New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #901 of 2,354
Just bought the UHA-6SMKII few mins ago with default AD8610ARZ. 
popcorn.gif
  I felt sorry for my wallet

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #902 of 2,354
If you guys think the DAC is lacking then can you recommend a different op amp to put inside? Is it possible to put in a Sabre?

Also it would be interesting to know if any of you blind test since the differences between DACs is reported to be so small.

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #903 of 2,354
You can't swap DACs the way you can swap op-amps in some designs. You certainly can use an external DAC of your choosing.

There are several modestly priced options for Sabre-based boards out there, including the UD100, Hifimediy USB Saber DAC, and cased or uncased ODAC. There are options that continue up from there in price as well.

(Here is a Google-translated discussion of the Hifimediy)

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #904 of 2,354
Quote:
If you really need to save money on a particular piece of gear, wait for somebody to sell theirs used.

Agreed; most of the amps & cans in my sig are used. Even the Crystal Piccolino...
L3000.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #906 of 2,354
Quote:
There is only one user sold his UHA-6S MKII within a week(which is fast). 

Might have been to me 'cause I bought mine off Head-Fi
wink.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #907 of 2,354
Quote:
If you guys think the DAC is lacking then can you recommend a different op amp to put inside? Is it possible to put in a Sabre?
Also it would be interesting to know if any of you blind test since the differences between DACs is reported to be so small.

Op Amp is not the same as a DAC. Both can and will have an influence on the amps sound signature though. What you can do is buy a separate DAC and reap the benefits of the UHA6's amp section and a good quality DAC. The DACport LX is one of the best values to performance IMO. Especially now since the price has gone down on it again. It was $350.00 when it first released. I got mine on the release sale though for $300.00 and it is one of the best audio purchases I've made. It has managed to stay with me the longest out of all my gear. The price is now $250.00

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #908 of 2,354
Op Amp is not the same as a DAC. Both can and will have an influence on the amps sound signature though. What you can do is buy a separate DAC and reap the benefits of the UHA6's amp section and a good quality DAC. The DACport LX is one of the best values to performance IMO. Especially now since the price has gone down on it again. It was $350.00 when it first released. I got mine on the release sale though for $300.00 and it is one of the best audio purchases I've made. It has managed to stay with me the longest out of all my gear. The price is now $250.00

Do you know how to compare the DACport LX with the Xonar STX?
This may be an strange comparison, but right now my best dac is from the STX, so, anyway, it's my reference point.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #909 of 2,354
Quote:
Do you know how to compare the DACport LX with the Xonar STX?
This may be an strange comparison, but right now my best dac is from the STX, so, anyway, it's my reference point.

Sorry I don't have the Xonar so I wouldn't know. I can say though that my Creative Xi-Fi Titanium Card is a joke in comparison to my DACport LX. They are not even comparable. Technically I still find my DACport paired with my Triad L3 to be better than my DX100 combo. It's a more dynamic and resolving sound. I'm sure the sabre DAC is capable of more however with the right implementation. The DACport also has an advantage as it's Class A. It runs hot constantly.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #910 of 2,354
Sorry I don't have the Xonar so I wouldn't know. I can say though that my Creative Xi-Fi Titanium Card is a joke in comparison to my DACport LX. They are not even comparable. Technically I still find my DACport paired with my Triad L3 to be better than my DX100 combo. It's a more dynamic and resolving sound. I'm sure the sabre DAC is capable of more however with the right implementation. The DACport also has an advantage as it's Class A. It runs hot constantly.

Isn't the CX an dac+class A amp?
As far as I could read, the LX was only a dac+lineout

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM Post #911 of 2,354
Quote:
Isn't the CX an dac+class A amp?
As far as I could read, the LX was only a dac+lineout

The DACport has Class A power rating. It runs hot just like the DACport. Just it doesn't have the amp section and volume control the DACport has (the amp section is the DACports weakness). You lose transparency/resolving power on the Dacport compared to the Dacport LX.

Nov 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #912 of 2,354
Since the subject has changed over to what DAc to pair with the MK II the following concerning the new CLAS is a rather depressing read. If I keep seeing early impressions like that I'll probably forget the CLAS plan.

Quote:dj nellie
After spending a few days listening to my -dB, using the single-ended output to my MK3 and Pico Slim and with the Ed. 8, DT1350, and UERM, I have some initial impressions.  The first is that the -dB seems to have a darker, warmer sound signature than the original CLAS.  Whether that's due to a change in tonal balance, or whether the -dB is actually hazy and veiled in comparison to the CLAS, I can't really say without having the CLAS in front of me.  But I owned the CLAS for about 18 months and I think I remember its sound pretty well.

The lowered gain is definitely a big plus for me, as it minimizes the amount of hiss that the MK3 produces and allows for more usable positions on the volume dial with sensitive headphones.  But I'm somewhat underwhelmed with the sound of the -dB.  It just doesn't feel as crisp, transparent and neutral as I remember the CLAS sounding.  But I suppose if you found the CLAS to sound a bit harsh or anemic, then the -dB could be seen as more natural and rich.  I'm finding the sound slightly dull, but maybe it will grow on me.

I'm interested to see if (and how) the sound might change in balanced output mode, once the "fixed" -dBs become available.

Nov 23, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #914 of 2,354
Quote:
After you placed the order, what do you do? Waiting for the tracking#? I haven't get any messages from Leckerton Audio yet.

You should receive an order received email soon. Check your spam folder for whatever reason a lot of Nicks emails wind up in everyone's spam folder

Users who are viewing this thread

Back