New iRiver AK70
Mar 1, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #991 of 1,293
  I like these retractable USB cables
https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030317&p_id=10959&seq=1&format=2

I use my Samsung 2A charger. The AK70 does get warm while charging. I tired a a lower power source like USB from my PC or a battery pack and it made no difference in heat. One thing I never do is use those quick charge devices. I only charge my AK70 when it is not playing. If you charge and play it gets hotter. Unless it is fully charged, then leaving the charger plugged in does not make it any warmer than just playing without the charger plugged in.

Thanks.  Good to hear a non-alarmist take since I already tend to the other side that's more vocal.  My short experience with one player is hardly evidence, but I still think something is not quite right, if not simply a matter of significantly subpar "battery performance" (charging/discharging) and perhaps AK trying to mitigate that.  I'll remain curious though I'll try my best not to look further.  Caring about charging cables is too much and AK is what it is.

Quote:
  Has anybody compared ak70 with ak300 or ak100 II....maybe I'll get one of those just not shure which one it will be.

Only briefly, and I found them very similar.  With Noble Katanas and Hifiman HE-560.  Also similar power, but though the AK70 is supposed to have more on paper it was doubtful to me in practice, mostly with the HE-560's.

FWIW, I traded my AK100ii for the AK70.  Some trade-offs,but there's no logical lineage between the two, so instead of weighing all factors in a sideways move I chose the latter since the smaller size (hard to judge from a few mm difference in specs) makes it a lot more portable to me, as I had wanted.

Mar 2, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #992 of 1,293
Does anyone else have a problem with the "Sleep off" power setting reverting to "Always on"?  In any state--plugged or unplugged, with or without a restart--this is happening on my player.  There doesn't seem to be a trigger for the reversion since it happens after a short but undetermined amount of time even without touching the player.

It seems unlikely to have a logical reason since it doesn't revert instantly, but is there perhaps another setting that defaults the sleep setting to off?  Wifi and Bluetooth are always off for me.

I haven't tested this issue with the other two power settings since I like their defaults.  Hopefully, if it is a bug, the inability to hold settings stops here.

(I am running the latest system update.)

Mar 3, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #993 of 1,293
  I got a charging question:
My AK70 is connected to my Chord Mojo via a very short microUSB to microUSB cable.
It is a pain in the butt to re-plug this short cable every time after charging...  
mad.gif

Is there a way to charge the Mojo and AK70 while still being connected to each other?
The Mojo (very conveniently) has a separate microUSB for charging and microUSB for data-in.  Unfortunately the AK70 does not...

I wish the Mojo would have charged the AK70 through the microUSB cable.

Any smart ideas?!

Anyone?  Am I the only one using AK70 with a Mojo, and hates the fuss with the short USB cable every time I need to charge?!
I wish AK70 had a seperate microUSB for charging, just like the Mojo... 
frown.gif

Mar 4, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #994 of 1,293
Hi I would like some help please , I am considering the AK70 to replace my Sony naa15.
It will mainly be used with my Sennheiser momentum and my vmoda forza Metallio headphones for portable use .
I may use it for Tidal or Spotify but this is not a major need.
How ever I also have a pair of Hifiman He1000headphones that I use with my home Hi-Fi set up and I was wondering if the AK70 would drive them sufficiently for the odd occasion when the Hi-Fi is being used by my daughter.
The Sony player just does not drive them enough

Any help or comments greatly appreciated

Mar 8, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #995 of 1,293
I am so happy of my AK70, my best mobile companion.
I use it stand alone with LZ A4 earphones or with external dac/amps with AUDEZE Sine.
I am used to AudioNote tube sound (my hifi setup) and i consider AK70 as a real big success.
I strongly advise anyone about to purchase a DAP to check this little jewel.

Mar 11, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #996 of 1,293
I'm about to pull the trigger on this used combo.  Comes with the AK70 case and the Dignis combo case and that fancy cable.  Good deal at $720 USD right?  I was planning to just get the mojo to use with my phone and laptop, but I've had the AK70 on my mind since I tried it at a shop a couple months ago.  I really liked the form factor and UI, and at the price of this combo I think it is worth it.    

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #998 of 1,293
Should be arriving on Tuesday hopefully. Really excited. My first mp3 player was an I river. Coming full circle I guess

Mar 11, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,000 of 1,293
Just a quick question does Ak70 suport Android music players like Neutron,poweramp and Hibymusic, i like the player but dont like the default player Uci.
Nope, unfortunately. The simplicity of the GUI is actually one of the things I like about it though.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #1,001 of 1,293

I do,I find Ak Jr more enjoyable and "punchier" , especially in the midds department. Needless to say that , sound wise I prefer Ak Jr over AK70.

Soundwise I also prefer AK Jr over AK70. I was completely disappointed with UI of AK Jr and lack of DAC function by AK Jr on my iMac and... I bought AK70. UI of AK70 is a huge improvement in comparison to AK Jr and AK70 is nearly perfect for me ("nearly" because WLAN range of AK70 ist not good and for this price it could be much more better from my point of view). AK70 works perfectly as DAC on my iMac and iPhone (what AK Jr does not do). Yesterday I did a direct comparison of sound quality of AK70 vs. AK Jr. I heard several soundtracks on the both players with HD800S. It was a little bit regrettable for me but for my taste the sound of AK Jr was for all tracks better (like "Soundtrap" wrote "more enjoyable and "punchier"") than the sound of AK70. I can not understand it from the technical point of view (thought that sound specs of AK70 should be better than AK Jr) but it is what I hear and feel.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #1,002 of 1,293
What a way of reading 60+ pages and end up considering a Jr.

Mar 18, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #1,003 of 1,293
have an issue plugged my AK70 into windows 10 and windows wont install the mtp driver so i can see the Ak70 so i can drag and drop music across to it.
Any ideas or pointers to driver updates etc thank you

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #1,004 of 1,293
Ak70 vs Sony ZX2

Zx2 price dropped to 600$ almost similar to ak70.

Which one would you go for ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back