New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 22, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #886 of 2,354
Quote:
I know about his day job and I certainly wish and want to believe that that is true. However, it really leaves much to be desired when compared to other DACs out there at the similar price range. I felt that 90% of his effort went into the headamp section and only the remaining went into the DAC stage.
The amp could hold its feet against other amps of much higher price but the DAC cannot even hold its feet against other DAC of its price.

100% agree :wink:. To think his DAC is up there with the better offering is just plane old wrong. I'd be very upset if I was stuck with this as my only DAC. Because there is better out there and even in the $250.00 range, much better. But that has nothing to do with the amp section. The UHA6 MKII amp section is much, much better than it's DAC. If anything the DAC is holding back the true performance of the amp.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #887 of 2,354
Quote:
But it is what it is and I call it as I see it, or rather hear it. 

That's what I said - subjectively DACs will agree with listeners or not. I don't know that this is synonymous with the objective quality of the DAC and its implementation, so much as listener preference.

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #888 of 2,354
Quote:

That's what I said - subjectively DACs will agree with listeners or not. I don't know that this is synonymous with the objective quality of the DAC and its implementation, so much as listener preference.

True. But if we purely go from that perspective then a Sansa Clip should sound just as good as a DX100. You see where I'm going with this? :).

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #889 of 2,354
Quote:
True. But if we purely go from that perspective then a Sansa Clip should sound just as good as a DX100. You see where I'm going with this? :).

That argument only holds up if everything else besides the DAC is equal. I don't think an argument resting on that crux is sound.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #890 of 2,354
Quote:
I'd be very upset if I was stuck with this as my only DAC. Because there is better out there and even in the $250.00 range, much better.

I find it works just fine and capable as a DAC/AMP. Not the best, but sufficiently good  enough that I won't feel upset or shortchanged. I did use it on its on many times on my Mac as a DAC/AMP even though I have much better options around me.

At USD279, if I were to attribute USD200 to its amp section, what more shall I say for its USD79 DAC section? Either way, it is superbly value for money =)

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #891 of 2,354
Quote:

I find it works just fine and capable as a DAC/AMP. Not the best, but sufficiently good  enough that I won't feel upset or shortchanged. I did use it on its on many times on my Mac as a DAC/AMP even though I have much better options around me.

At USD279, if I were to attribute USD200 to its amp section, what more shall I say for its USD79 DAC section? Either way, it is superbly value for money =)

Exactly. Considering just the amp section alone $279 is a great deal for what you get. I bought the UHA6 for its amp. DAC is just icing on the cake. I felt the same way about the UHA4 as well. If I was in a pinch I could see myself using it as an Amp/DAC combo. Thankfully I'm never in such a predicament...
tongue.gif

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:12 AM Post #892 of 2,354
Does anyone have a pic or a link to buying a DIP extractor tool? I just dug out of the storm Sandy and received my Op-Amps at the post office. The folks at our local Radio Shack are clueless.

Nov 22, 2012 at 6:55 AM Post #894 of 2,354
Quote:
[size=small]especially given that I listen to 320Kbps MP3's. [/size]

I apologize for this being OT - but could you possibly tell me (or direct me to the proper Forum) how to convert these files so they play on an iPhone 4s? I really want to get into HD Downloads and feel I have the rig(s) to be able to appreciate them, just DNK how to do it. 
confused_face_2.gif

The one freebie DL I had from them didn't even show up in my iTunes...
confused_face.gif

TIA! 
gs1000.gif

Happy T-Giv

Nov 22, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #895 of 2,354
Quote:
I apologize for this being OT - but could you possibly tell me (or direct me to the proper Forum) how to convert these files so they play on an iPhone 4s? I really want to get into HD Downloads and feel I have the rig(s) to be able to appreciate them, just DNK how to do it. 
confused_face_2.gif

The one freebie DL I had from them didn't even show up in my iTunes...
confused_face.gif

TIA! 
gs1000.gif

Happy T-Giv

Check your PM.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #899 of 2,354
Quote:
Yeah, some small audio shops will do it, but most cottage industry businesses have inventories and margins that are too small for blowout sales. If you really need to save money on a particular piece of gear, wait for somebody to sell theirs used.

Well, I understand that the price is already fair enough. If Nick didn't put any special sales on his product, I will still going to buy it
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back