new Ipods cut off linux - rockbox status unknown.
Sep 15, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #31 of 154
OverlordXenu. Lets not turn this thread into a Apple (Mac) vs. Microsoft (Windows)/other vendors discussion. But short said, I like Apple products because they are very well designed and 'just' works. Every single time...

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #32 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OverlordXenu. Lets not turn this thread into a Apple (Mac) vs. Microsoft (Windows)/other vendors discussion. But short said, I like Apple products because they are very well designed and 'just' works. Every single time...

So you pay a premium for design? And my Windows boxes work fine, as do my linux servers...Saying it "just works" means nothing.

Sep 15, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #33 of 154
OK you two, knock it off!

Do you want to get this thread locked?

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #34 of 154
I think Apple's products are viewed as user friendly due in large part to marketing, as opposed to having superior user friendliness.

Sep 15, 2007 at 1:22 AM Post #35 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you pay a premium for design?

Nope! I pay for a complete package, where design is a part of the deal.
Please point me to a portable computer with all features of the MacBook Pro, for less money.

Quote:

And my Windows boxes work fine, as do my linux servers...Saying it "just works" means nothing.

Good for you!
tongue.gif

I believe most of those who bash Apple products. Especially their computers and Mac OS X have not lived with one for an extended period, and hence don't really know what they are talking about.

Sep 15, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by error401 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think this action will slow Rockbox at all. It's not even really related; Rockbox doesn't use the iTunes DB that this hash protects, so I don't see how it would be affected. It is true that Rockbox doesn't run on the new iPods, but that is due to a hardware architecture change and required reverse-engineering effort. It's pretty unlikely that Apple made these changes to block Rockbox; they were done to cut costs.

Even if it is hacked, we shouldn't continue purchasing them. This is a clear slap in the face, and even if the community can overcome the limitation, why support a product and company that treats you like that? Then again, I could've said that before I bought one due to the proprietary file structure/naming/index for no reason other than to make the device inflexible...

w/o apple's hardware specs for the DAC and analog outs, good luck reverse engineering this ipod...

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:33 AM Post #39 of 154
Further info on why Rockbox looks unlikely
http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.p...1&cid=20609159

It seems that Nano 2'nd Gen has the same issue that it uses a hash - not only for the songs database, but also for the firmware. The hardware *refuses* to load unencrypted firmware.
The Nano 2'nd Gen issues have not yet been resolved (after what... a year?)

Time to hope for a good Creative 160gb....

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #40 of 154
Well, I wish the RockBox guys luck, I hope they can pull it off. they're pretty clever guys...

But if they can't this spells the end of me and iPods.

Sep 15, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #41 of 154
Between this and the calendar crippling, it seems Apple is starting to slowly cripple their products more and more.

Sep 15, 2007 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope! I pay for a complete package, where design is a part of the deal.
Please point me to a portable computer with all features of the MacBook Pro, for less money.

I'm actually curious about what features an out-of-the-box Macbook (Pro) has that a Windows running laptop can't have after a day's worth of software-getting. If you have any examples of such, please list them.

Sep 15, 2007 at 4:14 PM Post #45 of 154
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well this has certainly made me think less of apple.

I am certain that I won't be buying one of the new models unless I can put rockbox on it, so they're losing business by this action.

They see us as only a small market. Most average Joe doesn't care beyond iTunes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back