New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Jan 21, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #2,974 of 8,377
Found another small problem, just for your info, should be isolated case. You will get some static feel it metal part touch your ear.

Jan 21, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,980 of 8,377
What is decay in IEM's? To my understanding it is the period for which a sound resonates before stoping completely? If this is the case, I do not understand why this is needed because surely if decay was intended in the music the. The headphones would play the sound of decay. It is quite difficult in trying to depict what I want to say.

Put another way I'll use an analogy. In a variety of sports cars is what's known as a turbo. There are many different types or turbo but that's besides the point. I case you aren't all that knowledgable about cars I'll explain.
When using a turbo, there is something called 'lag time,' this so called lag time representing the decay found in speakers (in this case IEMs). When the driver floors the pedal the car springs into action as it normally would, however with the addition of the turbo, the exhaust from the car initially accelerating, spools up the turbo and makes it spin, in turn making the wheels of the car spin even faster, however because it takes time for the air to reach the turbo at which point it can be compressed and made into additional horse power, there is a delay.

Now getting back on track (no punn intended). In IEMs the decay is representative of the lag time found when using a turbo although the inverse is true for each (turbo starting, sound stopping), the principle is similar. What I don't understand is the sole purpose of intentionally making a decay in the sound signature. For the purpose of continuity referring back to the car. Without a turbo the car runs along just fine, this being representative of speakers with no decay. Although the turbo does increase the speed however this is besides the point as we are just focusing on timing rather than speed (although coincidentally enough the decay of speakers is apparently what determines their fast sounding signature).

Now that i have established precisely what I mean I will introduce different element to the analogy although keeping the same concept, that being bumps on the road if which are representative of the different frequencies in music. As the car goes over the bumps it vibrates up and down. The suspension of the car is now what represents the decay (I used the turbo example just to help better explain).
Depending on the stiffness of the suspension the car will vibrate differently. With a stiffer suspension, the vibration terminates quicker than with a loose suspension. When there is a loose suspension the vibration reverberates for a longer duration, which is the decay in speakers.

So to summarise, what is the use for decay, surely this is distorting the sound from its original the true way it was intended to be interpreted. And what is better for that matter, a longer or shorter decay? Thanks in advance.

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #2,981 of 8,377
wow a lot of words  and the turbo was really cool . well its the opposite of turbo lag .

decay makes the music sound more natural  . . if I pluck a guitar you hear the twang , but to make it sound better you need the over tones. well if the iem has a fast decay its sharp but not real  . see less words . lol  now if you have tooo much decay you take away from the clarity. to fast you loose the realism . although there is a lot of bull in reviews the decay is an absolute.

al

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #2,982 of 8,377

Decay is necessary because the air around an instrument or speaker vibrates for a time after the impetus is delivered. In the controlled environment between the armatures/diaphragm and the ear, the effect is not as pronounced. Ergo, it is up to the designer to simulate this and make up for the loss. Sometimes, in the case of dynamic drivers, the effect occurs naturally due to the way the diaphragm material responds to impulses. That's why you hear a lot of people say dynamic drivers sound more natural. Ergo, decay. 

This is the 6th time I have explained decay this week, and I have become exceedingly efficient at it.

300px-TheArchitectMatrix.jpg

Jan 21, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #2,983 of 8,377
yes and the avatar is fabulous  and you definitely  said it better than me. ergo I stink at explaining  . do you have well a trimmed beard hmmm?? 

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #2,984 of 8,377
Um, what is ergo? Ergonomics? (was going to say Er, instead of Um but thought that would be taking it a bit too far)

What is the general consensus of what people (among these forums) prefer, BA or Dynamic.

Jan 21, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #2,985 of 8,377
Um, what is ergo? Ergonomics? (was going to say Er, instead of Um but thought that would be taking it a bit too far)

What is the general consensus of what people (among these forums) prefer, BA or Dynamic.

'ergo' is a latin term, which connects one statement to another (it only works in some circumstances, so please don't try to apply it in all your sentences!
wink.gif
)

The approximate English translation of 'ergo' is:

'consequently'

or

'therefore'

So, you can (in some circumstances) use a statement to provide the foundations upon which to build a subsequent statement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back