New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #4,532 of 8,377
The thing with Roxanne is there's no specific sound signature because of the variable bass. You find it dark and some find it warm with higher bass setting. Try setting it a 9 o'clock and you'll get better clarity, wider, deeper stage and better imaging.

It's what makes Roxanne unique you won't be bored. Feed it with a very good source and it it will give you the best possible presentation with better mastered recordings. It also goes for the opposite, bad recording really sound bad.

Thank You.
Did it. At 9pm, obviously there is a little more clarity, sounds warm and not dark anymore. The thing is, I turn it up to 1-2pm because the bass is lacking at 9-10pm for me. I'm still looking for my Jh13Fp's boosted subbass but this is not the case with Rox , i understand. I've been going back and forth between this and k10 (these are my friend's Rox that fits my ears) so I can decide which on the 2.
At 9pm, I'm not enjoying the bass.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #4,533 of 8,377
I played with the bass a little it is a really good feature to have . It can increase the bass on bass light recordings . But for general listening I kept it flat at the bottom.

Regarding dark it is closer to a lcd3 than a he6 in brightness . As I said you can really hear it in vocals both males and females . It's a close cousin to the jh16 , and And a distant cousin to the jh13. .

The jh13 is a clarity winner but it does have it's short comings as it runs out of dynamic headroom quickly with high impact music, and the bass muddies up as this occurs.
This is why the jh16 were a upgrade for the jh13. They fixed the issue of the 13 with quad bass.
The 16 is in fact a little brighter than the Roxanne , but not as bright as the 13 . I do not like saying an iem is dark or bright as we all do hear different.
I use about 6 db to boost from 800 up on my DAP to make my 16 FP sound like a super charged 13. It works very well for me.
I will be doing the same with the Roxanne. Now in defense of the Roxanne ,s sound it has more layers and much more dynamic then the 13. In fact the 13 sounds almost anemic
When A/B testing. All in all I think the Roxanne is an improvement in iem evolution of the jh audio brand sound . It allows for a much broader spectrum of choices . Now everyone is looking for the best , there is none. I want to hear the K10 some how. As I have the old company 8A . Very clean and enough bass dynamics to make you ear drum wobble . I use the same EQ with it. And it is darker than the 16 , but it sounds fantastic when your ears get adjusted to it. So the K10 is a must listen for me as .
Now I am not a pro reviewer and in fact just a audio nut like most here , so agree to disagree is fine but don't say I am wrong ....

Al

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #4,535 of 8,377
I find 1pm perfect for me, matches pretty close to bass levels of my HE-6.  Not quite as clean and deep, but amount is the same.

The treble clarity and extension is tremendous, I highly doubt anyone will ever call Roxanne's laid back or recessed when it comes to treble.

Mar 21, 2014 at 7:56 AM Post #4,536 of 8,377
  I find 1pm perfect for me, matches pretty close to bass levels of my HE-6.  Not quite as clean and deep, but amount is the same.

The treble clarity and extension is tremendous, I highly doubt anyone will ever call Roxanne's laid back or recessed when it comes to treble.

It's just a matter of reference headphone you are base your comparison. If you compare it with a brighter phone then Roxanne will sound recessed, laid-back. That is why giving an impression is most useful when compared against a reference headphone.

Take into account the variable base and definitely, there will be differences and sometimes conflicting impressions. But I think this is what makes Roxanne especial. Just find the correct  bass level and just enjoy your music.

Mar 21, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #4,541 of 8,377
Anyone has idea on the turn around time for jh to get a refit done?

As in how many days / weeks after they receive the new impressions and ciem.

Thanks in advance

4  days + shipping time if you stay on top of it.

Mar 21, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #4,542 of 8,377
Anyone in this thread going to the LA Meet tomorrow?  I'll be there with my Roxanne in tow, looking forward to checking out the K10.  

Hit the wrong button. I'm on my way there now. Listening to my Roxanne's as I Write this.

Corbyn said she was Shipping my New Aluminum collared cable out to me yesterday. So it should be waiting for me when I get home.

Mar 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #4,543 of 8,377
My Roxannes finally arrived today! So excited, to be honest I'm glad I went with the acrylic w/ CF faceplate in the end - I get the benefit of functionally identical aesthetics and I get to see all the effort's that gone into cramming those drivers in.

First impressions: these things are HUGE. I was using some custom Frogbeats C4s before, and they were about half the depth of these things. They're also a tighter fit, but actually they provide better isolation and they seem comfy enough once I work them in.

Bearing in mind I've only been listening to them for around an hour so, and I've been listening through both my O2 amp and my Cowon J3... these things ROCK. The first things that struck me: these have a very up-front presentation and are able to develop an impressively thick timbre. I've been messing around with bass settings and I've settled on 1 o'clock for now, although I'm sure that will change. The bass quantity and depth is fantastic, and I think that's where these seem to really shine over earphones I've used previously (gone from ER-4P -> Shure SE535 LTD -> Frogbeats C4).

They don't have the detail of my Sennheiser HD800's - what earphone does? - but so far I'm finding these just as fun to listen to, despite the sound signatures being worlds apart. I agree with the people who say these sound  a bit "dark", and I think it's because there's a dip somewhere in the upper-mid/treble registers. After a little EQ to boost the upper mids though, they really come to life, so I think I'll be listening to these EQ'ed from now on; these EQ just fine, and for the sound quality I'm getting I'm definitely not complaining. They seem to particularly excel at anything that needs a "big" sound rather than being used for monitoring, and that's really what I bought these for anyway, so I'm dead pleased so far.

I've got a really nice macro lens coming in the post, so I'll put up some pics next week when it arrives.

Mar 21, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #4,544 of 8,377
Anyone has idea on the turn around time for jh to get a refit done?

As in how many days / weeks after they receive the new impressions and ciem.

Thanks in advance

I sent mine in 3 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back