quote:
I forgot to thank you for the recommendation, I did not realize I was missing 1 recording from her! I have placed the order :wink:

Quote:

The texture on Tuna Fish on Love in the Time of Science is sublime

Hope you enjoy it!

For reference, you can use discogs.com to check out all the albums from artists (and similar artists). They also have a very good used marketplace.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #43 of 1,514
arnaud,

I enjoy your impression of the new Stax.  Have you tried the HD800 in a balanced configuration?  They sounds much better balanced.  Every aspect of sound improved after I run them with balanced amplification.  SE is very good but not great.

Jan 4, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #44 of 1,514

Quote:
Quote:

I have been told by Stax this is a new product, not a replacement for the 007A. It also will most likely be double its cost. Although some will have the funding for C32, many will stay happy with the more affordable Omega 2. I imagine though that Omega 2 owners who plan on upgrading will be selling their existing gear to help alleviate the burden on the wallet, so you may be right about the Omega 2 festa in FS forum :wink:.

I did have that thought in mind. Got the new set of SR-007A last week but I might let go some dynamic stuffs to fund for the C32s if they are indeed greater than the 007A.

Do you happen to know if there are different versions, like domestic and export?

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #45 of 1,514
Oh crud. LoL

I heard the Orpheus with the El Doug's Woo amp and it was special. To think that this flagship Stax could rival that headphone will only be a source of frustration since building a proper setup around it is bound to run over $10k for the headphone/amp/source/DAC. If I want to get the absolute best out of them that is. I'll just wipe this thread from my memory. LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back