New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Oct 28, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #376 of 8,377

There's certain things the JH13 (or any custom IEM) will be unable to do vs a full sized phone.. like use the outer ear the way a full sized phone can (i.e. HD800) to present a larger soundstage space.. but in terms of pure detail retrieval, tonal accuracy, speed, accurate imaging/instrument placement, etc., the JH13 FP doesn't, in the slightest, play second fiddle to the HD800, IME.  One of the reasons I actually sold the HD800 was cause I realized that I prefer to use IEMs when I'm in the mood to listen with an ultra-resolving phone.  Isolation plays a big part in that (for me).  Also, the HD800 deserve some pretty nice upstream gear considering how well they scale.. while the JH13 need nothing more than a HQ portable DAC (like the ODAC) & portable amp (like the UHA-6S MKII) to show you just what it's capable of.

Being an owner of the JH13pro for 4 years, couldn't agree more with FlySweep's comments.

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #378 of 8,377
OH GOD

Why did I find this thread?!!

Well thanks guys, I'm gonna be out $1600..

*edit*

Skimming back.. IEM's really have caught up with headphones. I've owned both. I put more hours through 13's and LCD-2's than most people due to the nature of my work and I gotta say, depending one which one you are more comfortable with, and the lifestyle you live, both are viable options.

I will say that an amp to run an IEM 98% to perfection will be much much less with the advent of the latest super-DAPs versus whatever $2000 25+lb amp is popular now.

Most audio engineering professionals that I have spoken to will agree as well.

I cannot wear IEM's for over six hours a day. I just can't. It doesn't feel as hygienic to me, but for the 2-3 that I spend in IEM's it's very nice. I love the port too so I can maintain the illusion that I'm listening to my professor talk hehe.

Oct 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #379 of 8,377
Chris I do not understand your statement ??
Please clarify

Oct 28, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #380 of 8,377

There's certain things the JH13 (or any custom IEM) will be unable to do vs a full sized phone.. like use the outer ear the way a full sized phone can (i.e. HD800) to present a larger soundstage space.. but in terms of pure detail retrieval, tonal accuracy, speed, accurate imaging/instrument placement, etc., the JH13 FP doesn't, in the slightest, play second fiddle to the HD800, IME.  One of the reasons I actually sold the HD800 was cause I realized that I prefer to use IEMs when I'm in the mood to listen with an ultra-resolving phone.  Isolation plays a big part in that (for me).  Also, the HD800 deserve some pretty nice upstream gear considering how well they scale.. while the JH13 need nothing more than a HQ portable DAC (like the ODAC) & portable amp (like the UHA-6S MKII) to show you just what it's capable of.

Good post and this is why I'm still interested in the Roxanne. The HD800 did many technical things very well but left me emotionally detached from the music. But for argument sake, insert any phone HE-6, LCD-3 etc. that I did like and the truth is, other than soundstage, having an IEM that you spend most of your time with due to convenience that isolatese outside noise (something open cans don't do) and not requiring an equipment rack full of pricey gear. Well, it tips the scale towards the "kinda worth the high price" category. 

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #381 of 8,377
well the ear and sound stage is not all. i have a rare type of hearing defect. I really do not hear soundstage with iem,s or headphone. It is always just in my head. I do not perceive surround sound either . I do all to a small degree. As such there still is a big difference in change from one to the other for me. first off headphones at least the better ones like being discussed hear do engage much more. Now I can tell placement but not what people describe to . I have a small collection of cheap to really good stuff. Better is better but only speakers even small nierfield gives me real staging with depth and width. I think that's why I like the headphones ,Iem,s so much it is like a microscope for my ears..

but this is a really good discussion..

AL D

Oct 28, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #382 of 8,377
well the ear and sound stage is not all. i have a rare type of hearing defect. I really do not hear soundstage with iem,s or headphone. It is always just in my head. I do not perceive surround sound either . I do all to a small degree. As such there still is a big difference in change from one to the other for me. first off headphones at least the better ones like being discussed hear do engage much more. Now I can tell placement but not what people describe to . I have a small collection of cheap to really good stuff. Better is better but only speakers even small nierfield gives me real staging with depth and width. I think that's why I like the headphones ,Iem,s so much it is like a microscope for my ears..

but this is a really good discussion..

AL D

Oct 28, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #383 of 8,377
  That's a very very big call, pitting the JH13 FP against the HD800.

I heard the HD 800 4 years ago in Bristol then bought JH13Pro in preference to them.
No regrets.
I have bought other on and around ear headphones since but the JH13 are still amazing.  Yes, more amazing than HD800 to me.
Freq Phase is of course an upgrade to teh JH13 that I have not yet experienced. The HD800 has not had an upgrade to compete yet!

Regards

Sceptre

Oct 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #384 of 8,377
 I have the frq phase 13 and they great but so in the fitears I have as well. but not to disagree but by choice the hd800 are more engaging. even though with iem,s I feel close. maybe for me it a little staging im hearing instead ofjust things in my head. I also have an small issue with echo as such although some live recording are good for me but the ones with to much echo is just to muddy. so anything in a large room and not close miked I do not care for. no hear is a funny thing though I do like live when I am there as this is when I hear the real staging others hear.

Oct 28, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #385 of 8,377
Got an email saying they are starting to process the CanJam pre-orders...Still wont ship until the release in late November.

Excerpt from the email:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your pre-order of Roxanne at CanJam. Emailing to let you know that you are the first of our pre-orders and we are still on track for a late November ship date. I will be placing orders for you beginning Monday, October 28th and charging credit cards at that time.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Oct 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #387 of 8,377
I heard, this will be also available as universal model. Can somebody confirm this.

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #388 of 8,377
Heard the same thing (I dont know where) ... I think I heard somthing like December or so... However I find it strange since this would be the first time for Jh ...
And to start on the new flagship seems even stranger...

Oct 28, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #390 of 8,377
I really hate this hobby. It is really hard to reason with yourself. No matter who says what why would I spend about two grand on iems I never heard. Wow oh yes when I bought the PP6 and the JH16/jh3a . Here goes I am emailing Judy Glick NOW!!

Al D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back