New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jun 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #6,136 of 8,377
When I look at fine art, I will move in close to focus on the detail (not with a microscope or magnifying glass) but where I appreciate it most, is several feet back in order to admire how the different pieces make up the whole picture. If it looks uninspiring from a natural distance, I don't how care how "good" the details are. Hope that helps.

But If you look at it long enough, the details will begin to gel into a beautiful painting. You can then choose to focus on each stroke or the whole painting as you wish.

Jun 18, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #6,139 of 8,377
For Roxanne, I feel the best way is to go custom. However you do have a point in terms of instruments separation. Each instrument is so distinct it seems odd. Give it another half an hour of listening and once your mind has gotten used to it, it sounds like the best ciem in the world.

When I switched from listening to Fitear MH334, the custom Roxanne initially sounds harsh, disjointed and unruly. Nothing another fifteen minutes of listening won't fix. (likewise when you switch from Roxanne to MH334, the Fitear initially sounds dull, flat with the Soundstage collapsing, the Fitear will sounds like the best ciem in th world with silky smooth, Balanced and unbeatable clarity in half an hour of listening).

It's weird how our minds perceive the sound signature after gotten used to it.

If you level matched the volume, you wouldn't have this issue....

Jun 19, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #6,141 of 8,377
Quote:

For Roxanne, I feel the best way is to go custom. However you do have a point in terms of instruments separation. Each instrument is so distinct it seems odd. Give it another half an hour of listening and once your mind has gotten used to it, it sounds like the best ciem in the world.

When I switched from listening to Fitear MH334, the custom Roxanne initially sounds harsh, disjointed and unruly. Nothing another fifteen minutes of listening won't fix. (likewise when you switch from Roxanne to MH334, the Fitear initially sounds dull, flat with the Soundstage collapsing, the Fitear will sounds like the best ciem in th world with silky smooth, Balanced and unbeatable clarity in half an hour of listening).

It's weird how our minds perceive the sound signature after gotten used to it.

I don't think it's an issue of level matching.  Headphones have sound variations, and MH334 and Roxanne have their own individual sonic characteristics.  If you go from one type of sound to another, of course your brain will notice the differences.  Then, you continuously listen, your brain adjust to the sound.  This is what I don't like about A/B tests.  It can give you a false reality of one sounds better than the other, but in reality there are only differences. 

In regards to separation, I always wondered if it's tied to the number of cross-overs.  I hear more "imaging" or dynamic level variations with my 4-way NT-6, it sounds like the music has depth and comes alive.  Perhaps this is what you mean by separation?  I can agree it gives you a sense of separation.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #6,142 of 8,377

To me, it's not an issue. It's a matter of getting used to one sound signature and not coping well initially with sudden change.

Once my ears adapted to the new signature, if it's of high quality, I begin to appreciate and adapt.

This is why I like to change my CIEMs a few week or so and then rotate them.

Jun 19, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #6,144 of 8,377
We are all different when it comes to art appreciation, this is what makes this world so interesting.

Personally, I always give a masterpiece a second look, just in case I miss a hidden gem. But you mileage my vary.

that what is called 1 + 1 = 3
you always get extra something for masterpiece product. that make you keep wanting and appreciating them.

After a month use I a/b roxanne with my grado ms1 mod, I didn't find them dark anymore and yet have not find any record from my collection that sound harsh/peaky to my ears. the sound keeps getting full and tighter. I felt no need to buy lcd's or hd800 anymore. I find Roxanne more like a combination of lcd3 sq with hd800 instrument separation from my short audition experience with those headphones... that is totally imo..
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #6,145 of 8,377

that what is called 1 + 1 = 3
you always get extra something for masterpiece product. that make you keep wanting and appreciating them.

After a month use I a/b roxanne with my grado ms1 mod, I didn't find them dark anymore and yet have not find any record from my collection that sound harsh/peaky to my ears. the sound keeps getting full and tighter. I felt no need to buy lcd's or hd800 anymore. I find Roxanne more like a combination of lcd3 sq with hd800 instrument separation from my short audition experience with those headphones... that is totally imo..
biggrin.gif

Roxanne is my 1st CIEM, I had been using the Roxanne for few month & I'm listen to it everyday almost no miss, i still find it dark for some track, like you say it never sound harsh, superb bass. This is the thing i like but still prefer brighter mid. Personally i still prefer the MH334 sound, it's brighter and harsh sometime base on the demo set and after few round of audition i decided to ahead and order. To me neither Rox or 334 are close to LCD-3, too good but perhaps because the DAC and amp. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #6,146 of 8,377
  Roxanne is my 1st CIEM, I had been using the Roxanne for few month & I'm listen to it everyday almost no miss, i still find it dark for some track, like you say it never sound harsh, superb bass. This is the thing i like but still prefer brighter mid. Personally i still prefer the MH334 sound, it's brighter and harsh sometime base on the demo set and after few round of audition i decided to ahead and order. To me neither Rox or 334 are close to LCD-3, too good but perhaps because the DAC and amp. 

You should try it along with other headphones that you really familiar with. I did and I start to appreciate Roxanne more and more. Some headphone that I think it is better than the roxanne, once I use them back they become not as expected.

To me Roxanne is more like "in the music". It is not "be there with the music". If you get what i mean.. Actually I prefer be there with the music, that makes me feel I am watching live concert and can imagining the singer truly stand in front of your face. for roxanne it is more like I mention before a sirens that sings so beautiful that can lure people to the sound..

I have to agree with you.. lcd or hd800 sounds beautiful with the right amp and dac.. I am not saying it is the same quality but it is close to me.. I can taste the excitement at least..

Jun 19, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #6,147 of 8,377

You should try it along with other headphones that you really familiar with. I did and I start to appreciate Roxanne more and more. Some headphone that I think it is better than the roxanne, once I use them back they become not as expected.

To me Roxanne is more like "in the music". It is not "be there with the music". If you get what i mean.. Actually I prefer be there with the music, that makes me feel I am watching live concert and can imagining the singer truly stand in front of your face. for roxanne it is more like I mention before a sirens that sings so beautiful that can lure people to the sound..

I have to agree with you.. lcd or hd800 sounds beautiful with the right amp and dac.. I am not saying it is the same quality but it is close to me.. I can taste the excitement at least..

I get what you mean, exactly what i want. But just that some track are really veiled for me, but i not sure if it's recording quality or the phone signature or even the setup causing that as i found some of track are really awesome with Roxanne. 

Jun 19, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #6,148 of 8,377
I don't think it's an issue of level matching.  Headphones have sound variations, and MH334 and Roxanne have their own individual sonic characteristics.  If you go from one type of sound to another, of course your brain will notice the differences.  Then, you continuously listen, your brain adjust to the sound.  This is what I don't like about A/B tests.  It can give you a false reality of one sounds better than the other, but in reality there are only differences. 

In regards to separation, I always wondered if it's tied to the number of cross-overs.  I hear more "imaging" or dynamic level variations with my 4-way NT-6, it sounds like the music has depth and comes alive.  Perhaps this is what you mean by separation?  I can agree it gives you a sense of separation.

As I keep saying, there seems to be a lot of folks who really enjoy that forward presentation which is typical of most IEMs (music is in your head instead of presented in front of you).

Grado has the same effect. Many people identify a very wide presentation with a certain veiled feel because of it. Give someone a Sennheiser can who listens to Grado all day long - the comments would be identical.

The spacious soundstage of the Roxanne is directly tied to the number of cross overs and how they are implemented. They are the ONLY IEM (custom or otherwise) I have heard thus far that sound like a full size can in this regard.

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #6,149 of 8,377

Look they are finally coming!
This pic is them arriving at ShipIto location to forward to me here in Brazil =D
Finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Should receive it in a few days, DHL Express to Brazil is usually fast.

I am upgrading from a shure SE535, lets see how I will find the differences.

My OCD wouldn't allow my ears to be opened by anyone else, before I got my hands on them. 
biggrin.gif

Jun 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM Post #6,150 of 8,377
As I keep saying, there seems to be a lot of folks who really enjoy that forward presentation which is typical of most IEMs (music is in your head instead of presented in front of you).

Grado has the same effect. Many people identify a very wide presentation with a certain veiled feel because of it. Give someone a Sennheiser can who listens to Grado all day long - the comments would be identical.

The spacious soundstage of the Roxanne is directly tied to the number of cross overs and how they are implemented. They are the ONLY IEM (custom or otherwise) I have heard thus far that sound like a full size can in this regard.

I agree, no other iem and ciem I know has the Soundstage as big as Roxanne

Users who are viewing this thread

Back