New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Apr 30, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #706 of 740
qa 1.jpg qa2.jpg

latest update:removed the foam from the driver inside now you see the drivers,removed one of the metal headbands infront that i can adjust the drivers like K-1000.Now the drivers are quite angled and the headphone has become also lighter and is very comfortable.One of my friends was listening to this and said it beats everything.It's open from behind but you don't loose the fullness and bass.Listening to Karen Carpenter she is almost staying infront of me ,the singer stands literally infront of you and the orchestra is somwhere far behind.Stil Lambda pads on the front side.

Last edited:
May 21, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #708 of 740
the treble remains smooth and detailed although overall clearness has increased, still everything sounds smooth and relaxed rather emotional,it's a joy to listen hours with this phone

Oct 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #710 of 740
Can't really compare 009 to Float - they are so different in presentation and wear type.
Sound/musical experience is similarly rewarding though, based on my short encounter.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-jecklin-float-qa.607422/page-47#post-13214803

I would likely prefer the 009 because personal reasons: it's a good old headphone to wear and sound to hear (though much smaller sound stage), and I am not bothered by its treble.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #712 of 740
Not for me, but this is personal, and reportedly there are people who are bothered, or get fatigue from it. You cannot skip trying it out yourself. The 009 demands smooth, high quality amp and sources: if any of the upstream component has issues, it will reflect them. Since most problems of components today is about a hard sound signature - that has high frequency harmonics, faithfully rendered by the 009 (and by the Jecklin Float, too). Check the Stax thread for more information about the 009 and amp pairings.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #714 of 740
Jecklin Floats are electrostatic I believe. Therefore will ONLY work on electrostatic amps.

Dec 30, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #715 of 740
I mean, is there different electrostatic amps that I can use rather than their own models with Float QA?
How good is SRD boxes of Float?

I have KGSSHV Carbon, the bias voltage required for Float is higher. I know that it won't work.

Dec 30, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #716 of 740
Yes you need an amp that provides low Bias voltages: 230 V DC (Normal)
My Stax T-1 provides both Normal and Pro bias as does my Stax SRM -1 / Mk-2
and Cavalli eXStata Hybrid Electrostatic Amplifier. (which I will be putting up for sale later)
Some older Stax models have both Normal (6-pin) and Pro (5-pin) bias inputs.
Enjoy your Jecklins - they're actually quite good and are fun at a party due to their unique look.

Jul 16, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #717 of 740
Hi all,
Do you all still have the Float? Im considering to buy it but dont know how to choose between the passive or active version of the power supply. I have a very good tube set, so would lose that chain if i would go for the passive one. But how do I know if the active is better. It is made by the makers, so must be great too?
Hope someone reads this.
Greetings, Lukas

Jul 20, 2022 at 7:39 PM Post #718 of 740
Hi all,
Do you all still have the Float? Im considering to buy it but dont know how to choose between the passive or active version of the power supply. I have a very good tube set, so would lose that chain if i would go for the passive one. But how do I know if the active is better. It is made by the makers, so must be great too?
Hope someone reads this.
Greetings, Lukas
EDIT:
After evaluating JJ Float QA and it’s Power Supply Active:

The built in power amp is well choosen, it can fully drive the difficult inductive/capacitive load the transformer / headphones system represents.

The sound result speaks for itself, see next posting.

There’s no general rule about tube amps driving such loads, but one or the other limitation quite often occurs.
At the frequency extremes, bass / treble, the low impedance leads to reduced level and higher distortion.
In the middle frequencies the very high impedance can only be handled, without breaking, by amps that are open loop (“no load”) capable.

Only your manual or the manufacturers can finally answer these questions.

If you find it’s safe to use your (probably expensive) tube amp, it’s possible that it’s typical sound character is enhanced in combination with JJ Float QA and the standard Power Supply.
The tendency might be in the direction of softer treble and enhanced midrange.

. . . . . . . . . . .

A JJ Float QA with the Power Supply Active is on it’s way to my place.
I’ll report back as soon as I can evaluate it.

Meanwhile, to get into it, I’m listening with my old, refurbished JJ Float PS2, bass-EQed with my RME ADI-2 Pro.
Still a very nice experience, even compared to more current ‘phones.
It has qualities you don’t easily find with others.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #719 of 740
Now that I’ve intensively used the JJ Float QA with the Power Supply Active, I can confirm the positive comments that I found.

The following might sound a little like a hype, but it’s not.
I’m not easy to impress and have a comprehensive choice of TOTL headphones.
I do personally own all headphones mentioned in comparisons further down.

• The JJ Float QA stands out from all conventional designed over-ear headphones, and surpasses all, call it “hoover-ear“, models I own - I think I have them all now, even the latest entries to the family, the Mysphere 3.2 and the remarkable RAAL SR1a.

• The QA improves on every aspect of it’s predecessor, the old JJ Float Electrostatic, in all it’s iterations (I do own at least one of each old version).

• The QA has the most natural tonality, even compared to Sennheiser HE-60, STAX SR-009 or L-700.
Tonality is high-end speaker-like, at least comes closest to that from all headphones I know.
QA does NOT need any EQ, from the upper bass through midrange to treble to achieve that.
I’d EQ-ed the sub-bass only, see below.

• The makro- and micro-dynamic resolution is superior. I can listen to very dynamic music, containing very quiet passages without feeling the need to dial them up.
This is where the old JJ Float PS2 can compete too, at the price of less accurate tonality.

• The QA leaves more open space between the drivers and the head than the old version Float, which already had something special about it’s spacial projection.
The resulting sound stage extends beyond what e.g. Sennheiser HD-800S offers, without falling apart.
The instruments and vocals get a realistic,“be there”-feel, usually not found in headphones reproduction.
This might have to do with the much more natural tonality too.
It’s a kind of a 3-D, immersive feel that works with all kinds of music styles, even synthesized sounds.
Other special design or “hover-ear” ‘phones like Mysphere 3.2, AKG K-1000, Precide Ergo A.M.T and STAX SR-Sigma do this too, but by a lesser amount.

• The old Float tends to sound overly bright, albeit not aggressive.
The JJ Float QA puts away with the extra-brightness.
It’s sound is in-offensive, while maintaining all details, but not overly analytical.
Lesser recordings can be enjoyed, their flaws are presented quite obvious, but more like a “charming character“ than an annoyance.
Good recordings simply sound great.
If there’s punch they sound punchy, but in a more realistic way than on some dynamic ‘phones.

• JJ Float QA has a strong but controlled upper bass.
The subs below 80 Hz are recessed by nature of the fully open design.
With my RME ADI-2 Pro‘s parametric EQ I could easily extend this to 30 Hz.
JJ Float QA has indeed overcome the bass power limit that is present in the old Float versions.
I did use this EQ all through my listening, at my typical ca. 70 dBA Leq (long term averaged) listening level, incorporating peaks of over 95-100 dB SPL, without any signs of distortion or saturation, even on bass-heavy music.
The built-in amp and transformers do a good job.
Still, I’d say JJ Float QA isn’t for bass-heads.

• The headband design works well, comfortable even for longer periods of listening.
There’s a mounting option with the drivers placed 2 cm more forward, which I didn’t use.

• The headband and overall design makes it possible to lay down on a pillow.
The back reflections cause minor, but tolerable changes in sound color then.

• Having temperatures of over 30°C currently here in Europe, the fully open design is perfect for listening without sweating.

• Wearing glasses does not at all interfere with wearing Float QA.

• The sound colors and stereo image is remarkably stable even with some variations in position in either direction. This wasn’t the case with the old version Floats, and isn’t with any cupped ’phones too, exception maybe Hifiman HE-1000.
Important for use in the recording studio too, where you need to establish a reliable reference.

• Construction and built quality for both the ‘phones and the Active Power Supply is reasonable and well thought out.
Nothing fancy, form follows function, which is OK with me.

• The Active Power Supply can serve as a 2x 120 W / 4 Ohm speaker amp too, there are connections and a switch for this purpose.
Personally I did not yet test this.

• I even looked inside the Power Supply Active, and without going into detail, as an engineer I’d say all OK.
The Supply is the later, white connector-inlay version, that has overcome the problems with the early, black-inlay-connectors, that were used on the un-amplified first delivery transformer boxes only.
My only point of criticism is the choice of the power switch, the toggle could break if handled rough, or PSU transported carelessly, so don’t.

Did I say I’m impressed - I am, and the JJ Float QA exceeds my expectations.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back