New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Nov 20, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #856 of 2,354
Quote:
You sure can :). At least how I hear it is the DAC in the UHA6 MKII is a bit edgy and unrefined. Kinda harsh sounding in comparison. For me that means fatigue and a much less enjoyable experience.

At least is it good enough as an dac/amp combo for me to bother latter to get a dedicated dac?
 I would be using the dac section with both my laptop and the desktop at work, but not at home. I just wanted something that, as a whole, sounded better than my e7, and if possibly, better than an e17.

I already understood that the amp is really great, I just wanted to the dac not to be a deal-breaker, since I would be using it afterall.

Nov 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #857 of 2,354
Quote:
 At least is it good enough as an dac/amp combo for me to bother latter to get a dedicated dac?
 I would be using the dac section with both my laptop and the desktop at work, but not at home. I just wanted something that, as a whole, sounded better than my e7, and if possibly, better than an e17.

I already understood that the amp is really great, I just wanted to the dac not to be a deal-breaker, since I would be using it afterall.

Well it is most definitely better than the E7 DAC. I'd say its a big step up from that. I haven't heard the E17 so I can't really fairly comment on that but I wouldn't be surprised if it's DAC section is still better than the E17s. The UHA6 uses Cirrus Logics Flagship DAC chip FWIW. Just there is better out there. But at the same time depending on what headphones or IEMs you are listening to that is another potential weak link in the chain. So YMWV. :)

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #858 of 2,354
Quote:

Well it is most definitely better than the E7 DAC. I'd say its a big step up from that. I haven't heard the E17 so I can't really fairly comment on that but I wouldn't be surprised if it's DAC section is still better than the E17s. The UHA6 uses Cirrus Logics Flagship DAC chip FWIW. Just there is better out there. But at the same time depending on what headphones or IEMs you are listening to that is another potential weak link in the chain. So YMWV. :)

Most of the time they would be paired with iems ( Ety HF5, W4r, B2), and sometimes with either a DT880-250/AKG k550, or maybe in a possible future with mr. Speaker MadDogs. Still, when I'm out of home, would be with iems, I'm not used to carry fullsized headphones on my backpack.

As a future plan, something like an ODAC would be a nice pair for the UHS-6S mkii (what an awfully long name, I get tired of typing each and every time I need to refer to it ¬¬, someone should invent a shorter nickname....)

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #859 of 2,354
Quote:

Most of the time they would be paired with iems ( Ety HF5, W4r, B2), and sometimes with either a DT880-250/AKG k550, or maybe in a possible future with mr. Speaker MadDogs. Still, when I'm out of home, would be with iems, I'm not used to carry fullsized headphones on my backpack.

As a future plan, something like an ODAC would be a nice pair for the UHS-6S mkii (what an awfully long name, I get tired of typing each and every time I need to refer to it ¬¬, someone should invent a shorter nickname....)

I'd say if you plan on upgrading your DAC go for an upgrade over a side grade (I think it's good to have a clear upgrade which in the long run means saving money). The ODAC seems more like a side grade opposed to an actual upgrade. My DACport LX has staying power. I haven't been tempted to sell it yet and it's been over a year. Eventually though I want to get the D2 DAC (quite a bit pricy and a big upgrade IMO instead of a side grade purchase).

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #860 of 2,354
Quote:
I'd say if you plan on upgrading your DAC go for an upgrade over a side grade (I think it's good to have a clear upgrade which in the long run means saving money). The ODAC seems more like a side grade opposed to an actual upgrade. My DACport LX has staying power. I haven't been tempted to sell it yet and it's been over a year. Eventually though I want to get the D2 DAC (quite a bit pricy and a big upgrade IMO instead of a side grade purchase).

http://www.anedio.com/index.php/product/d2_overview

This one?

Well, certanly over my budget and not for the purpose I asked(I was thinking when I asked that for a portable dac to pair with UHA-6S mkii portably, in the case). If I have to go at least over US$ 300 to get an upgrade for the leckerton's dac, I think for now I'll stay with it.

As for desktop dac, I was thinking a bit about getting an upgrade for my Xonar STX, but right now I'm not sure anymore, but let's not highjack the thread, this is a great thread as it is.

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #861 of 2,354
Quote:

This one?

Well, certanly over my budget and not for the purpose I asked(I was thinking when I asked that for a portable dac to pair with UHA-6S mkii portably, in the case). If I have to go at least over US$ 300 to get an upgrade for the leckerton's dac, I think for now I'll stay with it.

As for desktop dac, I was thinking a bit about getting an upgrade for my Xonar STX, but right now I'm not sure anymore, but let's not highjack the thread, this is a great thread as it is.

i was thinking to get it as an upgrade to my S3's dac.which altho is not the best dac im sure its better than a mobile offering

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #862 of 2,354

The D2 DAC has a headphone amp too? So it's both and can be used without additional equipment?

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #864 of 2,354
Quote:

This one?

Yes that is what I am talking about for an upgrade for me lol. I had mentioned the DACport LX which I would see as a clear upgrade and a great value for the sound quality you get. It's also gone down in price since the release of their new M8 product. It's $250.00 now (originally $350.00 TMK).

http://www.centrance.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16163

Nov 20, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #865 of 2,354
Quote:
The D2 DAC has a headphone amp too? So it's both and can be used without additional equipment?

Yes it can. But is also has inputs. I want to test it out purely as a DAC with my Triad. If it sounds even better with this means then I'll just stick with that combo together :).

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #866 of 2,354
Eva came in today. I'm starting to see or rather hear what all the fuss was about. The amp section is definitely more clear and clean then it's little sister Sally. I'm going to try some op amp rolling with her this weekend. I'm rather put off how Nick sent the extra op amps. I have the other two sets of extra op amps in one box and have no idea which op amp is which. I'm hoping I'll recognize the 8610 when I hear it. I definitely need to find a better storage solution now.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #867 of 2,354
Quote:
Eva came in today. I'm starting to see or rather hear what all the fuss was about. The amp section is definitely more clear and clean then it's little sister Sally. I'm going to try some op amp rolling with her this weekend. I'm rather put off how Nick sent the extra op amps. I have the other two sets of extra op amps in one box and have no idea which op amp is which. I'm hoping I'll recognize the 8610 when I hear it. I definitely need to find a better storage solution now.

lol look on the chip. The writing is in very small print. It will say 8610 on them. Or whatever. Don't mix the chips up you don't want to short something out. Use magnifying glasses or your glasses if you can't make out the small print on the black chips :wink:. If you didn't request for a certain OP Amp to be standard in your Amp 8610 will already be in your amp. He puts that in standard once again.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #868 of 2,354
Dude, I was barely able to make out the square solder mark in the corner never mind trying to read the microscopic print on a black background. This weekend I'm scrounging around the stores for a magnifying glass. Eva seems to be one demanding lady, thus far I've got an extractor, 2 extra sets of op amps and I still need to get a good mini screwdriver, something decent to properly store the op amps in and now a magnifying glass.

Any who, I'm listening to Eva with op amp OPA627AP pre installed mated with my EX 600's right now and thus I'm rather liking what I hear. I'm hearing more detail then I'm used to and this op amp isn't even the most detailed of the three I picked out. I can just imagine what 209 will sound like once I get around to it.

Nov 21, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #869 of 2,354
Quote:
Dude, I was barely able to make out the square solder mark in the corner never mind trying to read the microscopic print on a black background. This weekend I'm scrounging around the stores for a magnifying glass. Eva seems to be one demanding lady, thus far I've got an extractor, 2 extra sets of op amps and I still need to get a good mini screwdriver, something decent to properly store the op amps in and now a magnifying glass.

Any who, I'm listening to Eva with op amp OPA627AP pre installed mated with my EX 600's right now and thus I'm rather liking what I hear. I'm hearing more detail then I'm used to and this op amp isn't even the most detailed of the three I picked out. I can just imagine what 209 will sound like once I get around to it.

lol medusa screaming her lungs out at you :p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back