New iPods don't work without iTunes?
Sep 17, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
other than i hate apple or i hate i-tunes i have never heard a valid reason.

Slow, uses too much computer resource (compared to similar things like Winamp), has too many useless features, etc.

I organise my files by actually organising my files. I already do everything iTunes does and more.

Sep 18, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

lossless should be as good as the music gets on a computer if not i am ready to be educated.

What?
blink.gif
Is this a reference to someone else's comment?
confused.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

other than i hate apple or i hate i-tunes i have never heard a valid reason.

I want *my* music playing/managing application to give me a transparent access to *my* precious music collection and I expect it to be flexible enough to enable me to easily do what *I* want to do with it. It needs to know its place, in other words, and not overstep its authority. Itunes, by default, takes control of your music collection, hides it from you under a shiny gui, gives you only a limited access to it, and tries to influence what you can and what you can't do with it. And I know that you can wrestle some of the control away from itunes, I know, it's just the principle that offends me... And why would I want to wrestle with it anyways when there are much more, hmmm, congenial alternatives available. Other issues, such as it being a resource hog and such, are not that important compared to the above.

If you're happy with how itunes works all power to you, though. Call me a "hater" if you will
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As it turns out, the cracks are starting to appear already...

http://amarok.kde.org/blog/archives/...Supported.html

Go, linux hackers, go! That didn't take too long, did it?

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

lossless should be as good as the music gets on a computer if not i am ready to be educated.

Perfect Lossless files don't magically spring up. They have to be ripped perfectly first.

Sep 21, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #37 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want *my* music playing/managing application to give me a transparent access to *my* precious music collection and I expect it to be flexible enough to enable me to easily do what *I* want to do with it.

You mean you want to actually own what you pay for? HOW DARE YOU!! Where do you think you are? Amorika? I'm going to report you to the Jobstapo. They'll fix you...

Sep 21, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrBenway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean you want to actually own what you pay for? HOW DARE YOU!! Where do you think you are? Amorika? I'm going to report you to the Jobstapo. They'll fix you...

lol
Let them come... I am ready for them: untraceable behind my firewall, immune in my tin hat, surrounded with a perimeter of booby traps, rocking in my chair, on my porch, with a two barrel shotgun on my lap.
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slow, uses too much computer resource (compared to similar things like Winamp), has too many useless features, etc.

I organise my files by actually organising my files. I already do everything iTunes does and more.

x2 to that. I prefer better transparency to what I do. Be able to monitor my folders, do easy retaging and run mp3gain on my files. The only thing I used iTunes for before the 6G is to load Photos and Videos which MediaMonkey/Foobar are unable to do.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #40 of 72
The day that all of my directories went blank on my Ipod when I moved my files to an external HD, I stopped using iTunes.

It is a proprietary piece of software that, like Windows, wants total dominance on an important part of our lives.

I use Ephpod to drag and drop my music on my 5.5g, but I assume Ephpod is included in the "you can't use" list on the newer Classic 80/160 versions.

Too bad.

They are like Pinkie from Pinkie and the Brain...they want to rule the world!

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a proprietary piece of software that, like Windows, wants total dominance on an important part of our lives.

You hit it on the head; proprietary is the dirty word. Funny thing is, that word sank Sony, but it absolutely made Apple.

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #42 of 72
Well I strongly feel that the people who bash apple have never owned one!

I have used very thing out there (have also done some programing) and MACs are head and sholders above everyone.

iTunes is not good for fiddeling with your music (EQ, what not) but it works fine and runs bit bit-perfect. I am a purest and never EQ anything.

I used to not use iTunes and spent a lot of time managing my music files...one day I stopped fighting it and never looked back. I set it to rip and spit out the CD once I put the CD in. Now I can watch TV, or play games while I just through in a CD...in 5 minutes every thing is done and where it should be with album art and everything. I have over 1,000 CD in Lossless and with out iTunes it would be a total mess.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by James63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes is not good for fiddeling with your music (EQ, what not) but it works fine and runs bit bit-perfect.

How exactly is that? Do you mean via the foobar pass-thru or with the airport express?

Or does it actually do it natively?

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How exactly is that? Do you mean via the foobar pass-thru or with the airport express?

Or does it actually do it natively?

iTunes is bit-perfect through the optical out, or through AirTunes.
Just disable "Sound Check" and "Sound Enhancer" and you are set...
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iTunes is bit-perfect through the optical out, or through AirTunes.
Just disable "Sound Check" and "Sound Enhancer" and you are set...
biggrin.gif

Damn, one less thing I can say iTunes can't do.
wink.gif

I asked about that Optocoupler lead. It looks as though, because of my specs[T-M 1.5M] they'll have to order it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back