New Leckerton UHA-6S MKII Portable Headphone Amplifier Announced (Update User Impressions Added July 20th 2012)
Mar 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #2,011 of 2,354
What's nice about this little amp is its neutrality and transparency. It's clean. So if you have a clean LO from your dap, this will be a great pairing. Also to be noted is, according to Nick, the amp does not use dc blocking caps instead it has a servo circuit capable of compensating for some dc offsets. In my case, I have 1.5 volts from dap input to amp.

Which DAP do you pair with 6SMKII? DX50 at max volume also puts out 1.5V to an external amp.

I love this amp

In very simple terms why is not using DC blocking caps good? And if it is good why wouldn't all Amps do the same ? Or is Nick a clever designer

Mar 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #2,012 of 2,354
I love this amp

In very simple terms why is not using DC blocking caps good? And if it is good why wouldn't all Amps do the same ? Or is Nick a clever designer

Here are the words from the man ....

"Yes, I specifically avoided the use of DC coupling backs because of the effect they can have on the audio signal, especially at low frequencies."

and that's why this amp is special to me.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #2,013 of 2,354
Here are the words from the man ....

"Yes, I specifically avoided the use of DC coupling backs because of the effect they can have on the audio signal, especially at low frequencies."

and that's why this amp is special to me.

I have this Amp with the OPA627s in conjunction with the Dx50 and it sounds wonderful.

I am also in the fortunate position to have a more newly acquired PB2 which I am enjoying rolling some different OPamps and the difference that they make, but I love the warmth, musicality and 3D soundstage of the Leckerton. I am not sure that the PB2 with the OPamps I have tried so far beats it yet.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #2,014 of 2,354
I have this Amp with the OPA627s in conjunction with the Dx50 and it sounds wonderful.

I am also in the fortunate position to have a more newly acquired PB2 which I am enjoying rolling some different OPamps and the difference that they make, but I love the warmth, musicality and 3D soundstage of the Leckerton. I am not sure that the PB2 with the OPamps I have tried so far beats it yet.

Good to know you like the OPA627. I will get a pair myself and compare it to ADA4627-1A. The 0dB (low gain) though is too much for DX50 with sensitive CIEMs. I can't get the volume past 11 o'clock most of the time unless I turn down the volume on DX50. I'm thinking of getting another one with a modified -12dB and 12dB for low and high gain respectively instead of the more expensive UHA-760.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #2,015 of 2,354

Good to know you like the OPA627. I will get a pair myself and compare it to ADA4627-1A. The 0dB (low gain) though is too much for DX50 with sensitive CIEMs. I can't get the volume past 11 o'clock most of the time unless I turn down the volume on DX50. I'm thinking of getting another one with a modified -12dB and 12dB for low and high gain respectively instead of the more expensive UHA-760.

I would be interested to learn of your the comparison. Be careful if you buy the 627s off EBay as there are loads of fakes apparently.

I use the Leckerton with UE Triple 10 pros but also use an impedance adaptor and this makes the Volume dial more maneagble. It might be a better option than getting yours modified.

As regards his newest model, whilst I am sure it is state of the Art, I am not sure that I could tell the difference in sound between up streamed music & normal, plus you can't roll the OPamps, so I don't intend to upgrade.

Mar 5, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #2,016 of 2,354
That's how I felt with the new one. Doesn't have the "bang for buck" that this one has. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #2,017 of 2,354
That's how I felt with the new one. Doesn't have the "bang for buck" that this one has. 

True but the 3-way gain and improved low volume channel balance are very nice additions. Also the volume knob is smaller and gives a bit more resistance, making it easier to avoid turning it on accident. And since I didn't use the coax, I do prefer the cleaner look of the 760. Jm2c but to me step up is definitely worth it.

I will say that the 760 doesn't seem to go as loud as the 6s.mkii. Is it just me?

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #2,018 of 2,354
Speaking of, Is Leckerton Audio still lowering the channel balance for the UHA-6S Mk2 for free? I have the Roxanne's and they are so easy to drive that they are loud at the point the channels balance on some highly compressed recordings. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #2,019 of 2,354
True but the 3-way gain and improved low volume channel balance are very nice additions. Also the volume knob is smaller and gives a bit more resistance, making it easier to avoid turning it on accident. And since I didn't use the coax, I do prefer the cleaner look of the 760. Jm2c but to me step up is definitely worth it.

I will say that the 760 doesn't seem to go as loud as the 6s.mkii. Is it just me?

UHA-6SMKII and UHA760 has the same amplifier design and similar power output. The 3 way gain and supposedly channel imbalance at low volume advantage on 760 is useless because you can have the 6SMKII modified from the default gain of 0dB for low and 18dB for high to -12dB and 12dB.

UHA760's 3-gain level is -12dB, 0dB and 12dB. Do you get the correlation? It means if you modify the 6SMKII you are actually getting the 760 at a lower price (Mod is free, just ask Nick). At -12dB gain for sensitive iems you get wider range for the volume control and need not worry of channel imbalance at low volume. The pot is good from 9 o'clock up.

If you use full size cans you would most likely need the full 12dB headroom so the middle gain setting is 760 is utterly useless for most cases.

At their default gain settings, the 6S can actually drive headphones twice the volume compared to 760 (6dB difference). You already observed this difference I see.

The price, the lack of input options makes the 6SMKII the better choice.Not to mention the ability to roll opamps.  I'm actually planning to get anothe 6SMKII with the modified gain settings which I intend to use exclusively for my ciems.

Mar 5, 2014 at 8:57 PM Post #2,020 of 2,354
UHA-6SMKII and UHA760 has the same amplifier design and similar power output. The 3 way gain and supposedly channel imbalance at low volume advantage on 760 is useless because you can have the 6SMKII modified from the default gain of 0dB for low and 18dB for high to -12dB and 12dB.

UHA760's 3-gain level is -12dB, 0dB and 12dB. Do you get the correlation? It means if you modify the 6SMKII you are actually getting the 760 at a lower price (Mod is free, just ask Nick). At -12dB gain for sensitive iems you get wider range for the volume control and need not worry of channel imbalance at low volume. The pot is good from 9 o'clock up.

If you use full size cans you would most likely need the full 12dB headroom so the middle gain setting is 760 is utterly useless for most cases.

At their default gain settings, the 6S can actually drive headphones twice the volume compared to 760 (6dB difference). You already observed this difference I see.

The price, the lack of input options makes the 6SMKII the better choice.Not to mention the ability to roll opamps.  I'm actually planning to get anothe 6SMKII with the modified gain settings which I intend to use exclusively for my ciems.

Oh thanks for the info; that makes a lot of sense. You make a good case for the 6SMKII. I will admit I hardly use the middle gain setting on the 760. I suppose it wouldn't be possible to up the gain on the 760 to 18dB like on the stock 6SMKII? Seems that it's either -12dB and 12dB or 0dB and 18dB, while -12dB and 18dB doesn't seem to be an option. Is this a limit of the architecture? Seems if it were possible then Nick would have done it.

Now that I think about it, seems it would make sense to raise the gain on all levels on the 760, since the digital volume control eliminates channel imbalance. Should that be possible?

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #2,021 of 2,354

This seems like a pretty overly negative way to view it... I have the UHA-6S Mk2 and love it, but if I were buying one new right now I'd probably get the 760, as I listen at low volumes and would like to have the better channel balance at lower volumes, etc. I think a more constructive way to make these points might be to note that the previous 6S2 was pretty highly regarded, and (like many well-thought-of devices) the subsequent model is more a series of small, incremental changes rather than a wholesale ground-up revision; and that the additional features address a few of the small number of areas that the 6S2 could be improved. The repeated use of the word "useless" seems pointlessly derogative to me... 

You are, of course, fully entitled to your opinion. I'm just not sure why you chose to couch it in such unpleasant terms. 

Edit: corrected a misspelling. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #2,022 of 2,354
Oh thanks for the info; that makes a lot of sense. You make a good case for the 6SMKII. I will admit I hardly use the middle gain setting on the 760. I suppose it wouldn't be possible to up the gain on the 760 to 18dB like on the stock 6SMKII? Seems that it's either -12dB and 12dB or 0dB and 18dB, while -12dB and 18dB doesn't seem to be an option. Is this a limit of the architecture? Seems if it were possible then Nick would have done it.

Now that I think about it, seems it would make sense to raise the gain on all levels on the 760, since the digital volume control eliminates channel imbalance. Should that be possible?

I asked Nick the very same question when I ordered my first 6SMKII. He said it's not possible for -12, 18dB. I agree that 12dB is the sweet spot for max gain considering LO voltage of 1.5Vrms and above.

For the standard 2Vrms Line out 6SMKII can only drive up to 3x(8-9dB) without clipping. (6V / 2V).

The only way to get to 18dB is if your source output is 0.75Vrms.

Mar 5, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,023 of 2,354
This seems like a pretty overly negative way to view it... I have the UHA-6S Mk2 and love it, but if I were buying one new right now I'd probably get the 760, as I listen at low volumes and would like to have the better channel balance at lower volumes, etc. I think a more constructive way to make these points might be to note that the previous 6S2 was pretty highly regarded, and (like many well-thought-of devices) the subsequent model is more a series of small, incremental changes rather than a wholesale ground-up revision; and that the additional features address a few of the small number of areas that the 6S2 could be improved. The repeated use of the word "useless" seems pointlessly derogative to me... 

You are, of course, fully entitled to your opinion. I'm just not sure why you chose to couch it in such unpleasant terms. 

Edit: corrected a misspelling. 

You do realize that is entirely my opinion if I choose between 6SMKII and 760. What's derogative about "useless" that is exactly how I see it. If the price difference is not substantial, they are virtually equal. There may be added features on 760 but there are also existing features that was omitted which have more practical use that what was added.

The channel imbalance like I say can be taken care of with the mod.

You may agree or not but you have to state your reason why.

Mar 6, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #2,024 of 2,354
In terms of channel balance at low volumes the digital pot is going to walk all over the analog one. No questions asked. If you are gonna use sensitive IEMs the 760 is going to be much more suited for this.

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #2,025 of 2,354
In terms of channel balance at low volumes the digital pot is going to walk all over the analog one. No questions asked. If you are gonna use sensitive IEMs the 760 is going to be much more suited for this.

Channel imbalance is only noticeable if the analogue pot is set at the lower ranges from 7 o'clock to 9/10 o'clock positions. Past 10 o'clock it's not an issue anymore. While true a digital pot is superior to an analog pot across the full range, modifying the low gain to -12dB on 6SMKII makes it a non issue on sensitive iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back