New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #932 of 2,354
Quote:

That is great. Thanks a ton. I'll order this asap. 
smile.gif

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #934 of 2,354
Quote:
Does the Leckerton have capacitors in it?  I can't see any in the pictures.

What's the voltage supply to the op-amps?  Does it use a doubler?

kiteki if you message Nick on the Leckerton site I'm sure he'll answer all your questions concerning the inner workings of the MK II

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #935 of 2,354
kiteki if you message Nick on the Leckerton site I'm sure he'll answer all your questions concerning the inner workings of the MK II

Thanks, he didn't last time =/, which is why I skipped the UHA-4 w/OPA627 and this company as a whole lol... but now I'm seeing greener pastures.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #936 of 2,354
Quote:

Thanks, he didn't last time =/, which is why I skipped the UHA-4 w/OPA627 and this company as a whole lol... but now I'm seeing greener pastures.

Kiteki he wouldn't purposely ignore you. That is not Nick at all. Try go to his website again and ask a question. If anything his mail may have gone to your spam mail which has happened to quite a few people already.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #937 of 2,354
Hey Lee or others:   For those with the Studio V/uha4 combo and looking to upgrade in amps, not dacs,  would you overall recommend the MKII with its opamp options or the Tralucent T1?   Apparently the synergy of the DX100/T1 and your IEM's is very good, how is the synergy of the V/MKII(and various op amps)  compared to the V/T1 with your IEM's?   Is the T1 op amp similar to the 8610? 

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #938 of 2,354
Hi all,
I am seriously close to pulling the trigger on one of these. I was originally shopping for just an amp then came across this..BTW thanks to Digital Freak for answering a couple questions via PM

So I wasn't looking for something with a DAC, but if I get this I have a couple questions, I have read about 30 pages through this thread but ...uugh kinda just want to ask a couple questions, since I have never used an amp with DAC before. My DAP's are 5.5 gen iPod via LOD and a Clip zip, both rockboxed. I am planning soon to do the DIY imod on the iPod

1) As far as the amp section only, is this a better unit than the JDS C421? (w/8260) It is the other amp I am considering. 90% of my use will be as an amp only. THe JDS has the bonus of being a bit cheaper. I am probably going to get a biased answer on this thread, but worth asking for anyone who has tried both. 

2) I do not have a DAP with digital out (who does? there are a few around - I don't have one) If I understand correctly, if I run my Foobar2000 as player on my laptop out via USB to this unit, I will bypass my crappy computer guts and use the DAC in the Leckerton at a max of 16/48.....and for another optional home setup, If my bluray player can output 24/96 PCM audio files over optical, I can get real 24/96 through the DAC/AMP on this unit. Correct? please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks a bunch for answers, I am real close to buying, just want to make sure the extra expenditure over the C421 is worth it to me.

Nov 25, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #939 of 2,354

I'm in the same situation. Nick didn't reply me last time whe I contacted him at the Leckerton Audio website.
Lee, how can u contact him directly? I have feeling that he didn't receive our emails.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #940 of 2,354
Quote:
1) As far as the amp section only, is this a better unit than the JDS C421? (w/8260) It is the other amp I am considering. 90% of my use will be as an amp only. THe JDS has the bonus of being a bit cheaper. I am probably going to get a biased answer on this thread, but worth asking for anyone who has tried both. 

2) I do not have a DAP with digital out (who does? there are a few around - I don't have one) If I understand correctly, if I run my Foobar2000 as player on my laptop out via USB to this unit, I will bypass my crappy computer guts and use the DAC in the Leckerton at a max of 16/48.....and for another optional home setup, If my bluray player can output 24/96 PCM audio files over optical, I can get real 24/96 through the DAC/AMP on this unit. Correct? please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I remember, you're also getting an Heir IEM...

I can confirm that iPod Video -> UHA-6 series -> Heir 4.A is an excellent combination. It's one of my regular portable listening setups. (I have a 5g rather than a 5.5g, but the boards are effectively identical if we get down to the hair-splitting details). 

Can't answer item 1, since I've never heard JDS's products. As for item 2, yes, you are correct: USB is limited to 16/48, optical and coax can go higher. If you have a laptop with optical out (some do, through the headphone jack: Check your owner's manual) you can get the higher bit rate that way.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #941 of 2,354
Quote:

As I remember, you're also getting an Heir IEM...

I can confirm that iPod Video -> UHA-6 series -> Heir 4.A is an excellent combination. It's one of my regular portable listening setups. (I have a 5g rather than a 5.5g, but the boards are effectively identical if we get down to the hair-splitting details). 

Can't answer item 1, since I've never heard JDS's products. As for item 2, yes, you are correct: USB is limited to 16/48, optical and coax can go higher. If you have a laptop with optical out (some do, through the headphone jack: Check your owner's manual) you can get the higher bit rate that way.

Thank you for the response. It's good to know that I do have some (non-portable) options for using the DAC section, so it isn't a complete waste to me. And yes, I currently have the Heir 3.Ai and 4.Ai universals, and just took advantage of their recent promotions to get a 4.A and 8.A CIEM ordered. Should be a pretty good setup altogether once the customs come in..
Thanks again

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #942 of 2,354
Quote:
Hey Lee or others:   For those with the Studio V/uha4 combo and looking to upgrade in amps, not dacs,  would you overall recommend the MKII with its opamp options or the Tralucent T1?   Apparently the synergy of the DX100/T1 and your IEM's is very good, how is the synergy of the V/MKII(and various op amps)  compared to the V/T1 with your IEM's?   Is the T1 op amp similar to the 8610? 

For me personally I find the T1 to be better for portability with my DX100 even over the UHA6 MKII. Now if I was to be at my desktop I would prefer the UHA6 (at least synergy wise) also due to the volume pot having more headroom for bit for bit music playback. But other than that the T1 IMO. I'm actually on the fence about selling my Leckerton at this point.... I just don't use it enough to warrant keeping it. Before it was relegated to my desktop but my Triad has since "thrown it off the Pali" :wink:

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #943 of 2,354
Quote:
I'm in the same situation. Nick didn't reply me last time whe I contacted him at the Leckerton Audio website.
Lee, how can u contact him directly? I have feeling that he didn't receive our emails.

Through his website is generally how you can contact him. Try check your spam folder. Hes emails may have gone there. I can try contact him and see if he got your emails. Most of the time when I do this he tells me he already responded to your emails. Not pointing at you but for others who have had this issue before. Check your spam mail. It's also Sunday so give him til Monday at least.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #944 of 2,354
Quote:
For me personally I find the T1 to be better for portability with my DX100 even over the UHA6 MKII. Now if I was to be at my desktop I would prefer the UHA6 (at least synergy wise) also due to the volume pot having more headroom for bit for bit music playback. But other than that the T1 IMO. I'm actually on the fence about selling my Leckerton at this point.... I just don't use it enough to warrant keeping it. Before it was relegated to my desktop but my Triad has since "thrown it off the Pali" :wink:

I never knew you had a Triad L3. When did you get your hands on that?

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #945 of 2,354
Quote:
I never knew you had a Triad L3. When did you get your hands on that?

I've had it for some time DigitalFreak. Well over a month now. Yeah it's definitely set the bar really high. I just don't see it getting any better for IEMs with this amp. You just need to make sure to have a good PSU or you aren't getting the full potential of this amp. You haven't heard the full power of the dynamic range until you have heard this amp. Especially when burned in properly. Just WOW. It's like listening to all my music again for the first time. A huge step up IMO. Getting the dynamic range right is the hardest thing for your audio gear to achieve and this amp does it in spades. On other amps you'll notice the compression in comparison. Just makes them sound lifeless and dull in comparison (you are made to feel something is missing from the music).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back