New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Nov 24, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #676 of 8,377
strange when i was taking the miracle's impressions the doctor asked me about my name and i answered him, there was no bite block so i used one finger as a bite block, yet one thing i was sure of the quality of the silicon was the best in Dubai.

the CIEM turned out to be perfect although i did talk a little and used one finger as a bite block (was relaxed didn't bite with tension) 

so can anyone tell me why did i get a nice fit although i clearly did some mistakes? my CIEM didn't bother me and didn't feel it in my head :/ 

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #677 of 8,377
  strange when i was taking the miracle's impressions the doctor asked me about my name and i answered him, there was no bite block so i used one finger as a bite block, yet one thing i was sure of the quality of the silicon was the best in Dubai.

the CIEM turned out to be perfect although i did talk a little and used one finger as a bite block (was relaxed didn't bite with tension) 

so can anyone tell me why did i get a nice fit although i clearly did some mistakes? my CIEM didn't bother me and didn't feel it in my head :/ 

It is quite widely acknowledged that some people's ear canal shape changes more greatly depending on their jaw position, whereas some people's ear canal shape doesn't change as much.

It's one of those strange peculiarities that makes each of us unique.

Some people here on Head-fi have had such a difficult time achieving a good CIEM fit that they've actually abandoned CIEMs altogether, whereas some other people, like yourself, say they had their impressions done while they were talking, dancing, or swinging from the chandelier in the audiologist's office, and they still got a great fit.

My earlier advice was simply intended to maximise the likelihood of getting a successful set of impressions and a successful CIEM fit/seal.

Everyone is unique, but if us audio nuts are to have happy experiences from our expensive purchases, then wouldn't we wish to at least try to maximise our chances of a good fit/seal?

You got lucky, but others have a very difficult time getting a successful fit/seal, so the more help they can get to improve their chances, the greater the likelihood that they will end up with a happy outcome.

beerchug.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #678 of 8,377
Interesting about this open-jaw thing. I tried listening to my universal IEMs mouth open and closed this morning, definite improvement in soundstaging with my mouth open.

In my case, opening my mouth changes nothing at all. I wear my  IEM  eight (to 10) hours a day and I eat and snack as I drive (all while listening). Mind you, when I eat I switch to podcasts and not music, but a loss of seal would let in wind, traffic, and engine noises. I don't have that problem at all. My triple-flange hybrid tips are so tight I have use a little lube to get them in my ears.

It's interesting that in all the years that I've worn IEMs (since 2004), I can't feel a lack of a proper seal. Three-quarters of a seal feels the same as a complete seal, I just have to go by noise and the sound I am accustom to hearing. As my triple-flanges age, they lose their ability to completely seal without necessarily looking (or feeling) like something is wrong.

Anyway, I hope the nozzle diameter of the universal Roxanne is one I can work with so that I can give it a try. If not, oh well.....I'm still not interesting in the custom route.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #681 of 8,377
Anyone have any idea of the technical specifications of the universal Roxanne? Specifically, the nozzle diameter as I spent 3 months and $150 on different eartips before I found the Westone Star tips which are perfect for me. Medical issues preclude me from CIEMs but I am hoping the universal Roxanne will use what Shure, UE and Westone use for their universals, namely, the 2.5mm nozzle.

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #682 of 8,377
Email jh support that us a good question. For me universals drove me crazy to get a good consistent fit . In the end I went customs . Even with my fitear tg334.

Al D

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #684 of 8,377
+1. On that thought , I had one for a short time for family and friend reasons , after about a year it took it down, to many people looking for you and just an overall allowing staring ears to just pear at your info.

Al D

Nov 25, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #688 of 8,377
You want these threads:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/multi-custom-in-ear-monitor-review-resource-mfg-list-discussion-28-reviews-audio-earz-aud-8x-added-11-19-13/0_30

http://www.head-fi.org/t/578855/things-to-consider-before-getting-your-custom-iem-impressions-done-the-perfect-fit/0_30

Hugely useful. Thank you and previous poster who pointed out the things to consider thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back