New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Aug 2, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #6,483 of 8,377
I'm thinking wouldn't it makes sense to make a pair of cheap earpieces (without drivers or anything inside) and ship them to the buyer to see if they fit or not, before actually making the CIEM? Better yet if these can be done at the ear impression shop. It could saves a lots of round-trip fitting time.

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #6,484 of 8,377
Been playing around with the universals and not quite as veiled and with more body.  But i have to really push them in and back so that they touch more of my outer ear.  That gets them closer to what must be their normal sound, but still not there.  I am thinking the universals will never sound right, and customs are the only way.  How long is the wait these days for custom Roxanne's?  Maybe I should just get a newer UE model, especially since they already have my impressions (from 2005 though).

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #6,485 of 8,377
  I'm thinking wouldn't it makes sense to make a pair of cheap earpieces (without drivers or anything inside) and ship them to the buyer to see if they fit or not, before actually making the CIEM? Better yet if these can be done at the ear impression shop. It could saves a lots of round-trip fitting time.

It could be possible, but it would probably cost more, they'd probably forget and think they'd mailed the actual ciem, or then make the actual ciem differently than the test version anyway.  The ear impressions, in theory, really should be enough to make a set.  3D scanning will probably be the future.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #6,487 of 8,377

Cosmic Ears introduced a "prefit" service based on my experiences with customs.  You send in the molds as normal, the company then make an empty shell that they send back to you to see if it fits.  You either then give the go ahead or let them know about any potential problems such as length of canal, seal etc.  They then make the ciem and in theory should get a good fit every time!  Surprised more company's haven't thought about introducing such a service.  Of course some lucky individuals never seem to need much in the way of refits so it could not be need for some.

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #6,488 of 8,377
  Been playing around with the universals and not quite as veiled and with more body.  But i have to really push them in and back so that they touch more of my outer ear.  That gets them closer to what must be their normal sound, but still not there.  I am thinking the universals will never sound right, and customs are the only way.  How long is the wait these days for custom Roxanne's?  Maybe I should just get a newer UE model, especially since they already have my impressions (from 2005 though).

As a proud owner of the UE18 pro, I would say they sound more like monitors and accurate to the source imo. As for the roxies, they are a tad more musical with jh's signature sound which is not a bad thing either. The biggest difference is the customizable bass which you can adjust accordingly. Your issue with the uniRox might be solvable by using specific tips to ensure proper sealing. If that doesn't work to get the sound right, then I guess custom is the only way for you. Expect anywhere from 3 months upwards towards 7-8 months if you're going CF. By the time you receive them, they'll probably have something newer to offer from their siren sereies: Anna's, Bonnie's, Catherine's, Diane's, Emmy's, Florence's... or whatever. I really can't justify the wait if I'm paying this much, that's why I get the uniRox instead.

Aug 3, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #6,489 of 8,377

Cosmic Ears introduced a "prefit" service based on my experiences with customs.  You send in the molds as normal, the company then make an empty shell that they send back to you to see if it fits.  You either then give the go ahead or let them know about any potential problems such as length of canal, seal etc.  They then make the ciem and in theory should get a good fit every time!  Surprised more company's haven't thought about introducing such a service.  Of course some lucky individuals never seem to need much in the way of refits so it could not be need for some.

Yap yap! That's what I was thinking about. It would be much more cost saving then disassemble the CIEM and reshell it for fit issue.

Aug 3, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #6,490 of 8,377
As a proud owner of the UE18 pro, I would say they sound more like monitors and accurate to the source imo. As for the roxies, they are a tad more musical with jh's signature sound which is not a bad thing either. The biggest difference is the customizable bass which you can adjust accordingly. Your issue with the uniRox might be solvable by using specific tips to ensure proper sealing. If that doesn't work to get the sound right, then I guess custom is the only way for you. Expect anywhere from 3 months upwards towards 7-8 months if you're going CF. By the time you receive them, they'll probably have something newer to offer from their siren sereies: Anna's, Bonnie's, Catherine's, Diane's, Emmy's, Florence's... or whatever. I really can't justify the wait if I'm paying this much, that's why I get the uniRox instead.

Fyi, rox is the flagship of the siren series. Any thing Newer will be lesser of rox.

Aug 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #6,492 of 8,377
The JH13 pro then fp gained near universal acclaim. Roxy has had a much more mixed reception. Progress is maybe not always linear?!

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #6,493 of 8,377
As of right now it is... Just like I'm sure jh13pro was the flagship, until something better comes along. Who knows what JH may have in 8 months.

Jerry actually stated it was going to be the flagship of the "Siren Series", with the implication that they were coming out with several others with it retaining flagship status for awhile.  But that was pre-release talk. 

Aug 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #6,495 of 8,377
I think it is less a case of untruths than not being able to predict commercial realities. It would also be nice to think that Jeryy Harvey does not know where his passion and experimentation will take him next. I think it is sensible to separate the proven creativity from the equally proven abysmal business practise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back