New Jecklin Float QA !!!
Jan 14, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #721 of 740
Today I got my combo. I am very much satisfied of it. Especially when listening classic music, jazz and blues.
Is that the German one or the Chinsettawong version of the headphone ?
I have not seen any wooden cupped ones on their site.
My old orginal Jecklin Floats look very "70's plastic space helmet", in comparison to both new versions.
I hope to hear both new versions this year.

Jan 14, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #722 of 740
Is that the German one or the Chinsettawong version of the headphone ?
I have not seen any wooden cupped ones on their site.
My old orginal Jecklin Floats look very "70's plastic space helmet", in comparison to both new versions.
I hope to hear both new versions this year.
Look here. My headphones are Limited Edition, so they are made from different wood and are of a different color.

Jan 15, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #723 of 740
Look here. My headphones are Limited Edition, so they are made from different wood and are of a different color.
Thanks ,but that was where I was already looking and to me it looks as if they are not made with any wood? Or are the ones on their page just painted black? I will look for Limited Edition
Anyway enjoy yours . My old Jecklins stopped working around the time I got my easier to use HD800 but I would be interested in hearing how these new ones compare to those and some planars like those from HFM.
I have the HEKV2 and it is good and a bit more resolving than the HD 800. But of course not as open and spacious as I remember the Jecklins or even the HD800. In that respect the HD800 is still one of the most open sounding conventional headphones available. Soundstage-wise they are very good. Going by memory the really weak point of the original Jecklins was in the deep bass region. But I listen everyday via my electrostatic speakers so I know the midrange and treble transparency e-stats are capable of delivering.
In recent years the only really comparable openness via headphones to the Jecklins I have heard, was via the Raal SR1A.
But they did not cope with large scale symphonic material as well as I had hoped during the only demo I have had with those.
Even my HD 800 coped better during loud busy parts with some of my hi res reference material.
But the SR1A did sound about as open as I remember my Jecklins doing with "less busy music".
I suspect they were underpowered by the amping used there and then.
Talking amping I noted you went for the QA version with amping onboard . Is it a real top notch reference grade amp and have you compared it to any other quality amps?
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #724 of 740
The JJ Float QA‘s frame is indeed made of wood, my normal version painted black.
No plastic anywhere.

One of the main differences to the original ‘70s Float design is the higher undistorted bass capability.
The natural open-baffle rolloff is comparable, but opposed to the ‘70s version it can be compensated by EQ.

The JJ Float QA can reproduce an orchestra recording‘s forte with original loudness and impact, and a very natural tone.
RAAL SR1a is about comparable with max. bass quantity, albeit different sounding.

I like both for what they are.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #725 of 740
The JJ Float QA‘s frame is indeed made of wood, my normal version painted black.
No plastic anywhere.

One of the main differences to the original ‘70s Float design is the higher undistorted bass capability.
The natural open-baffle rolloff is comparable, but opposed to the ‘70s version it can be compensated by EQ.

The JJ Float QA can reproduce an orchestra recording‘s forte with original loudness and impact, and a very natural tone.
RAAL SR1a is about comparable with max. bass quantity, albeit different sounding.

I like both for what they are.
Thanks , They do call their new version "Wagnertauglich" probably for the reason you just mentioned.
But that is where the Raal disappointed me at the one and only occasion I have auditioned it."Meiner Meinung Nach,
Nicht ganz Wagnertauglich," but I hope that had to do with the amplification used and not the RAAL itself.
And since I listen to music via headphones in bed at night, another advantage of the Jecklin was how I could just slide my head inside the helmet without anything at all touching my head or ears but very natural sound with a soundstage that possible only Raal can rival among all other headphones I have auditioned except Mysphere's and the old K1000. But those are both limited by being not quite Reference Standard dynamic driver based headphones.
I would really like to audition the new Jecklins. But there are as far as I know very few, if even any shops at all outside of Germany where I could hear them?
Which powering option did you choose?
The one with an amp included would get into the same price level as say a Susvara which are the most transparent planars I have heard.
Cheers Christer

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #726 of 740
Thanks , They do call their new version "Wagnertauglich" probably for the reason you just mentioned.
But that is where the Raal disappointed me at the one and only occasion I have auditioned it."Meiner Meinung Nach,
Nicht ganz Wagnertauglich," but I hope that had to do with the amplification used and not the RAAL itself.
And since I listen to music via headphones in bed at night, another advantage of the Jecklin was how I could just slide my head inside the helmet without anything at all touching my head or ears but very natural sound with a soundstage that possible only Raal can rival among all other headphones I have auditioned except Mysphere's and the old K1000. But those are both limited by being not quite Reference Standard dynamic driver based headphones.
I would really like to audition the new Jecklins. But there are as far as I know very few, if even any shops at all outside of Germany where I could hear them?
Which powering option did you choose?
The one with an amp included would get into the same price level as say a Susvara which are the most transparent planars I have heard.
Cheers Christer
Yes, “Wagner-tauglich”, confirmed, absolutely.
Raal SR1a‘s bass is less clean if you drive it harder, but still very remarkable for a fully open design.

I don’t have the Susvara, but the Hifiman HE-1000 V1, said to be their closest offering.
The HE-1000s are great ‘phones, but don’t come close to the JJ Float QA driven from it’s dedicated amplifier.

I have the “Float QA power supply active”, without Transdyn, the package ‘phones + amp sells for 4480€, not quite where a Susvara is located, and Susvara needs an amp too.

If you have a fitting power amp you get away with 1100 less for the package.
https://www.quad-musik.de/index.php/en/products/jecklin-float-qa

As mentioned, I have all Hoover-Ear type ‘phones exist, and the JJ Float QA leads in terms of natural sound and ambience projection.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-jecklin-float-qa.607422/post-17087891
Around-Ear ‘phones always have some amount of “boxed-in” sound, even the best can’t circumvented this like the JJ Float QA does.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #727 of 740
JJ Float QA seems to be good.
I am very interested in it.
I have an old electrostatic jecklin and am not too happy with it.
It has a very rough sound, not like an electrostatic.
I think it is probably due to sponge loss or amp matching issues and not the original sound.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #728 of 740
JJ Float QA seems to be good.
I am very interested in it.
I have an old electrostatic jecklin and am not too happy with it.
It has a very rough sound, not like an electrostatic.
I think it is probably due to sponge loss or amp matching issues and not the original sound.
A well refurbished old ’70s or ‘80s Jeckin “JJ Float Elektrostat” (as they were called) can be quite good, clearly in STAX SR-009 territory, except for the bass extension.
Unfortunately the effort for refurbishment by far passes simple foam replacement, as usually the driver element has lost conductivity to the point where the sound is weak or distorted.

Their construction bottle neck always was the so called “Float PS”.
The designers were well aware of this, so they introduced six or more PSU versions over the time.
The latest iteration is quite good too, but by no means reaches what QUAD achieved with their “Float QA power supply”.

I have a fully refurbished ’80s “JJ Float Electrostat” with it’s dedicated latest PSU version.
Due to their different, proprietary connectors I can’t easily try it on the new “Float QA-ps”, said to bring them forward too, which is undoubtedly.

My best advice is, before spending significant money into refurbishment of an old one, beyond re-foaming, the new Float QA might be the better invest, as it clearly tops the old model.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #729 of 740
For a long time there has been a great amplifier KGSSHV Carbon, which proved itself well. Thanks to the developer Kevin Gillmore. this amplifier perfectly pumps and Jecklin QA, with the necessary Bias. I use this option and I am very pleased with the sound, I listen to Jecklin QA and Stax x9000 from time to time each model has its own charms when listening to music.

Apr 5, 2023 at 9:17 AM Post #730 of 740
For a long time there has been a great amplifier KGSSHV Carbon, which proved itself well. Thanks to the developer Kevin Gillmore. this amplifier perfectly pumps and Jecklin QA, with the necessary Bias. I use this option and I am very pleased with the sound, I listen to Jecklin QA and Stax x9000 from time to time each model has its own charms when listening to music.
Are you using KGSSHV Carbon to drive your JF? What bias voltage do you use?

Oct 17, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #733 of 740
By the way, now I see on the website that there is only one amplifier left for sale - FLOAT QA Power Supply Active Transdyn Amplifier.
I wonder why this is the situation. There seems to be no demand at all. Or what is the reason?

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #734 of 740
By the way, now I see on the website that there is only one amplifier left for sale - FLOAT QA Power Supply Active Transdyn Amplifier.
I wonder why this is the situation. There seems to be no demand at all. Or what is the reason?
Having non left points to the thing being sold out for the moment, so there must be some interest.
Maybe they build on demand.

The Float QA would deserve to become more popular, there’s not much available in this quality range.
And it’s well thought out, improving on the original design in every regard - and this one already was good.

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #735 of 740
Having non left points to the thing being sold out for the moment, so there must be some interest.
Maybe they build on demand.

The Float QA would deserve to become more popular, there’s not much available in this quality range.
And it’s well thought out, improving on the original design in every regard - and this one already was good.
Yes, the headphones really produce the excellent sound. Although many people do not like their design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back