New listening impressions of Stax C32 prototype and Shipping SR-009
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #16 of 1,514
Jan 3, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #17 of 1,514
Nearly 300.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #19 of 1,514
Will definitely get one once it is released.

I suppose it would not be more expensive than 450,000Yen which is still affordable by mine.

Hope Stax would not do something that lead it to the edge of bankrupt again...

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #20 of 1,514
Thanks for the review.  Comparisons are always the most informative ways of defining such products.

I have previously felt that the 007A has its weaknesses.  There are both lower bass and mid treble peaks although these are less pronounced with the Spritzer spring mod.  I have also been somewhat unhappy with the soundstage of the 007A http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476891/does-anyone-else-think-the-stax-007-has-a-constricted-soundstage and a number of people agreed with me on that score.  Part of that problem came about  I thought  because of  the size and shape of the chamber behind the drivers of the 007A.  I was able to simulate both the somewhat boomy bass and the restricted soundstage of the 007A in a Lambda, by the simply matter of creating a similar chamber in the back of the Lambda case, using tape.  I can't tell for sure from looking at the pictures  but it looks like the overhanging lip of the 007A has been done away with and the driver looks closer to the outside grill.  Both are factors that I would consider significant in improving the sound of this general type of headphone configuration.

If these new phones sound better even with the Stax 727A that may be  good news, because that amp has not been too highly regarded here compared to the older 717.  Possibly the new phones are easier to drive.  Of  course the test will be when it comes to the TOL amps like the BHSE and T2.

Jan 3, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #21 of 1,514

Quote:
Will definitely get one once it is released.

I suppose it would not be more expensive than 450,000Yen which is still affordable by mine.

Hope Stax would not do something that lead it to the edge of bankrupt again...

New Stax' focus has been on headphones only for 15 years now. Old Stax had a very varied and top line product list, but at such a premium cost that I suspect few were sold and much finance was eaten up in R & D. Condenser cartridge with its own equaliser? FM cartridge with its own receiver? Massive monoblock amplifiers? TOTL DAC? Horn loaded electrostatics (planned only just before Old Stax went down)? Carbon fibre unipivot tonearms? 2 box preamps? You name 'em, Stax made 'em, as well as their electrostatic headphones and headphone amplifiers.

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #22 of 1,514
Those drivers sure do look a heck of a lot like the omega... I can't wait for a proper comparison of those two headphones

Jan 3, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #23 of 1,514

Quote:
New Stax' focus has been on headphones only for 15 years now. Old Stax had a very varied and top line product list, but at such a premium cost that I suspect few were sold and much finance was eaten up in R & D. Condenser cartridge with its own equaliser? FM cartridge with its own receiver? Massive monoblock amplifiers? TOTL DAC? Horn loaded electrostatics (planned only just before Old Stax went down)? Carbon fibre unipivot tonearms? 2 box preamps? You name 'em, Stax made 'em, as well as their electrostatic headphones and headphone amplifiers.

Stax shouldn't try to be a full line company like MBL or Burmester, but I think they need to step up their headphone amp game a bit. The SRM-007 isn't good enough, and it seems like the 727 has potential, but the execution was botched. I'm not saying they need to do another monster, but something better than the KGSS and more affordable than the BHSE and WES would be nice.

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:54 PM Post #28 of 1,514
Based on photos alone, I find the Omega 2 to be more attractive, but I understand that the C32 are still pre-production.

Is there any month planned for the release of these?  I spoke to a few people who have had the pleasure of hearing it and have been told that it surpasses or equals the HE-90 (Orpheus) in a similar signature.

It's very exciting, but I really hope that Stax keeps the price lower than higher since more people will be able to own one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back