New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Mar 2, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #1,996 of 2,354
True but in reality how will the vendor really know? The original seller could play the middle man to get the unit serviced (that is if he didn't break it himself...). I did this for someone who bought the IE80s from me. Although Sennheiser was stilling willing to ship to him in Brazil without my help.

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #1,997 of 2,354
  True but in reality how will the vendor really know? The original seller could play the middle man to get the unit serviced (that is if he didn't break it himself...). I did this for someone who bought the IE80s from me. Although Sennheiser was stilling willing to ship to him in Brazil without my help.

got a response from seller.. apparently his internet went out go figure.

I'm hoping to just get some like compromise.. cause NON-USB is a huge problem.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #1,998 of 2,354
Just have him get it repaired for you through Leckerton. I see no reason for this to be a reason to lose coverage. I see it as bs honestly.

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,999 of 2,354
On an note unrelated to the recent surge of posts here, I'd just like to report that while on a business trip, I tried using the UHA-6S Mk.II from the line out on the DX50, and was exceedingly impressed-- a significant improvement in overall clarity, a reduction in noise floor, and a big improvement in how treble is rendered-- especially cymbals, which sounded a bit muddled and confused from the DX50's HP out. These are impressions that did not come from critical listening, so YMMV... but I found the differences to be obvious and stark enough to indicate that critical listening will only reveal more of the same. 

Damned impressive amp, this little Leckerton...

Mar 3, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #2,001 of 2,354
On an note unrelated to the recent surge of posts here, I'd just like to report that while on a business trip, I tried using the UHA-6S Mk.II from the line out on the DX50, and was exceedingly impressed-- a significant improvement in overall clarity, a reduction in noise floor, and a big improvement in how treble is rendered-- especially cymbals, which sounded a bit muddled and confused from the DX50's HP out. These are impressions that did not come from critical listening, so YMMV... but I found the differences to be obvious and stark enough to indicate that critical listening will only reveal more of the same. 

Damned impressive amp, this little Leckerton...

Same experience here. My UHA-6SMKII is permanently stuck at the back of DX50. It gives DX50 more punch, weight and authority in the bass, clear detailed highs and smooth mids. Which opamp you got on yours?

I currently have ADA4627-1A and getting OPA627 and AD797 soon to see hove much different opamps affect the performance of this amp.

The CS4398 DAC in this amp though is not up to the level of the DAC inside the DX50.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:19 AM Post #2,002 of 2,354
What's nice about this little amp is its neutrality and transparency. It's clean. So if you have a clean LO from your dap, this will be a great pairing. Also to be noted is, according to Nick, the amp does not use dc blocking caps instead it has a servo circuit capable of compensating for some dc offsets. In my case, I have 1.5 volts from dap input to amp.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:31 AM Post #2,003 of 2,354
What's nice about this little amp is its neutrality and transparency. It's clean. So if you have a clean LO from your dap, this will be a great pairing. Also to be noted is, according to Nick, the amp does not use dc blocking caps instead it has a servo circuit capable of compensating for some dc offsets. In my case, I have 1.5 volts from dap input to amp.

Which DAP do you pair with 6SMKII? DX50 at max volume also puts out 1.5V to an external amp.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #2,004 of 2,354

Which DAP do you pair with 6SMKII? DX50 at max volume also puts out 1.5V to an external amp.

I use diymod without caps. With the 1.5V, you will start hearing distortion around 10 o'clock on high gain setting. That's the trade off. But normally I hardly need to go beyond 9 or even need high gain.

The high gain amplifies 8x, i.e. at max the servo needs to deal with 1.5v x 8 = 12 volts, which is too much for the amp to handle. That's why the distortion starts around 10 o'clock.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2,005 of 2,354

I use diymod without caps. With the 1.5V, you will start hearing distortion around 10 o'clock on high gain setting. That's the trade off. But normally I hardly need to go beyond 9 or even need high gain.

The high gain amplifies 8x, i.e. at max the servo needs to deal with 1.5v x 8 = 12 volts, which is too much for the amp to handle. That's why the distortion starts around 10 o'clock.

Yeah at 1.5V input voltage, the max gain 6SMKII can do without clipping/distortion is 4x/12dB. I'm not sure though if I hear distortion at 10 o'clock of the volume pot. As far as I know the volume control is logarithmic and not linear. I though the 4x/12dB range is up to 3 o'clock range of the volume pot.

When I use my Beyer T1, I only set it at 12 - 1 o'clock position and it's already very loud. Not sure though if I hear any distortion.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #2,006 of 2,354
Anyway, you can give it a try and find out where you start hearing distortion with your phones. Did you measure the 1.5 volts from your LO?

I love both dap and amp without using caps. It just sounds more clean and transparent with a deadly black background, and everything else will take care itself. I hate colored sounding.

Mar 3, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #2,007 of 2,354
Same experience here. My UHA-6SMKII is permanently stuck at the back of DX50. It gives DX50 more punch, weight and authority in the bass, clear detailed highs and smooth mids. Which opamp you got on yours?

I currently have ADA4627-1A and getting OPA627 and AD797 soon to see hove much different opamps affect the performance of this amp.

The CS4398 DAC in this amp though is not up to the level of the DAC inside the DX50.

I'm running stock in mine, 8610. I had originally intended to use it with my phone, so I wanted to have something that balanced sound quality with immunity from (or, at least, less than utter permeability to) cellular interference. I haven't heard any of the other opamps, but as I mentioned, I'm very pleased with the performance as it stands-- and I do still get some occasional interference from my tablet or one of my phones, so I'll probably be sticking with the 8610 for a while. 

You know, earlier in the thread there were several people who said that the DAC in the 6S was actually much better from its non-USB inputs-- and considering that the DX50 outputs coax and the 6S accepts it, I'm planning on giving that a run at some point. (Truth be told, I had intended to try that out originally, but forgot to take the cable with me on my trip, so I just went LO > LI instead). I'm interested to see if it sounds as good that way as it does in the current configuration. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #2,008 of 2,354

I'm running stock in mine, 8610. I had originally intended to use it with my phone, so I wanted to have something that balanced sound quality with immunity from (or, at least, less than utter permeability to) cellular interference. I haven't heard any of the other opamps, but as I mentioned, I'm very pleased with the performance as it stands-- and I do still get some occasional interference from my tablet or one of my phones, so I'll probably be sticking with the 8610 for a while. 

You know, earlier in the thread there were several people who said that the DAC in the 6S was actually much better from its non-USB inputs-- and considering that the DX50 outputs coax and the 6S accepts it, I'm planning on giving that a run at some point. (Truth be told, I had intended to try that out originally, but forgot to take the cable with me on my trip, so I just went LO > LI instead). I'm interested to see if it sounds as good that way as it does in the current configuration. 

The USB in can only support up to 16/48. While the coax and toslink digital inputs can support up to 24/96 file format. I tried both Toslink (on my mbp) and coax (DX50). The SQ is detailed but overall flat compared to DX50's DAC (WM7840 I think). It also feels thin and lacks weight on the low end which sometimes gives the impression of empasis on the highs making it sound brighter.

Another thing I notice is if I use the built-in DAC in 6SMKII, the total power goes down a bit as I have to crank the volume higher compared to using only it's amp section.

I guess it's normal as it needs to feed the DAC section in addition to the amp section.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #2,009 of 2,354
Anyway, you can give it a try and find out where you start hearing distortion with your phones. Did you measure the 1.5 volts from your LO?

I love both dap and amp without using caps. It just sounds more clean and transparent with a deadly black background, and everything else will take care itself. I hate colored sounding.

I'm also looking for the same charateristics in an amp. (Clean and transparent). That's how I end up with the 6SMKII. Makes it easy to pair with any DAP and headphones. At least you don't need to worry about the amp if you want to try a different sound signature. Either replace your headphone or DAP.

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #2,010 of 2,354
The USB in can only support up to 16/48. While the coax and toslink digital inputs can support up to 24/96 file format. I tried both Toslink (on my mbp) and coax (DX50). The SQ is detailed but overall flat compared to DX50's DAC (WM7840 I think). It also feels thin and lacks weight on the low end which sometimes gives the impression of empasis on the highs making it sound brighter.

Another thing I notice is if I use the built-in DAC in 6SMKII, the total power goes down a bit as I have to crank the volume higher compared to using only it's amp section.

I guess it's normal as it needs to feed the DAC section in addition to the amp section.

Makes sense. And yeah, it's hard to imagine sounding much better than it does right now... Really nice pairing IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back