New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne"
Dec 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #1,321 of 8,377

Frankly, I'm not impressed. This speaks 2 things to me:

1) Jerry evidently does not believe that his products are good enough to speak for themselves, and thus need glamourising in order to achieve sales.

2) Jerry seemingly thinks so little of potential customers that they must be:

A) heterosexual male
                            B) Lesbian
                            C) Simple-minded & lecherous
                            D) unable to purchase a functional product based upon it's technical performance, and thus require the purchasing decision to be influenced by sexual connotation.

This is not very far removed from Coke's more forthright subliminal efforts in the infamous ad, below:

Doubtless, I'll be shouted-down by many saying that a glamour girl is not at all the same thing, but I would counter that it's only a matter of degree that seperates the 2 campaigns.

It's an unwelcome return to the 'T & A' ads of the 70s and 80s, and trying to be 'edgy' for the 'counter-culture' of the rock music scene does not negate or excuse this.

CIEMs have nothing whatsoever to do with a sexist ad campaign that demeans potential customers, so Jerry's attempts to 'sex-up' his new CIEM range is very poor form. Do I need an open-mouthed model, made-up to the nines, wearing a low-cut top with CIEM dangling at the cleavage, and pouting suggestively, like a trout, to convince me to buy CIEMs?

No.

Oh, and BTW, Jerry - you forgot to leave a condom packet in/on the CIEM case at the end, just for those of us too mindless to put 2+2 together.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #1,323 of 8,377
Mython relax man, this isn't even their ad. It's from a company called Second Impressions who's primary focus is apparently workplace health and safety?

http://second-impressions.com/

I am sure they deal with ear protection for workers, but I'm baffled as to why JH would go with them as representatives for their musician products... Either way I'm Canadian and I wouldn't bother dealing with them. Why bother with a middle man when I can just go straight to the source.

Besides this, do you need a reality check? Practically all ads use good looking men or women (maybe not in a sexual way, but still). Are you implying that all advertisers expect their customers to be either opposite sex or bi? Come on... good looks capture attention (even if you're straight), and that's the main objective of any kind of advertising. Have you ever seen ads for opticians? What do good looking women with pouty lips have got to do with glasses?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #1,324 of 8,377
To be fair - isn't JH Audio's prime demographic performers and sound engineers in the rock/pop music industry?  I don't think this piece of marketing material was intended for the denizens of head-fi.  

IME doesn't seem off-kilter for the intended audience, its worst sin is being a bit too cheesy.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #1,325 of 8,377
JH product.

JH low-cut top.

JH CIEM case in closing shot.

JH website URL in closing seconds

Do you really think this ad wasn't run by Jerry before release?

I stand by my remarks.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #1,326 of 8,377
To be fair - isn't JH Audio's prime demographic performers and sound engineers in the rock/pop music industry?  I don't think this piece of marketing material was intended for the denizens of head-fi.  

I agree that on the whole it's sort of classless, but it doesn't seem off-kilter for the intended audience.  IME its worth sin is being a bit too cheesy.

It's insulting to a whole swathe of people, from whatever demographic you choose to mention.

(not aimed at you personally, just addressing the point): Should we assume that performers, sound engineers & the rock/pop music industry are all sexist &/or lecherous &/or don't buy technical products unless they are associated with sexual overtones?

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM Post #1,327 of 8,377

Unique Melody 

Fit Ear. 

LOL at you guys. I guess no one takes their product seriously. His phone is even named Siren. Perhaps we're over thinking things a bit. 

Personally, I think getting all anal about a bubble and art work is pretty wussy as I'm a performance guy myself but at least I understand the economic value of advertising and options. That JH took a vid of their still shot guy doing pics is meaningless as it relates to the product itself.

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #1,330 of 8,377

It's insulting to a whole swathe of people, from whatever demographic you choose to mention.

(not aimed at you personally, just addressing the point): Should we assume that performers, sound engineers & the rock/pop music industry are all sexist &/or lecherous &/or don't buy technical products unless they are associated with sexual overtones?

I honestly don't believe it's given that much thought - sorta like the 'loudness wars', whatever can be done to capture a fleeting attention.  The intent isn't so much to sell but to announce.  

Also Jerry's a dude tattetted to the 9s who has married (according to his wikipedia) a woman he met at a club, and another he met at a DLR concert.  No judgement here, but his values might differ on things like this.

Personally, I just care about his passion for building the best CIEMs he can and pushing things in this industry forward.  

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:04 PM Post #1,331 of 8,377
  Jesus Christ... this makes me think JH products are cheap SHI*T. I am deeply disappointed and can't utter another word...

If this were all we had to go on, I would too.  Fortunately we have alot more to go on than a silly video that would be a reject for a beer commecial.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #1,332 of 8,377

Unique Melody 

Fit Ear. 

LOL at you guys. I guess no one takes their product seriously. His phone is even named Siren. Perhaps we're over thinking things a bit. 

Personally, I think getting all anal about a bubble and art work is pretty wussy as I'm a performance guy myself but at least I understand the economic value of advertising and options. That JH took a vid of their still shot guy doing pics is meaningless as it relates to the product itself.

No over-thinking involved, and (though some will prefer to believe otherwise) no prudishness either.

I'm not offended by any woman dressing however she wishes to dress. I'm not offended by XXX media, either.

All I'm saying is I'm offended by the blatant sexism of the JH video advert. It's a subtle but substantial distinction, and although it won't offend everyone, it very insulting to many potential customers, whatever demographic they may happen to be a part of.

I don't wish to derail the thread (hopefully, my recent posts in this thread will make it apparent that I am contributing sincerely to the thread, with the best interests of all, at heart), but, in a brief digression, I feel justified in making the point that this kind of marketing is outdated, outmoded, and offensive to a significant number of people. I also realised, from the outset, that I would catch some flak for publicly stating my opinion, but I stand by what I said.

beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #1,333 of 8,377
JH product.

JH low-cut top.

JH CIEM case in closing shot.

JH website URL in closing seconds

Do you really think this ad wasn't run by Jerry before release?

I stand by my remarks.

If the ad was running on TV then I'd agree with you. But it's on Youtube and has a whole 200 views, with 90% of them probably coming from this thread. I don't think Jerry gives two ****s about what Second Impressions came up with. And if this was to be a professional done video ad for JH and they approved it, then something is seriously messed up at his company because in no way shape or form is that ad worthy of being shown anywhere. Especially the end, the transitions are terrible and the font choices are even worse. I'm not a professional but I can open Adobe Premiere and make a better commercial in under 15 minutes.

You didn't seem to have any problem with him naming a product "siren series", which is literally the objectification of women's beauty according to greek mythology, but now you get your panties in a bunch? Even if Jerry did release a proper professional ad with a model to advertise the "siren series", it would sort of fit with the product. In fact, it would be a lot more appropriate than some of the ads Pepsi puts out.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #1,334 of 8,377

If the ad was running on TV then I'd agree with you. But it's on Youtube and has a whole 200 views, with 90% of them probably coming from this thread. I don't think Jerry gives two ****s about what Second Impressions came up with. And if this was to be a professional done video ad for JH and they approved it, then something is seriously messed up at his company because in no way shape or form is that ad worthy of being shown anywhere. Especially the end, the transitions are terrible and the font choices are even worse. I'm not a professional but I can open Adobe Premiere and make a better commercial in under 15 minutes.

You didn't seem to have any problem with him naming a product "siren series", which is literally the objectification of women's beauty according to greek mythology, but now you get your panties in a bunch? Even if Jerry did release a proper professional ad with a model to advertise the "siren series", it would sort of fit with the product. In fact, it would be a lot more appropriate than some of the ads Pepsi puts out.

I hear ya.

I just expect better from JH.

My mistake, & I learned something today...

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,335 of 8,377
Has anybody tried out a demo model or received their order yet? Can't wait to get the lowdown on these (even though they are out of my price range).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back